May 2016 Car Rentals

Just me or did anyone notice that rates seemed to have jumped from already being high to really high. They seemed to jump up 15-20% since last week. I thought I entered in the wrong dates but nope - they have jumped up.

Our rate has gone up too. I am not sure if it is because our rental ends on the Memorial Day holiday.

Our rate has gone up too. I am not sure if it is because our rental ends on the Memorial Day holiday.
Mine ends May 31st, and I see the same prices being quoted as I saw before for the 1 week, 1 way rental.

My rates doubled, if not tripled yesterday. I'm not expecting them to stay there. I'm mostly just glad to see some movement even if it's in the wrong direction right now. It's been stalled where it was for a long time, and I am hoping this is when we start watching daily for drops.

Just booked a May trip for 5/25 to 5/19. Let the search begin. My "go-to" default - Dollar Express is currently $178.95 for mid-size.

Guess I should have jumped on that $178.95. Just checked today and it's $356.90. What the heck is up with that. (5/25 - 5/29 mid size)

Guess I should have jumped on that $178.95. Just checked today and it's $356.90. What the heck is up with that. (5/25 - 5/29 mid size)

Make an Alamo reservation using Brazil code and free upgrade code. Got a compact with upgrade to mid-size for $152.30 (pick up 5/25 at 9 am; drop off 5 pm on 5/29). Pretty happy with that. First time using the Brazil code and CDW was not included (it was offered as an option).

Wow, our rates really skyrocketed today. We are booked at a little over $500 through Costco and $300 with Vegas Brazil. We are holding out for a better rate through Costco. Still haven't been able to find a mini van rate with the Vegas Brazil code that doesn't include CDW.

Glad to see its not just me, going may 3-8 and its over 300...preposterous. Alos saw the 6 dollar a day firefly rate, but wow .20 a mile after the first 5? CRAZY

Just booked a trip for May 14 - 28 and I'm horrified by the rates. We always rent a minivan from Alamo, but it's almost $1200!! I'll drive to FL before I'll pay that. I can get a minivan through BJ's travel for $756 at Dollar, has anyone used Dollar? Can you choose your car, or do you have to stand in line inside?

Just booked a trip for May 14 - 28 and I'm horrified by the rates. We always rent a minivan from Alamo, but it's almost $1200!! I'll drive to FL before I'll pay that. I can get a minivan through BJ's travel for $756 at Dollar, has anyone used Dollar? Can you choose your car, or do you have to stand in line inside?
If you were to look through the threads from the last few months, people said they saw the same horrible jump in prices at around the same time. I am confident prices will not stay that high. It seems to be the pattern. Nobody in the months before us paid this much, and I there's no reason we will have to either.

This is seriously crazy. Add me to the list of people in disbelief. I can only hope you are correct and the rates do come back down

According to Costco, mini vans are only available through Alamo. So are all the companies booked up on mini vans for our dates? Seems odd.

Wow, our rates really skyrocketed today. We are booked at a little over $500 through Costco and $300 with Vegas Brazil. We are holding out for a better rate through Costco. Still haven't been able to find a mini van rate with the Vegas Brazil code that doesn't include CDW.

Ditto! For some reason the rates right now are astronomical. I don't think the Vegas will ever be available for a minivan without CDW. I have no intention of sticking with my VegasBrazil reservation because of the CDW. Unless of course if the rates did stay where they're at right now, then I'd just have to take my chances with the VB booking.

If you were to look through the threads from the last few months, people said they saw the same horrible jump in prices at around the same time. I am confident prices will not stay that high. It seems to be the pattern. Nobody in the months before us paid this much, and I there's no reason we will have to either.

I know you're right, but I think everyone is just a little shell-shocked because we expected as we entered March we'd start seeing some decent rates. When I saw a quote from Alamo yesterday at $1100 I pondered for a moment :scared: OMG, am I actually going to have to ride the buses this year... and my eyes teared up a little bit :worried: just at the thought of it :)

Ditto! For some reason the rates right now are astronomical. I don't think the Vegas will ever be available for a minivan without CDW. I have no intention of sticking with my VegasBrazil reservation because of the CDW. Unless of course if the rates did stay where they're at right now, then I'd just have to take my chances with the VB booking.

I know you're right, but I think everyone is just a little shell-shocked because we expected as we entered March we'd start seeing some decent rates. When I saw a quote from Alamo yesterday at $1100 I pondered for a moment :scared: OMG, am I actually going to have to ride the buses this year... and my eyes teared up a little bit :worried: just at the thought of it :)
Oh I totally understand! I want to see those prices drop fast! I wasn't sure if everyone had been reading the other threads where this seems to be the new trend. I won't relax completely until the prices become reasonable again but I am hopeful that they will.

Hi, I have been trying and trying to get an Alamo rental in May using the Vegas/Brazil code with no CDW included. NO luck,no matter what car category I choose. If I have 2 choices of same class car one will say no cars available and the next choice will include CWD. I have tried to modify reservation and I cannot figure out how to remove CWD that way either. Can anyone offer me any HELP?? Thanks, Joan

Hi, I have been trying and trying to get an Alamo rental in May using the Vegas/Brazil code with no CDW included. NO luck,no matter what car category I choose. If I have 2 choices of same class car one will say no cars available and the next choice will include CWD. I have tried to modify reservation and I cannot figure out how to remove CWD that way either. Can anyone offer me any HELP?? Thanks, Joan

I have also been unsuccessful trying to remove or book without CDW. I am not sure that there is anything you can do.

I noticed some movement with Alamo today and a few of the others. Still not low enough to book but in the $300 range rather than $700.

subscribing... thinking of going may 4th to 11th.

Dollar is down this morning. Booked a midsize for week of May 21st for $133 (no coupons/promo codes). I have never used Dollar car rental at MCO.

Dollar is down this morning. Booked a midsize for week of May 21st for $133 (no coupons/promo codes). I have never used Dollar car rental at MCO.

Thanks for the heads up. I was able to get a full size vehicle for a total of $149. using my AAA membership on a 10 day rental: 05/21 to 05/31 . That's significantly cheaper than Alamo - who I hope will go down pretty soon.

Hello everyone, heading to Disney end of April and renting a car to take us to Fort Myers after Disney, 04/30-05/14. We've done this before, rented at Car Care Center and returned at RSW. Have a ressie with Alamo right now using the Orlando Magic Card code and a free upgrade code for $486. Also tried the Brazil/Vegas code which gives me a super low price, but nervous to use it...$288 for the same Midsize car. After playing with the type of car and the V/B code, I saw that if I went higher than a Midsize, the CDW would be added in, in case that helps anyone.

Going to try autoslash as mentioned on here and see if I can track prices. Last year, I saw significant price drops 3 weeks before our trip. Will post back here if I see any movement. Will check out Dollar also, haven't rented from them before either. We need to pick up on/near Disney property, staying at POR :)

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter