May Vs. Sept, 12 mo vs 17 mo

dizgirl5518

Earning My Ears
Hi all!

Currently planning the first Disney trip for my family. I have been numerous times, but it will be a first for all three of us (husband, myself, and baby). My husband is not a fan of crowds, heat, or waiting, but has agreed to do one day at Magic Kingdom and then he will be spending time at the resort with the baby while I hit the parks during the rest of our stay! We'll be renting points and staying at AKL. May and September are our options. Crowds are low during both times. Now, here are my questions:

1. The baby will be turning 1 in May (yay!) and the trip would be around his birthday. Is 12 months old a good age where he can have fun? Would it make a big difference to wait until he's 17 months?

2. What is the weather like in May vs Sept? Is there a big difference?

3. If we went in May, I'd be missing out on food and wine. Is Food and Wine a MUST experience?

4. Is May warm enough for ample pool time?

Basically, I'm trying to find a time with 1) low crowds, 2) great weather (pool weather a must), and 3) wondering if it's worth it to wait until the baby is 17 months old vs 12 months.

Thanks!

Here are my thoughts:
1. The baby might be more stable walking at 17 months and able to run around more at the age. It won't matter much for rides. Also, eating might be easier if they're eating more solids/regular milk versus transitioning off of formula/breastmilk.
2. May weather can be really nice! It does get pretty hot towards the end of May. September can be pretty hot, too, though.
3. May has Flower and Garden, so I wouldn't worry about missing Food and Wine.
4. Definitely warm enough!

I think between those time periods, it's a coin toss as far as weather and crowds are concerned. Feeding wise, 17 months will probably be easier. My kiddo was 20 months, that was nice. She was able to walk when she wanted to, could sit up right in a high chair and was eating whatever she wanted.

We went on a Disney Cruise when my dd was 18 mos. It was easier in terms of being done with bottles, and she was able to enjoy the splash area (from what I understand, AKL has a great one). She will be easier to entertain at 18 mos in a resort. Having said that, my dd also became more difficult in terms of not wanting to conform to her typical schedule (I.e. nap times, wake-up time), which made her cranky, and IMO eating with a 12 month old is actually easier b/c they are less attention-seeking, less willful, and go more with the flow. My 18 month old was on a “throw things on the floor” stage. Basically, they start to exert a little more control somewhere between 12 and 18 mos. if you’re flying, hands down 12 mos is easier b/c an 18 month old notices everyone else is getting up to walk around. I’d also pick May over September b/c I’d be afraid of a hurricane.

September, especially labor day week is much lower crowds and you get F&W. Its going to be hot either time. Since the baby is young you could probably, depending on your view of this, start keeping him up later and later, and enjoy the parks more after sunset. Our family is usually a strict bedtime family, but they are naturally night owls and we let them stay up as long as they can/want (or until DH is absolutely spent from pushing a double) to enjoy a much more pleasant park experience.

You'll hear everything though, there is no right or wrong answer. Have a great time.

I would definitely not want to bring a 17 month old to Disney. At that age my children were starting to become fiercely independent. They did not want to be held or carried, they wanted to walk and explore and play. They were not content to sit in a stroller and didn’t have much patience. When they were done eating they wanted to leave the table. 12 month olds are much easier in my experience. They still want to be carried and are more content to just be with you and observe. Enjoy!

Brought my middle kid when she was 16 months (oldest was 6 years). Still one of the best family trips. But my middle was and still is a very curious outgoing child who loves loves loves new things and experiences. One thing with younger kids is to remember to slow down so you can actually enjoy their wonderment, not rush off to capture the next big thing. That middle kid also started walking at 10 months and was running by a year and climbing things well before that! Since you aren’t planning tons of park time with the baby any age is probably fine anyway.

As far as May vs September- May can be great weather - especially early May. And I prefer flower and garden festival over food and wine!! Epcot is just so pretty with all the flowers and topiaries!

I have been with an 11 month old, 12 month old, and 17 month old. By 17 months, my older son was scared of characters while he was fine with them at 11 months. A 17 month old will be walking, but a 12 month old easily might not be. Neither of my boys walked before they turned 1. I enjoyed all of these ages, to be honest, but if I had to pick I think younger is slightly easier. May will definitely be hot enough for swimming. I often go in April and it is downright hot.

Every little one is so different. For mine though, they were both walking by 10 months and at a year would not sit in the stroller or be contained. There was far too much to do and see and they wanted their independence. By 15-17 months, they both mellowed down a little and went with the flow.

Based in that, I personally would have found a trip with either of them more enjoyable at 17 months than at a year. Eating also would have been easier because they weren't transitioning from bottles and were better able to feed themselves without immediately needing a bath afterwards... Speaking of which, baths too were easier at 17 months since they weren't as scared of sitting in a big tub and sliding all over.

Every kid progresses differently and has different mannerisms and interests at different ages so it will probably be difficult to really know how your little one will be by then.

May is plenty warm, September you might run the risk of hurricanes. Food and wine is nice, but unless you're a huge foodie, I don't know that I'd personally let that be a huge influence in your decision.

My vote would be September, largely because my kids were easier at that age (though yours might not be), and it gives you more time to plan, make ADRs, etc.

I would go with the younger age as I think that will be easier to manage than a full blown toddler. I also think you'll have better weather in May than you would in September. Both times will be very warm and definitely pool weather. But September can be more stormy and you have chance for hurricanes. I can't imagine you'd get to experience a ton of Food and Wine with a little one anyways so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

We've been when our children have been all different ages and by far I think 12 months is easier than 17 months. Mine were more likely to nap in the stroller or a carrier at that age. By 17 months they were more independent and would fight naps and become overtired and miserable. My kids mellowed out by 2, but in my experience, 1.5 year olds are really, really difficult to have at Disney.

I brought each of my kids at 18 months and they both LOVED being able to walk and run around. It’s a different kind of trip though, we did a lot fewer rides, more shows, parades, dance parties, play and splash areas, and walking (running) around. I remember some tantrums, throwing themselves to the ground when having to get off of Small World or the Carousel, but otherwise, we really enjoyed bringing them at that age.

It’s always interesting to read everyone’s different experiences with this age. We have taken our daughter at 1, almost 2 and this past year at 3. Looking back I think the trip where she was 1 was the easiest! She wasn’t walking yet and therefore did not want to get out of the stroller all the time. Once my kids turned mobile, that is when it got complicated! Between all the bus rides and stroller time, by the end of our last two trips they were real handfuls! This past trip we went in September and it was so hot (we are from Texas, we know heat and humidity!) This made a big difference as well. I would definitely recommend going at a cooler time with a little one. I think if you go in with the right expectations at this age you can have a great trip and make lots of memories. My husband wants to see and do everything while at Disney, but that go go go mentality doesn’t work very well with little ones. Our kids are also far from easy going though lol. Enjoy a trip with them at this stage while at Disney and remember there will be other trips when they are older and can do more.

I'm not so concerned about the babies age. I think either age for your little guy will have its advantage and disadvantages. Although, I do think it's easier to keep control of a younger child.

As a Florida resident I highly recommend May over September especially if you can book towards to first part of May. Both months will have less crowds, but the weather is a huge factor in September. If your husband is not fond of the heat September will be miserable! In September you will encounter daily rain storms and there is the possibility of hurricanes. May is still hot but no where near as bad as September. There is also far less rain. School is still in session in most parts of the country. However, be forewarned that most Florida schools get out the last week of May and seniors and college students get out early to mid May.

I think between those time periods, it's a coin toss as far as weather and crowds are concerned. Feeding wise, 17 months will probably be easier. My kiddo was 20 months, that was nice. She was able to walk when she wanted to, could sit up right in a high chair and was eating whatever she wanted.

May - better weather, baby more agreeable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter