Meals off site and in room

TheIncredibles!

Winner (?) of the Crazy MIL Award
We always have a car but the only "off site" restaurant we have ever eaten at was Taco Bell YEARS ago. :lmao:

Are there any really fun off site restaurants that we're missing? Kids are 13, 10 and 8. Boy, girl, boy.

Also I have NEVER cooked a meal in the room. I do toast, bagels etc but never a meal. I'd like to this time. What are some of your favorite vacation meals? I have always been turned off because I think I will cook and need something I forgot to order like Salt or ketchup :lmao:

Giordano's Kissimmee is surprisingly close to AKV (I think there was only 3 lights). Well worth it with a restaurants.com gift certificate.

I suppose more people think Medieval times is "fun" dining. (But I prefer a Chicago style pizza at Giordanos, and my kids really like it, too.)

I don't do much cooking, so my favorite "meal" is re-heating giant cinnamon rolls I buy the night before at the Magic Kingdom bakery.

We like Bahama Breeze, and there are 3 locations fairly close to WDW.

Giordano's Kissimmee is surprisingly close to AKV (I think there was only 3 lights). Well worth it with a restaurants.com gift certificate.

I suppose more people think Medieval times is "fun" dining. (But I prefer a Chicago style pizza at Giordanos, and my kids really like it, too.)

I don't do much cooking, so my favorite "meal" is re-heating giant cinnamon rolls I buy the night before at the Magic Kingdom bakery.

We really enjoy Giordano's too! We go to the one on Vineland Apopka road, and also use certificates from restaurant.com!

We make simple things as our kids are still pretty small, (8,6, and 3), and eating out every meal gets difficult.

For dinners, we'll do spaghetti with meat sauce. Only takes 4 ingredients: ground turkey, kielbasa, a jar of sauce, and spaghetti.

Even easier is a container of Butoni ravioli with sauce.

For a side we'll either do a veggie tray or some frozen veggies. Nothing fancy.

Tacos; ground turkey, a taco kit, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes. We use the left over for salads.

We want to try grilling on our next visit, but seems like it would be a hassle having to go out to the grill instead of whipping something up in the room.

We'll also do a appetizer night with a veggie tray, various apps that can be baked, a salad, and dips.

Wish there were a Trader Joe's near WDW. We would have even more options then for easy meals.

Here's a link to a post I made a couple days ago about nearby restaurants.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2834931

Meal ideas

--A bagged salad with the dressing included
--Pasta and sauce
--Fresh Florida fish, fried with a bit of seasoning and olive oil or butter
-- Veggie tray with dipping sauce (then you can use the veggies to dress up salads, or saute the broccoli as a veggie side dish)
--Steaks for the outdoor grills, served with baked potatoes and salad and garlic bread
--Frozen meals from someplace like Costco

For breakfast, we buy eggs, bacon, bread for toast, bagels.

For lunch, we have leftovers, or peanut butter with the bread for sandwiches. We also get a side of mac or potato salad from Publix.

Another vote for Giordannos.
We also went to the Orlando Ale House (on 192, near AK) and loved it. It is very family friendly, good portions, large variety and great prices!
Also went to Bahama Breeze...we liked it...the menu items were different, which was a good change of pace.
Celebration Tavern was very good also...another family friendly restaurant.
Barb

As a displaced Chicagoan, I love Giordano's. They also sell their pizzas frozen, so you can bake them in your room. I'm going to look for the restaurants.com certificates!

If you like homestyle comfort foods, you may like Bob Evans. They have a fairly extensive and varied menu, just kind of an old fashioned general coffee shop like a lot of folks my age (in their 50s) grew up with. Nothing fancy.

It is on the corner of Vineland and Irlo Bronson-US 192. About a 7 to 10 minute drive.

no matter how many restaurants we try while at WDW, we still return (repeatedly:rolleyes1) to flipper's in crossroads.
they have delicious pizzas, flatbreads (my fave is the steak and blue cheese), and pastas. the pasta in a light sauce with bacon, asiago, and sundried tomatoes is absolutely amazing - one of my two favorite dishes ever:cloud9:. btw, dh finds it rather humorous that despite being from a family of very successful restaurant owners, and dining at many finer establishments, our favorite eatery is a pizza place.
also important imho: it is very clean, with an attentive staff. prices are very reasonable, with lunch specials daily.

we've eaten at almost every restaurant in WDW, and many, many offsite, and flippers is still our absolute favorite.

In room low-maintenance meals that don't require anything other than your oven: bagged salads + dressing, pre-made lasagnes, frozen pizza, chocolate chip cookie dough. Pre cooked rotisserie chickens, mac & cheese on the side (heat and serve variety from a grocery store). Burgers (just buns, frozen patties, use some lettuce from bagged salad) with potato chips/pre-made potato salad are also pretty easy but we really like things that we can just throw in the oven when we come up from the park or pool and not pay attention to while we shower, relax, etc. Also easy to grab packets of condiments from CS places to have available at the room.

We are going to have a car on our next trip and try some meals in our room and off site. We have always had the dining plan so have not cooked in our room. We will still eat some meals on site, but not all. For the first time on our most recent trip I really felt it was too much food for us on the dining plan and that it wasn't worth the price.

Giordano's, Bahama Breeze, Sweet Tomatoes, Panera Bread, Chili's, Romano's Macaroni Grill, Outback Steakhouse, and Qdoba are all nearby, and much better than Taco Hell, lol. We also enjoy spending time at Universal and Margaritaville is another of our favorites along with Emeril's and Hard Rock. Disney food is overpriced crap now thanks to the DDP and we eat off site or in our room as much as possible. We like shopping at Publix or SuperTarget (both nearby) and buy plenty of breakfast items, fruit, veggies, and maybe some chicken and fish for a quick dinner. We still eat a few meals at Disney, but not if we can help it.

Publix also makes great made to order subs, so you can pick one up for another dinner while you do your shopping.

Publix also makes great made to order subs, so you can pick one up for another dinner while you do your shopping.

They also have good rotiserrie chickens, add a salad, microwaved rice mix, frozen vegies, easy meal! Buy 2 chickens, you can have the other cold added to a ceasar salad for a nice lunch or dinner or chicken salad sandwiches!

For lunch we enjoy Chick-Fil-A it's nearby, as is the Olive Garden if you're a fan!

no matter how many restaurants we try while at WDW, we still return (repeatedly:rolleyes1) to flipper's in crossroads.
they have delicious pizzas, flatbreads (my fave is the steak and blue cheese), and pastas. the pasta in a light sauce with bacon, asiago, and sundried tomatoes is absolutely amazing - one of my two favorite dishes ever:cloud9:. btw, dh finds it rather humorous that despite being from a family of very successful restaurant owners, and dining at many finer establishments, our favorite eatery is a pizza place.
also important imho: it is very clean, with an attentive staff. prices are very reasonable, with lunch specials daily.

we've eaten at almost every restaurant in WDW, and many, many offsite, and flippers is still our absolute favorite.

It seems like I read somewhere before that they deliver to WDW resorts, do you know if this is still true?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!