ME Negative Experiences

This is going to be our first time taking ME to the resort (in 22 sleeps :cool1:) and i am so happy to hear so many good experiences.
And yes, nothing works 100% of the time. Last trip we rented a town car and got stuck on an on ramp waiting for the presedential cars to go by ... it took FOREVER!!!! Nobodys fault but it still took forever and a day! No system is perfect.

On our trip in Oct. we used ME for the first time. On the way to the resort ME worked great. Really did not have to wait at all. On the other hand, on the way back to MCO we all most missed our flight because of ME. The bus showed up late (about 10 minutes). Then it took an extra (15-20 minutes to load the bus) and then another 40-45 minutes at the next stop. By the time we made it to our terminal, got through security and out to the gate we had about 2 minutes before they started boarding.

Needless to say that will be our last time using ME.

Personally, the only negative we have found with ME is it forces us to take the buses to get around to the parks. The wait and crowds on the bus are not great, especially if you stay at the Boardwalk!!! (The bus is shared by 5 resorts there)

That being said, we love ME because we don't have to see our luggage again until it is delivered to our room, thus saving many painful back from lifting those bags in the past. (I have the photos of us pushing my poor Dad around AK in a wheelchair one year. Man, is that park hilly!)

It doesn't cost anything, also a great bonus. The buses are pretty nice. And well, its a way of extending the "You are there" feeling all the way to the airport!

I agree with those who say that leaving for the airport hours and hours early on the day of departure is a bummer, but I also understand that Disney would rather err on the side of caution and I appreciate that. I wouldn't want to risk missing my flight.

We had one bad ME experience out of 4. We got the the line for the CBR bus at about 11:15 am and stood there forever. I guess because there was no one else waiting. Eventually the put us on a bus with people going to other resorts. By the time we got the the check-in desk at CBR it was almost 2:30.

Other than that, we've had great experiences. My DH hates driving when he's on vacation, so it works for us to use Disney transportation.

What is RAC, why doesn't Southwest offer it, and how will it affect my trip if I'm planning on flying SW?

Thanks! I swear, just when you think you have been around and know everything, someone comes up with something you don't! ;)

What is RAC, why doesn't Southwest offer it, and how will it affect my trip if I'm planning on flying SW?

Thanks! I swear, just when you think you have been around and know everything, someone comes up with something you don't! ;)
RAC is 'remote airline checkin'...think of it as curbside service, just very far away from the curb!! Only some airlines participate in the program at WDW. With RAC, you are able to check your bags right at the resort you are staying at, get your boarding passes issued and then go about your business on your last day. When it's time to head to MCO, you just go right to securitym, no stopping to checkin or such.
SW hasn't started participating fully yet. They are running trials at the value resorts at the moment though. They had a successful trial at POP so included the All Star resorts in the trial. We'll see how that goes and hopefully SW will add the other WDW resorts as well.

The one thing to remember with RAC is that the counter at the resort opens at 5am, and closes around 1pm. You have to have your bags checked and boarding passes issued no less than 3 hrs before flight departure. So, if you have a flight that leaves before 8:15am, you won't be able to use RAC...so plan accordingly.

So if they are not offering it or I cannot use it, can we still check out but leave our bags in resort storage while we hit a park and then when we come back to go to the airport we would take the bags on ME and check them when we arrive at the airport? Is that how it would work? (sorry for all the questions) Not worried about boarding passes, I will get those 24 hours before leaving, it's easier that way with SW.

Of course there have been some bad experiences. It's bound to happen. In fact, it's a statistical impossibility that there would NEVER be bad experiences using ANY system.

But the fact is that these bad experiences are rare exceptions. If you are having second thoughts about using DME, then you will find confirmation of your doubts in that small handful of stories.

It would be just as well to ask about negative experiences with car services or car rentals ... these are good options, too, but they too have some rare bad experiences, just like DME.

Not having second thoughts. Just have never used the service and all I hear is how great it is and to justify all the positive I've read I wanted to hear if anyone had a negative experience.

Not having second thoughts. Just have never used the service and all I hear is how great it is and to justify all the positive I've read I wanted to hear if anyone had a negative experience.

That is a rather subjective phrase, really depends upon your expectations.

Mine weren't met (over 90 minutes once were on the bus, with 2 stops pre our resort). Excessive delay was caused by the off-loading of luggage that many guests had drug along with them.:rolleyes1

I'd only consider it again if:

* reasonable rental car rates were not to be found and, even then, would probably hire a towncar; economizing elsewhere on the trip to make up the difference if needed.

* they instituted ban on onboard luggage or designated express buses for those who didn't have more than small lap carryon.

Good luck to the OP:wizard:

I can tell you there was a couple with two small children that had a very bad experience with the DCL service, but it was of their own making. They failed to read the package and didn't have any of their transportation vouchers, no baggage tags, no baggage claim tickets, barely remembered what flight they came in on.

They complained how long the process took for them to get to the bus. The time was spent for Disney to go out of their way to call the airline, confirm their baggage claim tickets numbers, confirm their baggage had arrived and then went and retrieved it.

Sure, there will be snafus, but most of the time either someone's expectations are too high; they just refuse to sit back and relax and enjoy the ride; or they make their own misery.

To me, no vacation is complete unless you don't have to rent a car and figure out how to get to where you are going, have to stop and get gas, worry if you are going to get a flat tire, handling your own luggage, etc. Disney and the Cruise lines have spoiled me rotten, and I love it!

So if they are not offering it or I cannot use it, can we still check out but leave our bags in resort storage while we hit a park and then when we come back to go to the airport we would take the bags on ME and check them when we arrive at the airport? Is that how it would work? (sorry for all the questions) Not worried about boarding passes, I will get those 24 hours before leaving, it's easier that way with SW.

Yes, if SW isnt at your resort at that point, you take your bags with you and check them in yourself at MCO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter