May 2016 Car Rentals

Anyone have a clue about Costco travel? last year, their site offered the best deals I could find.... now when I go to their site I have difficulty finding a good res.- and when I go to the particular rental brand site,and input the costco travel code(I am a member) it comes up with great prices? I tried 2 different trips upcoming, and both worked the same,(different companies,different locales) what is happening?
I see no difference using the Costco Canada Travel website or the Costco Canada contract id on the Alamo site - both are high and have only risen the last few weeks. I use UT (and prepaying) as a watermark of what I should be able to get elsewhere with a deal (and UT has been cheaper previous) but even they are as high as Costco and Alamo with the Costco code right now. My current cheapest res for a week starting May 16th is still the one made through Costco last August.

My costs came down using 7016427 and AD3868JST - Now booked a one way for the week of 5/23 - 5/30 at $174.61 for the full sized sedan. (pickup @ MCO- dropoff @ Disney CCC)

Minivan folks, note I saw one available at $226 for the week. Been awhile since I needed to rent one, but looks like a good price.
Rates dropped again. Just got a minivan for $205.66 for 04/30 - 05/07

Rates dropped again. Just got a minivan for $205.66 for 04/30 - 05/07
I just reserved a Standard SUV for the week for $218, but keeping my full sized original reservation with no insurance added in for now.

IMHO, These prices still seem high.

Last edited:
Dollar rates dropped today.
What are your dates? Mine haven't dropped yet, but I suspect you are leaving before me. All the early April people saw big drops at Dollar last week. We leave April 30th, so I think it's coming. :)

Just booked a May trip for 5/25 to 5/19. Let the search begin. My "go-to" default - Dollar Express is currently $178.95 for mid-size.

What are your dates? Mine haven't dropped yet, but I suspect you are leaving before me. All the early April people saw big drops at Dollar last week. We leave April 30th, so I think it's coming. :)

I leave the same day. Rates haven't dropped for my times yet either but I'm checking daily.

I am still not seeing any great deals for May 21-28. We prefer Alamo and their rates as of today are much higher than what we usually pay. Hopefully will see a price drop soon!

Carrentalsavers.com has Economy and Compact through Firefly for $5/day May 15-23rd, and Intermediate for $6/day. Comes up to $93 or $102 for my dates. However, that rate only allows 5 miles per day. Extra miles are 20 cents per mile. I did some math though, and even allowing for a Universal day I get around 85 miles for my 8 days. That would be $9 for the extra 45 miles. I'm not sure what a hassle it would be, assuming I have to pay for the extra miles when I return the car. Tempting though!!

I saw that. Really good rate. But I'm concerned about Firefly as I've never used them. Add in the mileage restrictions and I think I'm just going keep waiting.

I am still not seeing any great deals for May 21-28. We prefer Alamo and their rates as of today are much higher than what we usually pay. Hopefully will see a price drop soon!

We are watching for similar dates. 20th through the 30th. Still no great rates. Have something booked and we keep watching.

Take heart, I just put in dates for late February and late March for the same number of days & car class that I will actually need at the end of May and got some very competitive rates. In the past it seems like even 5 months out you would see some really good deals. But the past few years it seems like you have to be at least within the 90 day mark if not less before you see rates you can live with. I'm optimistic rates will get better as May approaches.

Take heart, I just put in dates for late February and late March for the same number of days & car class that I will actually need at the end of May and got some very competitive rates. In the past it seems like even 5 months out you would see some really good deals. But the past few years it seems like you have to be at least within the 90 day mark if not less before you see rates you can live with. I'm optimistic rates will get better as May approaches.

Definitely agree with this. For the same time period last year, the cheapest rate I found was on April 2nd. Still plenty of time.

Rates on Dollar dropped today.

Thanks. They dropped for me depending on when my pick-up date would be. I can pick the car up earlier than originally planned and get a 10-day rental for less (total) than if I waited two days and only got a 8-day rental and also, a 12-day rental costs less than 10-day rental.

We haven't decided yet how we will handle renting two cars with half of our group arriving two days later than the other half. Prices will probably change but as it stands now, we will pick up two rental cars when the early part of our group arrives.

Just me or did anyone notice that rates seemed to have jumped from already being high to really high. They seemed to jump up 15-20% since last week. I thought I entered in the wrong dates but nope - they have jumped up.

Dollar rates dropped for my dates (4/30-5/14) through carrentalsavers.com (lower on the dollar site as well). I'm now sitting at 182 for a full size.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter