Marriage Equality!

Rights to every American who deserves them.

Today is a day that hate gets smaller and people can't hide behind their "beliefs" to extend their hate.

Today is a great day for Americans who want to get married - and have it legal.

Again what an amazing awesome day.

I can't believe I'm alive to see it.

"Although the policy arguments for extending marriage to same *** couple may be compelling, the legal arguments for requiring an extension are not. The fun-
damental right to marry does not include a right to make a State change its definition of marriage... In short, our Constitution does not enact any one theory of marriage."

In closing I think the Court overstepped and acted like a legislature.

No, but it is pretty clear on equality, and the Loving case decades ago opened the door for the courts to limit a states ability to discriminate in marriage law.
Equality should never be up to a vote. The courts exist to protect minorities from the whims of a majority.

Does this ruling now allow first cousins to marry in all 50 states. Will under 21 year olds be allowed to marry in all 50 states without parental permission. There are many differences in State laws when it comes to marriage, will these all be addressed.

Wait, you forgot that this will also lead to people marrying their dogs or legalizing their true love for their car, lol. And to be totally clear, that was said tongue in cheek! I'm sure my facebook newsfeed will be full of these kinds of dire predictions from my husband's extended family.

What politics it's national headline news - where are the politics associated with it?

Yes it's a national headline, but it's a politically charged headline as seen on all of the different major news networks. It has blatant political associations with it, which are outlined as not to be discussed on the Disboards.

Wait, you forgot that this will also lead to people marrying their dogs or legalizing their true love for their car, lol. And to be totally clear, that was said tongue in cheek! I'm sure my facebook newsfeed will be full of these kinds of dire predictions from my husband's extended family.
Never said that, my opinion is the Federal Government is overstepping it's bounds. It is a state jurisdiction not the Feds. Why not add an amendment to the constitution for it. I am all for Same Sex Unions being recognized by Corporations, State, and Local Governments.

Does this mean we can now marry our dog, brother/sister, or some other inanimate object? Where do you draw the line?
Although I do have an extraordinary relationship with my iPad, I have no desire to marry it. ;)

I'm honestly quite amazed that you would even post that pigletgirl, and not understand what a lame argument it is. My dog surely would have loved to marry my DH ;) but he was not a CONSENTING ADULT. Nor is my iPad.

And you know what? Comparing two PEOPLE who love each other and want to marry to animals and inanimate objects is a bit insulting.

I remember when your daughter was about 7 months old, and the topic of homosexuality was discussed, you said that if that precious baby of yours was gay, you'd talk to her and allow her into your home "within reason". I still think about that sometimes, when I see the hostility towards the LGBT community. Kind of broke my heart. I can't imagine not loving and accepting my child unconditionally, particularly for who they are.

Yes it's a national headline, but it's a politically charged headline as seen on all of the different major news networks. It has blatant political associations with it, which are outlined as not to be discussed on the Disboards.

So are you going to tattle on it then? If so... then just do it already. If not... then just ignore the thread.

Watching the news here in Austin and Rick Perry has already issued a statement about how disappointed he is by the ruling. It's always interesting living in Texas when big lgbt issues are being discussed. The rest of the day should be fun to watch as people work themselves into a tizzy around here.

It's a beautiful day today for love. Love rules.

Today is a long awaited day for many. It's about love. That's a good thing.
I would hope we could agree to disagree (if necessary) without hopping to the absurd.

But the absurd "slippery slopes" are all bigots have to mask their hate. There's no logical reason for being against equal rights for all people. It's all fueled by hate, but nobody wants to say "hey, I'm a bigot!" So people wrap their hatred in absurd arguments so they can feel like they're protecting something that makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter