ME ending next year?

I just read about that! Sounds like it goes into effect in 2022. So on our future trips after this year, we'll probably end up using Uber or Lyft instead. Oh well.

Watch WDW substitute DME with this: https://allears.net/2020/08/08/news...rain-to-disney-world-that-could-open-in-2022/

Brightline from MCO to Disney Springs; maybe free for onsite guests, then internal bus to resorts?

Added: re luggage issue: easily resolved by reintroducing luggage delivery to resort room for inbound and Resort Airline Checkin (RAC) for outbound, which WDW had just gotten rid of less than a year ago.

Last edited:
Disney Food Blog just posted about it. Apparently, the new high speed rail is tentatively scheduled to open in 2022 and will connect the airport to Disney Springs. I think the implication they were getting at is perhaps Disney will offer some form of transportation from the rail station at DS - all speculation though.

I'm not surprised at operational cost cutting, but its a little surprising that whatever modeling they did determined this wasn't enough of an overall money maker for them to keep it. Its a perk that tips the scale for a lot of people when weighing whether to stay on site. People who did choose to stay on site because of it were now a captive audience relying on WDW for all their foods and needs - now, these same people may choose to stay off-site or rent a car, which opens them up to off-site dining and shopping options (although, WDW will make $$ with the parking fees). It also bursts the bubble for some people a bit - it was nice to have what felt like an all inclusive vacation that began the second people stepped into MCO. Now people will have to lug kids, grandparents, possibly disabled, and all the luggage onto public transportation before their vacation begins.

I have to guess that the contract with Mears is ending and WDW thought it was a good opportunity to work in the rail and/or Mears raised their prices, which will be par for the course as companies try to recoup from the pandemic.

https://touringplans.com/blog/2021/01/11/disneys-magical-express-end-2022/
I'm curious on the thought process of eliminating it. On one hand, it's another profit opportunity to charge guests an extra $10 or so. Or encourage more people to rent cars, and then charge them for parking. The flip side is that people will be more likely to leave the bubble as they aren't locked into Disney World anymore. If you have a car or an Uber, will go offsite to a restaurant or to Universal as part of your trip?

You can't take luggage on internal buses.. no way to secure suitcases, it would be lawsuit central if one went flying and someone got hurt.
This is true in the current environment, but the presumption is that they would offer some kind of special buses or transporting of luggage from the rail station.

There is no legitimate spin on this, by saying there are so many other transfer options available, such as ride shares. This clearly is a cost-cutting measure, nothing else. During normal travel times, all you need to do is look at the long lines of guests waiting for their motorcoach ride to their Disney resort, to see the demand.

This is really bad news for groups, whether schools, sport teams, or large families. If guests still want to stay at a Disney resort and decide to rent a car, due to no more DME, Disney will generate more revenue from the resort parking fees - that is, if there will be sufficient parking.

When the luggage transfer and resort airline check-in desks stopped operating, I read a post that a CM said those were permanent changes. I am sure that dropping Mears/DME has been in the works for awhile.

When it comes to Disney and cost cutting, I assume NOTHING.
Fair enough. Its all speculation at this point. But I can't imagine they will leave guests stranded at Disney Springs with their luggage. That would create a whole new set of guest relations and logistical issues.

There is no legitimate spin on this, by saying there are so many other transfer options available, such as ride shares. This clearly is a cost-cutting measure, nothing else. During normal travel times, all you need to do is look at the long lines of guests waiting for their motorcoach ride to their Disney resort, to see the demand.
I think its a mix of them cost cutting but also leveraging the rail station that is being built. It doesn't make sense for them to have the rail station but still offer complimentary direct transportation.

I think only the Miami line opens in 2022. WDW line won't be until 2023
That is correct. I just read that with a screen cap in another forum.
Disney Food Blog said 2022 - of course, they could be wrong, but just sharing my source: https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2021...express-service-will-be-discontinued-in-2022/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter