ME ending next year?

I will continue to rent a car because my time is worth more then my money when it comes to 2-3 hour Bus rides to and from MCO.

Yep, Same here.
And all the time spent during the week not waiting for buses.
We do take boats some times (enjoy the ride and scenery) but I will bet that on busy times we take away at least 10 hours plus for the week by just hopping in the car.
Walk out of a park just once at closing and spend an hour or more to get back to resort.
or hop car and be at resort room in 20 minutes. No more standing just kicked back.
worth every penny.

To my knowledge, Brightline has said nothing about wanting to carry local passengers between MCO & WDW. All their talk has been about carrying passengers from South FL & eventually Tampa. They may or may not be interested in entering this market.

They have, however, offered to share their right of way with SunRail, the local commuter service (for a price, of course.) So you may find yourself riding a commuter train. There's nothing wrong with SunRail trains, but they're a bit less comfortable and plush than Brightline.
The bolded part above, to me, is the biggest "tell" that Brightline wants no part of MCO-DS commuters. Even in South Florida where they are adding several new stops, they are really not targeting short-haul passengers. That's just not their business model, AFIK.

I have used DME 6-8 times now and I have NEVER had to wait at MCO longer than a few minutes to get on a bus to my resort. The longest was about 20 minutes and that was only one time (we had just missed the prior bus leaving). Only had to "resort share" busses from MCO one time too. In 4-5 of our trips, we were in a WDW park, after checking in and changing clothes at our hotel within 60-90 minutes of landing at MCO. You can't say we were just that lucky over time. Yes, we knew where to go and knew how to navigate MCO. Now, going back, it is kinda a drag waiting for the bus to take you 3 hours early (was 2 hours back in the day) but at that point, I am ready to end vacation and get going home.

Mears not reserving their own shuttle buses to Disney's resorts while Magical Express was running?

I thought that was Mears's policy, not Disney's.

If Mears does not revive their shuttle buses, I am sure someone else (Super Shuttle?) will offer something.

Mears not reserving their own shuttle buses to Disney's resorts while Magical Express was running?

I thought that was Mears's policy, not Disney's.

If Mears does not revive their shuttle buses, I am sure someone else (Super Shuttle?) will offer something.
It probably won’t be Super Shuttle, AFIK, since I thought they shut down nationally at the end of 2019, an apparent casualty of the growth of the ride share businesses (Uber and Lyft).

In 4-5 of our trips, we were in a WDW park, after checking in and changing clothes at our hotel within 60-90 minutes of landing at MCO.
I'm trying to do the math here.
Walking off plane and getting to ME: 10 minutes
ME ride to resort (assuming it left immediately): 35 minutes
Check in, get to room & change clothes: 15 minutes
Get to bus stop right as the bus to the park you want is there: 5 minutes
Ride to park: 15 minutes

That's 80 minutes right there, and a LOT of things would need to go right...
* DME bus is loading as you arrive AND leaves as soon as you're on board
* You're the first stop
* No line at check in
* Your room isn't far from the lobby or the bus loading zone
* The park bus is there as you walk up, and has room for your party

I didn't even count the time between landing and getting off the plane. So yes, I'd say you were very lucky to be in a park within 90 minutes (to say nothing about 60) for half of your trips.

It probably won’t be Super Shuttle, AFIK, since I thought they shut down nationally at the end of 2019, an apparent casualty of the growth of the ride share businesses (Uber and Lyft).
Correct - SuperShuttle ceased operations at the end of 2019.

This makes me so so sad. ME was really what made the trip so magical...that feeling of excitement watching the videos on the way to the resort...😞
And the convenience of taking ME back to airport for the ride home was great...gave us an opportunity to talk about and plan our next trip!

Ok, a few thoughts. According to the Brightline site....they won't open until the second half of 2023, which probably means 2024. And as mentioned, they aren't in the business of short haul service. Will Disney tap into this rail service? Perhaps. But, it isn't going to happen quickly. And even if it did, I doubt luggage would be provided for. So, a luggage delivery service would have to be put in place...similar to what DME offered. Wouldn't be difficult, no need to reinvent the wheel there. But once guests get to the end of the rail line in DS, what then? Will Disney offer buses to the resorts? Probably. Just doesn't seem all that efficient to me.
So, what will guests do? I seriously doubt more will be renting cars. The rental car industry didn't take a hit when DME came into being. The town car/limo services did. Most guests aren't thrilled with spending that much money to rent a car, and believe me, when there is a need, the rates go up!!! So, we will probably see uber/lyft taking more people to their resorts, and we will very likely see town car/limo services pick up again!! With Disney charging to park in their resorts now, it will be cheaper to use a car service vs renting a car!!!

And sam_gordon?? I have to agree. My times using DME ran between 60 and 85 mins. Usually right around 75 mins....so if I add that time to getting to my room, then taking a bus to a park? We're at 2 hrs. Only once have I had all the stars align, and been at my resort within 55 mins of deplaning....10 mins walk to DME, 5 mins to check in, walked right onto the bus, no wait, last to board, then 40 mins to resort...last of 3 stops. But that was one time, in all the times I've taken DME since it started!! And I can't begin to remember how many times I've used it.

I'm trying to do the math here.
Walking off plane and getting to ME: 10 minutes
ME ride to resort (assuming it left immediately): 35 minutes
Check in, get to room & change clothes: 15 minutes
Get to bus stop right as the bus to the park you want is there: 5 minutes
Ride to park: 15 minutes

That's 80 minutes right there, and a LOT of things would need to go right...
* DME bus is loading as you arrive AND leaves as soon as you're on board
* You're the first stop
* No line at check in
* Your room isn't far from the lobby or the bus loading zone
* The park bus is there as you walk up, and has room for your party

I didn't even count the time between landing and getting off the plane. So yes, I'd say you were very lucky to be in a park within 90 minutes (to say nothing about 60) for half of your trips.
I"m not a ME fan, but we have taken it and made it inside MK within 60-90 minutes. Here's how:

Walk to ME, board and head to BLT.
Arrive at BLT.
Exit ME and walk to MK.

We usually stay at BLT. No need to go to the room before we hit MK. No bags to worry about because they will be in our room later. If we have a backpack or something we leave it with bell services.

I"m not a ME fan, but we have taken it and made it inside MK within 60-90 minutes. Here's how:

Walk to ME, board and head to BLT.
Arrive at BLT.
Exit ME and walk to MK.

We usually stay at BLT. No need to go to the room before we hit MK. No bags to worry about because they will be in our room later. If we have a backpack or something we leave it with bell services.
I only mentioned going to the room because PP said they checked in, went to the room, and changed clothes before heading to the park.

CAN you get to a park within 60-90 minutes after landing utilizing DME? Sure. But, you need to have EVERYTHING going right AND a resort near a park. Even then, having it happen 4-5 times? Highly doubtful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter