Mass Shooting at Orlando Club

Exactly.

They hacked his phone and computers and nothing - no links back to any of the people supposedly who were romantically linked to him either...there is 0 evidence.

I don't know that it really matters. It may have impacted his target selection, but it isn't really relevant to how we will attempt to stop similar terrorist attacks.

I don't know that it really matters. It may have impacted his target selection, but it isn't really relevant to how we will attempt to stop similar terrorist attacks.
CampbellzSoup said:
I think it's completely relative as there's been a false narrative spread why he did the things he did.
Actually, I think you are both right.

My personal opinion is that he deliberately targeted Pulse because of his hatred for gay people -- which one could reasonably argue is NOT out of step with Islam generally (being gay is a crime in 40 out of 53 majority-Muslim countries, often with death as the penalty). And hatred of gays is very much a hallmark of radical Islamic groups. But I think CPanther95 is correct that knowing that doesn't really help us avoid further attacks. The way you prevent attacks is to identify terrorists before they strike, not by focusing on one particular target group.

As far as the false narrative, I think there are two groups of people focusing on the shooter's possible sexual interests.

There are many people who simply can't believe there are bad people out there, and that any time someone commits some horrific crime like this they must be crazy. For them, there must be something badly wrong with the guy's head...so maybe it's conflicted sexual feelings. Or indigestion...or whatever -- anything but bad. These folks may not have any particular political motive for bringing up that explanation -- they just can't believe someone could be this cruel and bloodthirsty. Unfortunately, they are mistaken.

The other group clearly has a political agenda: wanting to deny that there is any such thing as "radical Islam" or a "radical Islamic terrorist" and deflect the attention to another (any other) possible motivation. Those folks aren't delusional; they just have an agenda.

It is too soon to say if it was ISIS. It could have been Kurdish militants (PKK), in retaliation for letting the US use Turkey territory for air strikes.

That's why I didn't label it ISIS, could very well be Kurdish terrorists. Just posted it here because it is likely some radical islamic group carrying out another attack.

Last edited:
Horrible incident- it has all the earmarks of a coordinated Islamic Jihadist terrorist attack.

ISIS or PKK. . . could be either.

The video of the one terrorist blowing himself up is beyond chilling.

Thoughts and prayers to all the victims and their loved ones.

I feel horrible for the victims of the Turkey attack and my prayers are with them. I flew back into NY last night and the security was very much in force, but I don't know how you can ever get around the kind of attack Turkey experienced other than stepping up smart surveillance. How can a government manage 1MM people on a watch list?

Regarding Orlando, I am so disappointed in the media. I am a journalism lover and a believer in the 4th estate, but I'm afraid that is disappearing. Media speculation from unnamed sources without confirmation is becoming a normal course of action. Why is something presented as facts these days followed by a page 15 retraction? Does the media have a political agenda; does social media? We as a civilization need to be aware of this and make sure our opinions are not being formed for us, regardless of political beliefs.

Actually, I think you are both right.

My personal opinion is that he deliberately targeted Pulse because of his hatred for gay people -- which one could reasonably argue is NOT out of step with Islam generally (being gay is a crime in 40 out of 53 majority-Muslim countries, often with death as the penalty). And hatred of gays is very much a hallmark of radical Islamic groups. But I think CPanther95 is correct that knowing that doesn't really help us avoid further attacks. The way you prevent attacks is to identify terrorists before they strike, not by focusing on one particular target group.

As far as the false narrative, I think there are two groups of people focusing on the shooter's possible sexual interests.

There are many people who simply can't believe there are bad people out there, and that any time someone commits some horrific crime like this they must be crazy. For them, there must be something badly wrong with the guy's head...so maybe it's conflicted sexual feelings. Or indigestion...or whatever -- anything but bad. These folks may not have any particular political motive for bringing up that explanation -- they just can't believe someone could be this cruel and bloodthirsty. Unfortunately, they are mistaken.

The other group clearly has a political agenda: wanting to deny that there is any such thing as "radical Islam" or a "radical Islamic terrorist" and deflect the attention to another (any other) possible motivation. Those folks aren't delusional; they just have an agenda.

Regarding Orlando, I am so disappointed in the media. I am a journalism lover and a believer in the 4th estate, but I'm afraid that is disappearing. Media speculation from unnamed sources without confirmation is becoming a normal course of action. Why is something presented as facts these days followed by a page 15 retraction? Does the media have a political agenda; does social media? We as a civilization need to be aware of this and make sure our opinions are not being formed for us, regardless of political beliefs.
Yes, they have an agenda.

You're lucky if you get a retraction. These days, if they are proved wrong, they've already moved on to the next thing and never acknowledge it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter