May have to cancel ADR at CP :o(

Nissi

Mouseketeer
I am trying to tell myself it's no big deal. DH and I have been scrimping and saving for about 6 months to pay for this trip coming up in 5 1/2 weeks. When we first planned it out, we made ADRs at CP for 7 people. Now that the trip is almost here and I look at the expenses on paper, I realize that it is just not practical to take the family there for lunch with Pooh and the gang. (5 adults and 2 childen...it was supposed to be our treat.) I spoke to the family and they couldn't care less. But I am sad because I was really looking forward to our first character dining. We are staying off property, so there is no FD for us.

Please tell me it's not a big deal...that it is more important to not have to stay awake at night wondering if we can afford this. That at least we are going and who cares if we do it or not? Right???:confused3

It is no big deal. You can see Pooh and the gang other places, and it is just a buffet. Yes it might be a fun easy way to see the characters, but it is in no way something to lose sleep over. You will still have a great vacation! Remember, it is what you make of it...would you rather go with this black cloud over your head or just go and have a ton of fun? Because, you know, you'd be sitting there eating and thinking, $$$$, not yumm, buffet food (not like gourmet or anything...). :goodvibes

You are going to DISNEY!!!!!! Dont let it bum you out if you need to skip this meal, its just food and characters. You can meet characters in the park for free and the kids will not know the difference or really care too much. Have fun!

We liked CP but not as much as other buffets offered. We actually walked in for dining one night on our last trip, at the last minute b/c we all were starving....and for 2 adults 2 kids, cost us over $100 after tip. Service was horrible. Food, blah and not so good, boring really. I would not worry about it, as PP said you can see Pooh & friends other places. And I could spend $100 + tip much better than waiting on them to come to our table. It's always crowded in there anyway and I was always terrified one of us were going to wear our plate of food, or wear it on someone else! ;)

Disney is a wonderful vacation. Don't let this get you down! You won't be missing much. Let it go and HAVE FUN!! :hug:

Try to find some positive things about not eating at a sit down restaurant- besides the money you will save, you will also save time. I like the dining plan, but do not like the amount of time we spend in the restuarant, especially if there are characters. Also, who can eat that much at lunch, anyway? Another thing is that you would have to automatically pay the 20% in tips if your party is large. So, you are also saving that.

Over all my multiple trips to Disney as a kid I never went to a character dining and I don't feel like I missed out on anything. Don't worry about it, Frankly I wouldn't want to spend that much of my day at a sitdown meal waiting for everyone to come to the table. I'd rather grab a quick lunch and visit characters between rides.

It is no big deal!!!!!

My children have never done a Character meal and they are perfectly fine, happy,and well adjusted kids. (12 and 18) and have been going to Disney since 2 1/2.

It is not the be all end all thing it is made out to be on these boards. I think it is terribly overpriced. When given the choice my kids and myself would always pick an extra day in the parks for the money or even if it wasn't for the money would pick the time it takes for a character meal as riding time in the parks.
Your children will have a fabulous time just going to Disney, it isn't as if there isn't enough to do and you need this to fill in time!

My son had had to "suffer" through Pooh and the Gang, and my daughter was very nonchalant about it when we went... I asked her the other day and she said "ah we coulda skipped it". So, you get ideas about how it would be and we have had to comfort a crying kid more often than not in my son's 8 years! So, it would be horrible if you paid all that and the kids might not like it anyway!

**ETA- I see your youngest is 4 and probably the one you are most concerned about for this, and I am telling you, my DS was scared and crying every year until he was 6! He is a "tough" kid too, not much of a crier and not terribly shy but man those characters, lord he hated them. He tolerates them now as it is, they get very little eye contact from my almost 9 year old!

Definitely don't sweat it! I always find character meals to be very stressful (as a mom, lol)...especially the buffets. You don't dare leave the table for fear of missing a character, lol, and you don't get to eat between juggling kids, cameras, and autograph books. I'd much rather see them in the parks, even if it means waiting in line.

You get better pictures waiting in line and seeing the characters in the parks. No food plates or other people in your pics. :) You'll have a great time with or without it!!

Its really no big deal. I think that the character meals are more about the characters than they are about dining. I dont think that the food is worth the cost. Your paying for the character interaction. Add time to your touring plan to do a few character meet and greets instead. There free and just as much fun. And smile! Your going to disney world!

I've been watching our money so we haven't been to a character meal for a few years and CP is a particular favorite. I tell myself that we will go there the next time when the budget settles down. It won't be that big a deal. :hug:

I wouldn't worry one minute about missing out on CP. We went last year, and to be quite honest it was the worst meal we had the entire week. You can find characters all over the parks without having to pay $$$ for a meal that is blah.

First and foremost, it's only a meal. it's not going to make or break your trip. You will have PLENTY of character opportunities !! We were there 2 weeks ago and I'm telling you, the characters were everywhere ! it was so fantastic. You're going to have fun regardless if you go to a character meal or not.

Let it go and don't worry.... what you can do is look up where the characters are going to be at MK and get a little autograph book and have fun. For the time the characters spend at your table, if you have to do without CP, you are not going to miss out on anything.

Have a WONDERFUL trip !!! :grouphug:

Looking at your signature it looks like you have one little one?
Maybe just one parent could take the little ones to the character meal? Let the other parent and the older ones go off and do some rides that the youngest wouldn't or couldn't do...
Just a thought that maybe this would fit your budget better..
I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip regardless! :)

OMGoodness...Thanks guys!:grouphug:

After reading all your replies, I am actually glad we cancelled! I know I made the right choice now....You're the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter