Mashed Potatoes

disneychrista

DIS Veteran
How do you like your mashed potatoes?

Smooth, chunky, whipped, or ??? Do you have a favorite recipe? Any tips, tricks, secret ingredients you like to add?

Smooth, chunky, whipped, or ??? Do you have a favorite recipe? Any tips, tricks, secret ingredients you like to add?
If I’m making them for a week night dinner I usually use reds or Yukons and don’t even peel them. Toss in some milk, butter, salt and pepper and use a hand masher so somewhat chunky.

For holidays and nice meals I whip them, use cream instead of milk and use twice the butter. I had an older friend many years ago tell me to add a pinch of sugar and a pinch of garlic powder to help bring out the flavor. I’ve been doing it ever since (and so does everyone in my family now) and it really does give them that little something.

I’ve tried fancy recipes but I’m just a traditionalist I guess. Adding all those extra ingredients just gets in the way of a good gravy. I never pre make my mashed potatoes for fear of making them gluey or gummy.

I sometimes roughly-mash unpeeled red potatoes with butter, milk, sour cream and some powdered ranch dressing mix. It's very good but I don't even really consider it the same dish as "proper" mashed potatoes which are peeled, cooked in well-salted water until very soft and then mashed smooth with a ton of butter, some milk and a good grinding of fresh black pepper. :cloud9: Heaven!

Smooth, chunky, whipped, or ???
o you have a favorite recipe? Any tips, tricks, secret ingredients you like to add?

Yes. All of the above.

I mostly just cook Yukon Golds in salted water, drain, throw in a stick of butter til it melts, start mashing with the hand mixer, and pour light cream in as I go... until they're the right texture.

Dirty. Baby Dutch Yellow. No need to cut. Throw into boiling pot of salt water. Once done, whip them up with earth balance, add a splash of almond milk, chives, green onions, parsley, pepper, salt, and Italian seasoning. Then slow cook them for 2 hours.

Tip: I read somewhere that if you warm the milk/ cream before you add it to the boiled potatoes, it keeps them from being gluey or gummy. That's for wenrob above, (I messed up the quote) and I'm also going to try your pinch of sugar and garlic powder tip next time I make them. Thanks

We always steam the potatoes in a double boiler and then just mash them by hand with a little bit of butter and milk. I love adding sour cream and chives or I make a fantastic orange teriyaki salmon with ginger mash (my attempt at recreating a dish from Sardis in NYC).

I follow the Pioneer Woman's recipe. Delicious. I don't eat many carbs now but might have to have a tablespoon Thursday :)

I use my mixer, but I'm careful not to overwhip them.

I add lots of salt to the water before I boil them and drain them.
Then add butter, milk, cream cheese, sour cream, garlic and then mix. :)

I will use any kind of potato, just have to adjust my mashing or whipping time. Cooked in salted water.

Lots of butter, a bit of warmed milk or cream, sour cream or sometimes cream cheese and salt (if needed) and pepper.

Rarely do we have mashed potatoes at a holiday meal. So many other carbs that we don’t figure we need it I guess, but it’s just never been a traditional dish for my family or dh’s and so now it’s not for our family.

I used to think I hated mashed potatoes when I was a kid, but it might just be that my mom's were of the "gluey" variety. :scratchin (I did like the instant ones in TV dinners. :laughing:) As an adult, I'm partial to the "smashed" variety with skin on and garlic added!

I’m vegan so so are my mashed potatoes. I use hand mash because I find whipping makes them gluey. Just some vegan margerine, salt and pepper. That’s it and so delicious. Chives or roasted garlic are also a good addition.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter