MCO Airport Shuttle for VERY late arrival (Ideas/Suggestions)

TamaraQT

DIS Veteran
Our flight arrives to MCO at 12:43am. By the time we get luggage it will be after 1am. I see no need to pay for a rental car at that hour when a shuttle serves the same purpose for free. Airfare is already booked so changing flight arrival time is NOT an option at this point. I figure we can hop a shuttle to a nearby hotel and get some sleep. We can make our rental car reservation pickup time for 9am-10am. Me or DH can hop on shuttle back to airport and pick up rental car while rest of family is getting dressed. Has anyone done this before? Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? Any recommendations for hotel? The Hyatt in the airport is far too expensive for the short amount time.

There are plenty of the usual hotels just north of the airport on Semoran Blvd. One name to search is "Gateway Village." Most of those have airport shuttles, although you may have to call for one upon arrival with a flight that late. I'd choose a hotel and then call the hotel directly with shuttle questions because COVID may have changed some of their procedures.

Our flight arrives to MCO at 12:43am. By the time we get luggage it will be after 1am. I see no need to pay for a rental car at that hour when a shuttle serves the same purpose for free. Airfare is already booked so changing flight arrival time is NOT an option at this point. I figure we can hop a shuttle to a nearby hotel and get some sleep. We can make our rental car reservation pickup time for 9am-10am. Me or DH can hop on shuttle back to airport and pick up rental car while rest of family is getting dressed. Has anyone done this before? Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? Any recommendations for hotel? The Hyatt in the airport is far too expensive for the short amount time.
You can also sleep in the airport.

I did it for the first time last week when my plane was cancelled and it actually wasn't that bad since I had to be at the airport at 5 am in the morning anyway. There are literally 100s of travelers sleeping but still plenty of space.

You can basically sleep anywhere in the airport before security so I found a good secret spot.

Also, Magical Express and LYNX bus both shut down after midnight.

With hotels you need to check if they run the shuttle after midnight. Some of the cheaper hotels claim to have airport shuttles but won't pick up after hours.

There are plenty of the usual hotels just north of the airport on Semoran Blvd. One name to search is "Gateway Village." Most of those have airport shuttles, although you may have to call for one upon arrival with a flight that late. I'd choose a hotel and then call the hotel directly with shuttle questions because COVID may have changed some of their procedures.

This is what I am hoping for. Currently DH is considering changing our flights to early morning next day. My rental car ressie is for 9am. The Thursday flight would arrive at 843am so it would work. Anyway he figures the cost of the hotel for a night and the inconvenience of going back and forth, the difference in airfare for Thursday morning may be worth it. Right now the current rate isnt worth it. We are hoping for a price drop on that early Thurs flight.

You can also sleep in the airport.
We have considered it.....

Also, Magical Express and LYNX bus both shut down after midnight.

With hotels you need to check if they run the shuttle after midnight. Some of the cheaper hotels claim to have airport shuttles but won't pick up after hours.
We are considering changing flights to avoid the inconvenience. We are not going to Disney so Magic Express is of no interest. If we have to pay for a shuttle like Lynx we may as well pay the flight difference and fly out early Thursday morning instead.

We are considering changing flights to avoid the inconvenience. We are not going to Disney so Magic Express is of no interest. If we have to pay for a shuttle like Lynx we may as well pay the flight difference and fly out early Thursday morning instead.
Just to clarify . . . LYNX is the public bus, not a shuttle. It wouldn't be expensive.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="TamaraQT, post: 63210440]
Just to clarify . . . LYNX is the public bus, not a shuttle. It wouldn't be expensive.
[/QUOTE]
Oh sorry about that. I had a brain freeze and was thinking Mears and similar. Wasn't even considering public transportation being available at that hour either. Thanks for the reminder. I am truly hoping that early Thurs morning flight drops in price and will eliminate my need for a shuttle completely.

There is a hotel in the airport. A Hyatt I believe. We stayed there when Orlando was our connection from a European flight. The hotel was fine and not too expensive. The only downside was that there was no where to grab dinner as the food options all closed fairly early. With Covid I'm not even sure what would be open late or early.

If not then look at the Hampton Inn and Suites Gateway Village. I've stayed there and it's a nice place, right by a few resturants and has a shuttle. They also have free breakfast which is rare in Orlando hotels. Their suite options are a pretty good deal for the price. I believe there is a sleeper sofa. Also if you join the Hilton Rewards thing you usually get free bottled water and better wifi for free at most hotels.

Well it looks like I may have to cancel all plans. My DH and DD15 have medical issues. Although we are all vaccinated my DH has said he has LOTS of concerns with the CoVid numbers on the rise in Florida. We were there in April and his chemo doctor gave him permission to travel. This time she has recommended he postpone due to concerns with the increase of Covid cases. So it looks like we are cancelling. My DH follows orders and believes the Dr would be ok with him going if the numbers and precautions were like they were in April. I am disappointed but I know it's for the best. 😔

Well it looks like I may have to cancel all plans. My DH and DD15 have medical issues. Although we are all vaccinated my DH has said he has LOTS of concerns with the CoVid numbers on the rise in Florida. We were there in April and his chemo doctor gave him permission to travel. This time she has recommended he postpone due to concerns with the increase of Covid cases. So it looks like we are cancelling. My DH follows orders and believes the Dr would be ok with him going if the numbers and precautions were like they were in April. I am disappointed but I know it's for the best. 😔

Sorry you had to cancel.

I had a trip planned later this month but I have rescheduled to Novemeber due to having vunerable household members. Hope you can work it out later.

Sorry you had to cancel.

I had a trip planned later this month but I have rescheduled to Novemeber due to having vunerable household members. Hope you can work it out later.
We spent a week there this past April so something is better than nothing. But I was looking forward to going back in August. I didn't think the CoVid numbers would be on the rise again. I am anticipating some States may be discussing shutting down schools again. Here in NJ parent groups are already requesting online options for unvaccinated children. This is going to be interesting. If we have to shut down again, I want to rent a private home with pool in Florida for a month or two and quarantine there!! 😎😏😂

We spent a week there this past April so something is better than nothing. But I was looking forward to going back in August. I didn't think the CoVid numbers would be on the rise again. I am anticipating some States may be discussing shutting down schools again. Here in NJ parent groups are already requesting online options for unvaccinated children. This is going to be interesting. If we have to shut down again, I want to rent a private home with pool in Florida for a month or two and quarantine there!! 😎😏😂

A Dis vlogger I watch did just that. :rotfl2: Her kids are younger but hubby was working remote they packed up and ended up renting a house and staying there for something like 8 weeks. They did videos on their Disney Channel and her personal channel. I was cracking up but heck I would have done the same.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SeeYaReelSoon/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/AshleysLemonadeStand/videos

I agree it's pretty bad here... and to top that off airlines are a mess.
Have a Disney at home day ! We just did this it was so much fun.
We looked up recipes for our fave disney food. We watched some pov rides we even made shirts.

Sorry you had to cancel your trip. We just did the same thing yesterday -- canceled our trip which was set to start on 8/14. We cannot ignore the increase in COVID cases, especially considering how safe we have been during the entire pandemic. Florida will still be there when this is all over. It will be that much more EPIC when you do get to go!

Sorry you had to cancel your trip. We just did the same thing yesterday -- canceled our trip which was set to start on 8/14. We cannot ignore the increase in COVID cases, especially considering how safe we have been during the entire pandemic. Florida will still be there when this is all over. It will be that much more EPIC when you do get to go!
Hotel prices in the second half of August our plummeting. Looks like everyone is cancelling and the parks will be empty

I never did book a return flight due to skyrocket prices. Out of curiosity I looked today at the rates. I would have returned on Frontier Airlines on Sat 8/28. Well, those prices are still high. But I was shocked that I could have stayed an extra day and left early Sunday morning on Frontier for only $38!!!!:faint: I am so upset. I shouldn't have looked.:sad2: It would have been cheaper to stay an extra day!! I haven't cancelled my rental car yet. I am curious to know if those prices are decreasing too. I know my curiosity will get the best of me and I will have to run the numbers again and see how low it goes. I don't know why I am looking and torturing myself!! :rolleyes::laughing:It looks like people are cancelling their trips like crazy right now. Even the timeshare resorts are showing more availability. I got a few notices from RCI and Interval International that some 2 bedroom options have "suddenly" become available. :sick:

I never did book a return flight due to skyrocket prices. Out of curiosity I looked today at the rates. I would have returned on Frontier Airlines on Sat 8/28. Well, those prices are still high. But I was shocked that I could have stayed an extra day and left early Sunday morning on Frontier for only $38!!!!:faint: I am so upset. I shouldn't have looked.:sad2: It would have been cheaper to stay an extra day!! I haven't cancelled my rental car yet. I am curious to know if those prices are decreasing too. I know my curiosity will get the best of me and I will have to run the numbers again and see how low it goes. I don't know why I am looking and torturing myself!! :rolleyes::laughing:It looks like people are cancelling their trips like crazy right now. Even the timeshare resorts are showing more availability. I got a few notices from RCI and Interval International that some 2 bedroom options have "suddenly" become available. :sick:
Don't beat yourself over the price change. It happens to all of us. I think you made the right decision.
There will be many cancellations until things simmer down case wise.

I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip. Staying home is still better than pushing on and regretting it later.

For future reference, as a pp mentioned, there is a Hyatt right inside the airport. We have stayed there many times for late arrivals or when we're only staying in Orlando 1 night pre-cruise (ahh, the good ol' days). It is super convenient.
We once had a late flight which was due to arrive 11:30pm. Well, there were thunder storms all along the east coast so we didn't even take off from Philly until after midnight. The kids had fallen asleep and were too big to carry. We were soooo glad that we could all stagger to our room.
It's also convenient in the am. When you want breakfast you have the whole food court there to choose.

Looking is definitely torture. I had my eye on a 3-nt Disney Cruise but now with these high numbers in FL I can't go through with it. Even with DCL taking so many precautions, we still have to get to the ship and that is the dangerous part. So while I try to imagine myself sitting on a balcony watching the ocean float past, I have visions of dh being intubated and that quickly stops any urge to travel. FL will still be there after the pandemic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter