March Break at the Yacht Club! - UPDATED 07/21

Thank you all for reading along!

I will try to give you my Coral Reef review this weekend.

This trip report has been wonderful, and you have REALLY started to persuade me into thinking maybe I should scrap my original plans of where to stay and book the Yacht Club! What a beautiful resort, and every time I visit the Epcot resort area I always take a stroll through those lobbies just to get a feel of the magic it holds.

I am this close to paying extra and going for it :)

I'm of the opinion that anywhere you stay at Disney is better than a vacation anywhere else, but the YC is beautiful and I don't regret the money we paid to stay there!

Think I will be forever in awe of your spreadsheet:scared1:

Thank you for appreciating my spreadsheet! :goodvibes

I'm an avid planner, and for all things in my life I love a good spreadsheet. My Disney one isn't something many people see, but I love it. I use it to build my excitement leading up to the trip and just before we go I print an 11x17 version that sits on the desk while we are at Disney so we can plan our days while we are there.

The best part about the Dis is you can unveil the most obsessive parts of your personality and it all seems normal. :rotfl2:

Thank you for appreciating my spreadsheet! :goodvibes

I'm an avid planner, and for all things in my life I love a good spreadsheet. My Disney one isn't something many people see, but I love it. I use it to build my excitement leading up to the trip and just before we go I print an 11x17 version that sits on the desk while we are at Disney so we can plan our days while we are there.

The best part about the Dis is you can unveil the most obsessive parts of your personality and it all seems normal. :rotfl2:

ITA:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

It has been awhile but I’m back. I can’t believe how long it is taking me to write this trip report. Sorry about that, but it just seems that work is getting to me these days and by the time I get home I’m exhausted and don’t have the energy for writing. I also started a blog this year and while it isn’t a great work of art, it is surprisingly time consuming. All that said, I’m not a person that doesn’t finish things, so if it takes me the rest of this year, I will share all my thoughts and pictures from our trip. So where were we….

After lunch at B&C it was time to check out the pool. My son was playing the teenager and decided he didn’t want to go to the pool (What! Are you kidding me! It is SAB, that’s Stormalong Freakin Bay!) Oh well, not to ruin our afternoon, my husband and I went to the pool without him. My husband isn’t a swimmer but loves a good sit by the poolside, so we loaded up a bag with books, iPods etc. and headed to the pool. Taking out another Dis tip, we went to the seating area on top of Hurricane Hanna’s. It is lovely up there.

We were at the BC/YC during the construction that left all of the pools open, but did cause a barrier down the centre. I know those of us who plan our Disney vacations for years and months in advance hate to see construction but hey, the property doesn’t stay so pristine without the occasional maintenance, and I’m always impressed by how unobtrusive the construction is. Truly, the worst part of the construction for us was that I couldn’t get some of the beautiful, expansive photos of SAB that I have seen from others.

Here is the construction zone

450_small.jpg

And as you can see, here are all the people still having a great time at the pool.

448_small.jpg

I had a great time at SAB. I checked out the pool areas, went down the slide (a bit bumpy, but fun), and then I headed to the lazy river portion. On the way to the lazy river I saw the cutest mama and baby ducks. They were paddling around in the pool and when it was time to leave she just walked them out the pool steps. She didn’t care that there were a bunch of people using the steps. You could just hear the mama duck saying “coming through, mind the babies, excuse us, coming through”. Everyone just stepped aside and let them go on their way.

Once at the lazy river two lovely little girls offered me their tube since they were done with it. I enjoyed myself and relaxed my way through a couple of laps of the lazy river. When I was done I saw a father and son asking someone where to get a tube so I said they could have mine. But I told them I was lazy and didn’t want to get too wet, so I would meet them at the stairs. Of course, when I tried to get off the tube and put my foot on the stairs, I slipped and plunged right into the lazy river. That taught me not to be a prima donna, and made me laugh.

After swimming it was back to our room. As we arrived on the 5th floor we saw some additional treats. The Mars Company was having a convention at the YC and many were staying on the CL. This meant that for much of our stay there were big bowls of Mars chocolate bars available for everyone. As if the CL lounge offerings aren’t enough, we now had unlimited chocolate bars available. Mmm

Our evening plans were to have supper at Epcot. Before supper I decided to head out on my own. I was determined that on this trip I would fully explore each country around the world. I found on previous trips when we stayed near the MK, we only visited Epcot a couple of times and each visit involved some time on the rides and a visit to one or two countries. It is too tiring to visit every country in one visit to Epcot.

I love exploring WDW on my own. My non-Disney friends always look at me weird when I tell them I would love to take a trip to Disney by myself. I enjoyed taking my time and checking out the YC as I ambled towards Epcot. Along the way I stopped for a nice glass of water (love the little touches like this around the YC and BC).

454_small.jpg

I stopped to admire some ducks.

457_small.jpg

And then I headed off to Epcot and turned right so I could start with France and work my way around the world until it was time to meet the boys for dinner. I’m always amazed at how expansive some of the countries are. I browsed through France, made my way through Morocco (I couldn’t believe how much space there was behind Morocco, and loved the way the shopping was set up like a bazaar), explored Japan (scoping out the things that my husband and son wouldn’t be able to resist, so I could sucker them into more shopping later), checked out America, Italy and Germany, and then it was time to head over to meet the boys.

Here are a couple of pictures taken while exploring.

460_small.jpg

461_small.jpg

Tonight’s dinner was Coral Reef. I hate to say it here, since I know so many are looking forward to (or love) Coral Reef, but we weren’t impressed. In theory we love Coral Reef – it is a beautiful room, the food is really good, and the aquarium is so much fun. In reality, it feels overcrowded and busy and I feel like I’m at a busy mall restaurant instead of the fine dining experience that Coral Reef should offer. I hate that we feel this way, because I really want to like the place.

Coral Reef has always been something we desire. On our first trip in 2004 we were cute little newbies (in other words, we had no idea you needed dinner reservations :rolleyes2) so we walked up to Coral Reef and couldn’t get in (thankfully we did get in to the R&C for that meal, so all was well). In 2007 we reserved a spot at Coral Reef but made the mistake of riding the original Mission Space just before our meal so we were all nauseous and didn’t enjoy our dinner. In 2010 we again booked Coral Reef, but we were too tired to make it to Epcot on our scheduled evening, so we cancelled our reservation. For this trip we were determined to make our reservation and not ruin our meal with any pre-dinner wild rides.

When we arrived at the restaurant we had to get our elbows up to hold our space in line at the check-in desk. Just like in 2007, everyone was scrambling to get to the desk in front of everyone else. I don’t understand why since the check-in area is very spacious and beautifully decorated. It should put everyone in a relaxed mood, but it seems to do the opposite. Once we made it to the desk we were greeted nicely and soon shown to our table. Although the restaurant is gorgeous the walkways are just narrow enough that it always feels like we are infringing on the other diners space as we walk by their tables.

We were given a table on the second level and had a great view of the aquarium. Like the last trip there were divers having fun and interacting with the diners. The problem with the divers is that they scare away the fish. Fortunately there were plenty of times when there were no divers, so we were able to see some great fish too.

While our service and food were good, we were surrounded by a few large families who gave the restaurant a general feeling of chaos. I think it is because the tables are so close to each other, all lined up for a great view of the aquarium, that the restaurant loses the relaxed dining feel I think it should offer. At the end of our meal we all agreed that we will likely not go back to Coral Reef on our next trip.

After supper we wandered through the sea pavilion and checked out all the displays. I loved seeing the manatees! And then we used our Soarin’ fast passes that we picked up in the morning. Thankfully my son is tall enough to ride Soarin’.

470_small.jpg

At the end of a full day, we headed back to the YC and went to bed early. Here is a sunset shot from our balcony.

472_small.jpg

This picture may look like a big black square, but the two white dots in the centre are Jupiter and Venus. I thought it was cool to be able to see them so clearly from our room.

477_small.jpg

Well that’s enough prattling on for one day. Next up, we try to make MK rope drop.

I'll write the same thing I wrote on Feckless's TR- an afternoon at SAB followed by some time in EPCOT in the evening is a great showcase of what makes the Yacht and Beach resort so great!

Solo in the Showcase is for sure the way to go!

Sorry you didn't enjoy the Coral Reef more. We have eaten there a few times. The atmosphere is stunning. The food has been good. The service is always slow. And I totally get what you mean about the crowds and chaos. There are so many other dining choices in the area- I don't think we will be returning there any time soon either.

Love the picture of your son with the height sign. I'm gonna be stealing this one!

Thanks for the update and the info about Coral Reef. We haven't eaten there before and am not sure it will be on the list for our upcoming visit. As a PP said, there are so many choices in Epcot.

Janet, loving the TR! Your family's patience for waiting for rides is awesome and I love your pictures. I had some solo time at MK and I wish I had used some of my other solo time to head to WS... Oh well, more to do next time, right????

Janet:

Thanks for your perspective on Coral Reef. It was not my first choice but my son really wanted to eat with the fishes... So it made the ADR list and it will be our first restaurant. I'm quite sure my kids will enjoy it. After reading you're review, I know not to expect too much "order". Hopefully, our experience will be different.

I am happy that you are set on finishing this. I'm enjoying it very much.

I found you from the YC/BC thread and I am so glad that I did!!!!!!!!!!!

First, I am feeling better about standard view at the BC. I could not get Garden with my code and decided to take my chances with Standard. I came here for that info but it did not take long fro me to be vacationing along with your family :goodvibes I can picture my DGD Kady each time she has her growth pic in DTD, chuckled with Moody Judy and gazed at the fireworks with you.

I was so glad that you included your report about Coral Reef. My family planned my DH surprise birthday celebration there when the divers were still posting their congratulations signs. My DGD is 10 and she remembers this even from 5 years ago and has requested we dine there. I am not worried about the chaos but using 2 TS credits for the CP if the food was nasty was problematic.

Again, thank you for the lovely images your TR evokes.

Finally got a chance to catch up with you again:) Funny I'm constantly tempted to book Coral Reef but inevitably end up not eating there for one reason or another:confused: Not sure I'm missing much now so I dont feel too bad:rotfl:
Think you wee son is just about big enough for Soarin:laughing:
Love that you could see Jupiter and Venus from your room:cool1:
Cant wait for more! Will have to check out your blog when I get time:goodvibes

Solo in the Showcase is for sure the way to go!

Agreed!

Thanks for the update and the info about Coral Reef. We haven't eaten there before and am not sure it will be on the list for our upcoming visit. As a PP said, there are so many choices in Epcot.

I still think it is worth going to Coral Reef at least once, it just doesn't make our list of places to return to.

Janet, loving the TR! Your family's patience for waiting for rides is awesome and I love your pictures. I had some solo time at MK and I wish I had used some of my other solo time to head to WS... Oh well, more to do next time, right????

We all need a next time! My reason to go back is to go when I can experience your wat times. :)

Janet:

Thanks for your perspective on Coral Reef. It was not my first choice but my son really wanted to eat with the fishes... So it made the ADR list and it will be our first restaurant. I'm quite sure my kids will enjoy it. After reading you're review, I know not to expect too much "order". Hopefully, our experience will be different.

I am happy that you are set on finishing this. I'm enjoying it very much.

Thanks for the encouragement to keep going with this!

I found you from the YC/BC thread and I am so glad that I did!!!!!!!!!!!

First, I am feeling better about standard view at the BC. I could not get Garden with my code and decided to take my chances with Standard. I came here for that info but it did not take long fro me to be vacationing along with your family :goodvibes I can picture my DGD Kady each time she has her growth pic in DTD, chuckled with Moody Judy and gazed at the fireworks with you.

I was so glad that you included your report about Coral Reef. My family planned my DH surprise birthday celebration there when the divers were still posting their congratulations signs. My DGD is 10 and she remembers this even from 5 years ago and has requested we dine there. I am not worried about the chaos but using 2 TS credits for the CP if the food was nasty was problematic.

Again, thank you for the lovely images your TR evokes.

Thank you for all of your compliments. Happy to have you reading along.

Finally got a chance to catch up with you again:) Funny I'm constantly tempted to book Coral Reef but inevitably end up not eating there for one reason or another:confused: Not sure I'm missing much now so I dont feel too bad:rotfl:
Think you wee son is just about big enough for Soarin:laughing:
Love that you could see Jupiter and Venus from your room:cool1:
Cant wait for more! Will have to check out your blog when I get time:goodvibes

I love the phrase "wee son". He feels so gigantic now that he is taller than me. They grow so fast in the teen years.

*peeks in*

Hello JanetMom. Followed you over here from the glorious YC/BC thread. :wave2: Just caught up and subbing.

Your pictures and updates have ensured a few things:

1. I am determined to book YC on one of our future trips. (Then I'll be branded a traitor to the Alliance: Go Dark Side! :darth: )

2. SAB is the best... EVER.

3. I am no longer curious about making an ADR at Coral Reef. ;)

Loving your report. Thanks for sharing with us... :goodvibes

Phone numbers for booths in United Kingdom

Right Booth 407-827-9861
Left Booth 407-827-9862
Center Booth 407-827-9863

I was SOOO excited about the ability to call random people in EPCOT that I jumped on the chance to make the calls. Unfortunately all three just rang and rang until a modem picked up... They must have changed the numbers. :confused3

Thanks for sharing your trip report !! I am trying to decide where we are staying at on our Jan or April 2013 trip.. Your Report is making me think long on hard and working lots of overtime to be able to stay at the beach/yacht club. I have stayed at POP PORFQ and CBR. All our great resorts, however this trip will be, myself, 27, my brother 17, and my parents all in 1 room. So its gross now if my brother and I share a bed, so we need either a rollaway or a day bed and that limits our choices. :( But love how you let us readers know about your sons emotions about the trip it lets me know and plan for by 17 year brother and how he is going to act. Thanks about the post on the Coral Reef I have never eaten there however I have been curious and I now know dont give it a try if you want a relaxing meal !

*peeks in*

Hello JanetMom. Followed you over here from the glorious YC/BC thread. :wave2: Just caught up and subbing.

Loving your report. Thanks for sharing with us... :goodvibes

Thanks for reading along!

I was SOOO excited about the ability to call random people in EPCOT that I jumped on the chance to make the calls. Unfortunately all three just rang and rang until a modem picked up... They must have changed the numbers. :confused3

While I've never called the numbers, I've always like the thought of calling the numbers. Bummer that they changed them.

Thanks for sharing your trip report !! I am trying to decide where we are staying at on our Jan or April 2013 trip.. Your Report is making me think long on hard and working lots of overtime to be able to stay at the beach/yacht club. I have stayed at POP PORFQ and CBR. All our great resorts, however this trip will be, myself, 27, my brother 17, and my parents all in 1 room. So its gross now if my brother and I share a bed, so we need either a rollaway or a day bed and that limits our choices. :( But love how you let us readers know about your sons emotions about the trip it lets me know and plan for by 17 year brother and how he is going to act. Thanks about the post on the Coral Reef I have never eaten there however I have been curious and I now know dont give it a try if you want a relaxing meal !

I've not stayed at a Value, but I have stayed at CSR and I can say that the YC room was much bigger, and that a family of adults would definitely be happier there than at a Value or Moderate.

I also think a family of adults would enjoy being so close to Epcot. It is so wonderful to just pop over to the World Showcase.

Hopefully by 17, your brother is pulling out of the sulky teen years (I hope for that, so I know that our sulky years will end at some point!)

Thanks for reading along! While I've never called the numbers, I've always like the thought of calling the numbers. Bummer that they changed them. I've not stayed at a Value, but I have stayed at CSR and I can say that the YC room was much bigger, and that a family of adults would definitely be happier there than at a Value or Moderate. I also think a family of adults would enjoy being so close to Epcot. It is so wonderful to just pop over to the World Showcase. Hopefully by 17, your brother is pulling out of the sulky teen years (I hope for that, so I know that our sulky years will end at some point!)
thanks for your input I am definitely hoping for some pixie dust like 40= off deluxe resorts. As far add my brother getting out of th he silky teenage years hasn't happened yet.. Although I have informed him at Disney no sleeping till noon or 1pm.. Lol we shall are if that actual happens.. He's shuttle shy so won't want alone time in three parks or eet us there when he wakes up . Oh well. I'm enjoying reading along and can't wait till your next post!

Oh, no!!! I just programmed the numbers into my phone AND distributed the number to all of the chaperones going on the class trip next week.

Someone forgot to fact-check!!!

Oh, no!!! I just programmed the numbers into my phone AND distributed the number to all of the chaperones going on the class trip next week.

Someone forgot to fact-check!!!

You are going to have to come up with something to distract them in that area. You don't want this one minor fact slip-up to tarnish your reputation as the Disney expert.

You are going to have to come up with something to distract them in that area. You don't want this one minor fact slip-up to tarnish your reputation as the Disney expert.

Maybe I can get my phone changed to those numbers and set an answering machine message as if it was the booth.

Hullo! This is the Queen. I can't come the phone right now. I'm on the throne.

Look, Janet, it works here, too!

Maybe I can get my phone changed to those numbers and set an answering machine message as if it was the booth.

Hullo! This is the Queen. I can't come the phone right now. I'm on the throne.

Look, Janet, it works here, too!

It is so nice when you can find so many uses for one word (and all of them are hilarious :rotfl:)

The teens are never going to appreciate your humour gold mine.

I love the phrase "wee son". He feels so gigantic now that he is taller than me. They grow so fast in the teen years.

My son (14yrs) is also taller than me but will forever be my "wee son" even though he now has a younger brother aged 5 (who is also my wee son) No rule saying we cant have more than one lol.

Thanks for the heads up about the phone booth numbers. I had though of giving that a go next time I was passing but hadnt told the kids so all good:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter