• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Masks Never Bothered Me Anyway-An August 2020 TR *Completed 2/26*

This Cheese Tastes Weird

James really wanted to go on Barnstormer next. It would have been a walk on but we got there right when they started a sanitizing cycle, so we waited 10 minutes. Got to check out the Tron Construction though.

Who’s excited?

Since we were in Storybook Circus we had to ride Dumbo.

url= ]
50397840103_2cf54808e8.jpg
[/url]

Our breakfast had long since worn off, and we were hungry. We had a later lunch, so I didn’t want to eat too much. James’ number one Disney snack is a Mickey pretzel, so I got him one of those. I got something that has escaped me for years, the Disney churro. A little background on my love of churros. It all started when I was a little girl visiting Disneyland. My dad bought me a churro and we watched the parade. It is one of my favorite memories of my childhood. Well churros turned into my favorite fair/amusement park treat. We got them several times on our trip to Disneyland in 2018, yet for some reason I had never gotten one in Disney World. I never see them anywhere, why are they so hard to find?

Any way, we stopped at the cart outside Storybook Circus and there they were, in all their glory. The CM asked if we wanted chocolate or cheese to go with our treats. We declined, but the other CM gave them to us anyway, for free. It was super hot, so we took our treats into the mask relaxation station in Storybook Circus for some much needed A/C. It wasn’t very busy in there so we actually were able to get a table and chairs.

J did not like the cheese dip that it came with, said it tasted weird. So I give it a try and to me it tasted like Cheez Whiz, which J has never had. I laughed, it is quite an acquired taste. We have had the cheese dip in the past and I don’t remember it being like that. Has it always been this way or is this newer?

Fully rested and with full bellies we headed back out into the heat for some more rides. We headed over to Tomorrowland for a spin on the Speedway.

I was so sad about the Peoplemover still being down, I really hope it is back up next time we visit. We moved on to Buzz Lightyear. I think the posted wait was around 30 minutes, but we only waited about 15 minutes.

I am forever chasing the high that was getting Galactic Hero, sadly today was not the day to relive that accomplishment.

I couldn’t convince J to go on Space Mountain, so we turned to a ride we haven’t done in forever, Astro Orbiter. We have only done this ride one other time, and J was 18 months old at the time. The wait was brutally hot, even our fans couldn’t save us on this one.

I don’t generally get scared on rides, but the height on this one freaked me out a bit.

That said, you do get some great views of the park.

It was time to head back to the front of the park, for a shirt and mask change. With how much we sweat that day, this was a welcome change. First though, we had to stop for some pictures.

This one is too funny to me. The PP was trying to get James to do the cute magic shot with the balloons, but the sun was in his eyes, so this is what I got instead.

We got this last picture right before Goofy’s Cavalcade came down Main Street. I took advantage of no one in line at the end of Main Street for this fun picture.

We stopped in the Emporium and picked up a new mask for me and one for J. After a quick changed, we headed back down Main Street just in time for the princesses to make their way down.

Last edited:
Joining in..great TR. such low crowds. We go in 2 weeks. I too am excited and nervous..I have not really planned much at all..

Joining in..great TR. such low crowds. We go in 2 weeks. I too am excited and nervous..I have not really planned much at all..
Welcome! Enjoy the not planning. As a planner myself, heck I do it for a job, it was so nice to have a trip that was just go with the flow for once. It will certainly be busier than what we experienced in August, so have a good idea for the morning to get the most important things done and then just do whatever you can the rest of the day. We are going back in February and I am excited to have another no plan trip.

I love your churro memory ❤❤❤.
Thanks, to me churros symbolize that joy and innocence that Disney brings, so glad I got to have one finally.

Yo Ho Yo Ho Out the Boat You Go

After stopping to watch the princesses, much to J’s chagrin, we were ready for some lunch. We were eating at a new to us restaurant. I swear I have had reservations here probably three times, but I always end up canceling. This time, we were actually going to eat here.

We didn’t have long to wait until we were seated in the mess hall.

I really liked the theming in there. I just wish the CMs would be more like skippers. Our waiter was great, he had fun teasing J, but it wasn’t super skippery if that makes sense. J and I both got the chicken.

The chicken was bland and dry, if you’re not an adventurous eater (I am not), I would probably skip this restaurant. The one thing that was a big hit was the chocolate cake that J got.

He was so excited to get such a fancy dessert all to himself. After lunch, the wait times were a little long for my liking, so we did another new to us thing, The Swiss Family Robinson Tree House. We were the only ones there, so we really got to take our time and explore.

After exploring the tree house, we saw that Aladdin had practically no wait. So another spinner ride it is for us.

We decided to just go in order clockwise around the park to finish up all the rides and attractions we missed on the first time through. Tiki Room was right there, so we did that next. Interestingly, even though this was by far the least crowded Magic Kingdom day I had ever experienced , it was the most crowded I had ever seen the Tiki Room.

We got in line for Pirates next, and waited about 20 minutes.

The CM kindly asked us to disembark by saying, “Yo ho, yo ho out the boat you go” Gotta love CMs who have fun with their job.

Next it was on to another new to J attraction, Country Bear Jamboree. As we were walking over we spotted Big Al and Liverlips on the balcony above the attraction. We had just missed the show, so we waited in to the cool A/C for the next one to start. Before they let us into the waiting area though, they sanitized, which was nice to see.

J was very bewildered by this show much like DH was when I took him there the year before. J did enjoy it though.

The show let out just in time to see another character cavalcade. By this point, I think we had seen them all, and without really trying.

Last edited:

Sorry your lunch was blah. But the cake looks good! Kinda nice just to take your time going from one attraction to another. I'm sure your son was loving his solo trip with Mom.

Sorry your lunch was blah. But the cake looks good! Kinda nice just to take your time going from one attraction to another. I'm sure your son was loving his solo trip with Mom.
It was, I don't think we'll ever be able to have a trip like this again. I am not a go with the flow person, but it was actually nice to do Disney like this for once.

Ice Cream Bribery Works

Right on schedule the storm clouds came rolling in, which provided me with the perfect spooky backdrop for the Haunted Mansion.

We donned our rain jackets and pushed on, we were so close to getting to all the attractions and a little(it was actually quite a lot) of rain wasn’t gonna stop us. By the time we sprinted into Fantasyland the rain had really started coming down, we sought refuge in the Little Mermaid queue, which isn't totally covered in the beginning, but better that nothing.

There was about a 20 minute wait, probably the longest I had waited for this ride. It did give J and I time to figure out a game plan for the rest of our evening. We were slowly running out of time and there was just one more thing on J’s must do list and one on mine. I had to bribe J with ice cream to do mine, will he accept?

When we got to the section with Flotsam and Jetsom I noticed the emergency lights were on, but the ride continues to move. We made it to Ursula before the ride stopped.

We were only stopped a few minutes, but the overhead lights never turned off. Next we did J’s must do attraction, Mickey’s Philharmagic. The rain was an on and off drizzle at this point, but the park had really cleared out. With Winnie the Pooh only a ten minute wait we got in line before my bribe ride. While we were in the queue where Pooh normally meets, I noticed this neon paint just sitting out. Is if from painting the ride??? Very strange…

So did J take my bribe to ride Space Mountain?

\​

He sure did.

The queue was wrapped all around the area outside near the face painting and where the cabanas used to be. Even though the wait seemed intimidating, we only wait about 25 minutes.

He was scared, but ready to conquer his final mountain of the day.

That face :rotfl2:

He hated it, but it was worth it for the ice cream.

We had time for one final ride of the night and J chose Buzz Lightyear, it was a walk on.

Even though I tried so hard, I somehow did worse???

J did much better this time around.

With the park closed we spent some time taking pictures by the castle, not quite ready to say goodbye.

We had perfect timing because right as we were about to walk out, Mickey and the gang came out to say goodbye.

We made it about two steps outside the turnstiles and I remembered I had left the stuff in the locker. Thankfully the CMs let me in no problem to retrieve our things. We took the Monorail back to the Poly.

Before heading back to the resort, we stopped at the McDonalds near Animal Kingdom for dinner.

The dining room was closed so we took it back to the room to eat. Since there was still lightning in the area we couldn’t swim, so we just stayed in the room watching Mickey cartoons until we went to bed.

Overall it was a really fantastic day at Magic Kingdom. In fact I would say it was probably the most enjoyable day at MK I have ever had. I think the crowds are the worst here in general and it was so nice to be able to walk around without 1000’s of other people around, I could actually enjoy the surroundings. I really enjoyed the spontaneity of the cavalcades, and it was so much better than have to fight to stake out a spot for a parade. The one thing I did miss was interacting with CMs, its so much harder to do now with distancing and masks. Of course the fireworks were missed as well, but at the end of the day I was just happy we could go and enjoy the park, limits and all.

Last edited:
Despite the rain, it looks like a great day! I think the trip will be a great memory for you and your son.

It's Bananas

We were up bright and early for our day at Hollywood Studios. We went over to Old Port Royale for some breakfast first. Right outside our door, I realized there was a banana tree with bananas actually growing on it.

You could say it was bananas

The Office GIF

We each got a kid’s serving of Mickey waffles, it was the perfect amount.

We can’t go to Disney without getting Mickey waffles at least once. After breakfast, we walked to the Skyliner. At about 8:15, 2 hours and 45 minutes before the park opened, the line was all the way to the street and then some. The skyliner didn’t start running until a little after nine, but once it did the line moved quickly and we were in our gondola by 9:15.

One interesting thing to note is that, we were on the gondola and the Pop Century line hadn’t even started moving yet. I can’t imagine what a mess that place looked like when the Pop guests got there and I’m sure it took forever to get to the park that day for them.

While I think the new security check points are much better than the old bag check, I did learn something about the scanners that I will share with you. Every time we were told that there was no reason to take anything out of our bags, and every time I set the metal detector off. They were only telling guests that umbrellas needed to be taken out. Well I carry a lot of metal things into the park, yeti water bottle, big external battery charger, DLSR, and cell phone. I wasn’t sure which thing was setting off the detectors, but when we got to DHS that I told J to carry his water bottle in front of him like they were instructing umbrella carriers to do. I did the same thing and the metal detectors didn’t go off. So if you carry something metal and cylindrical like we were, save yourself the time and carry it through, it will save you some time.

Once we were in the park we had a choice, head right to MMRR or Slinky Dog. I had heard conflicting reports of them running rides early and the line for MMRR was already spilling out. The last thing I wanted was to be trapped in that building or on the ride when Rise boarding groups were released, so we headed back to Toy Story Land. MMRR was J’s number one ride he wanted to ride all trip, so it was a little risky skipping it first thing guaranteeing us a ride, but I relied on my planning and info and we’ll see if it panned out.

A rare empty Toy Story Land shot.

J already had his cooling towel out, it was going to be a scorcher that day. The line for SDD was not bad at all, at 9:30 and we were here.

They opened the ride 10 minutes later and five minutes after that, we were ready to ride.

At 9:55 we found a bench where Woody used to meet to wait.

J had just taken a sip of water, which is why is mask is off, just FYI. So my DH is the one who had gotten boarding groups for us in the past and I was stressed about messing it up. It reminded me of the nervousness and anxiety around getting those perfect FPs 60 days out. The clock struck 10 and there were no boarding groups to be had. I am furiously hitting buttons and nothing. There were people standing next to me and they could see anything either. After too many seconds of stressing, the boarding groups were finally released and…

High on life, we headed to Toy Story Mania next.

We got directed to the third track, which I have only been on one other time. Good luck was on my side because I had a pretty good score for me.

Wait times were already pretty bad, so we just decided to stay in TSL and ride Alien Swirling Saucers next.

With wait times high everywhere we had to decide what to do. Tower of Terror is my all time favorite Disney ride and has been since my very first trip to WDW. All my kids hate it though, so I don’t get to ride it nearly enough when they’re around, which is most of the time. I asked J if he would go on it with me, and he reluctantly agreed. The posted wait was 50 minutes, but touring plans said 35, they don’t usually steer me wrong, so we got in line. The line was down Sunset near the entrance to Fantasmic.

After about 10 minutes we were already in the actual queue entrance. We overheard two CMs explaining to a manager CM that there was a man in line who was refusing to where his mask. The manager disappeared into the line, but having heard two sets of CM needing to get back up about masks, I wondered how prevalent it is? Not long after we got to this point, we got an alert that it was time to ride Rise. I was really putting a lot of faith in touring plans now. According to Disney we still had another 40 minutes left to wait plus ride and walk time it was going to be cutting it close.

Even more of a bummer than HM, the preshow on ToT was also turned off. At least I got to spend some time with the lights on to take pictures.

After a 40 minute wait we were on the ride. J was terrified, but we survived. No PP from this ride either. We weren’t super crunched for time and I was on a mission. Just a few days prior Disney had released new ToT Minnie ears. I had seen a tweet from earlier in the morning with only one left on the shelves after an Ebay shopper had cleared the shop out. Luckily, they had restock and I picked up a pair.

Thank goodness for these benches, we needed a little rest.

We waited about 20 minutes, and we had so much fun using the phone to scan all the items, it flew by.

Thankfully they hadn’t cut the preshow here. Everyone was assigned a number which we used in the first preshow, waiting
outside for the transport, and in the transport itself.

Since we had to go into the transport on our assigned spots, we were actually in the back for the first time. So I was checking out the back window and then when we started moving I turned around to watch the front and everyone was staring at us. I was confused for a moment, then realized the animatronic of Bek in the front was not working and hidden, so the main thing to look at was actually our back window.

When you’re resorted for interrogation, we were placed with two other girls. The interrogation room is so tiny, I don’t think I would have been comfortable with anymore people than that. We had a vehicle all to ourselves as this was before the plexiglass was installed.

Rise was amazing as always.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying your trip report! I also went in August 2020; I arrived on 8/10, so the day after you left!

I have mostly written out a trip report in a Google Doc, but I haven't even started to post it here. I was thinking it was too late, but maybe not. :confused3

I'm enjoying your trip report! I also went in August 2020; I arrived on 8/10, so the day after you left!

I have mostly written out a trip report in a Google Doc, but I haven't even started to post it here. I was thinking it was too late, but maybe not. :confused3
Thank you for reading. I say, it's never too late to write a trip report, go for it!

Sounds like a great start to your day at DHS! I'm glad you were able to get on all the TSL rides and get a boarding group for Rise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter