• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend Weather

We had more frost again this morning! Its just crazy :scared1: On the bright side it is still beautiful and sunny :confused3

Kirsty

OK, maybe it has to do with the fact that we landed in Orlando last night, escaping the snowstorm back home, but I got up and ran outside this morning in shorts and a t-shirt! Love this Florida heat! :cool1:

Ok so we are on our way north now. Can't wait to see everyone this weekend - hope everyone has their warm clothes

Syko - ok the snow in Florida thing is just not right. Seriously. ;)

As for the sun and no heat, we call that "lying sunshine". Happens here in the winter - bright beautiful blue skies, sun and you step out to single digits...or lower. :sad2:

Too bad we're not going up until Saturday morning - my kids would LOVE to see snow in Florida!

I think I've got my warm clothes under control now. I went to KMart and they had a few things left - of course only the huge sizes are left so I'll be swimming in the clothes but it will be worth it!

This morning was ment to be the "hot" day and it was freezing at the 5K.

I had to keep my coat on and as it was a short run I did not put hot packs in my handles.....big mistake!!!! I cold hardly hold on the them they where so cold.

Hot packs tomorrow.!!!!!!!

The local radio station are still saying that we are going to have snow tonight / tomorrow!!!!!

Issued by The National Weather Service
Melbourne, FL
9:58 am EST, Fri., Jan. 8, 2010

... WIND CHILL ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MELBOURNE HAS ISSUED A WIND CHILL ADVISORY... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON EST SATURDAY.

A COLD FRONT... PUSHING TOWARD LAKE AND VOLUSIA COUNTIES LATE THIS MORNING... WILL CONTINUE SOUTHWARD THROUGH ALL OF EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA BY SUNSET. ANOTHER SURGE OF ARCTIC AIR WILL SPILL SOUTHWARD INTO CENTRAL FLORIDA BEHIND THIS BOUNDARY. TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST TO FALL INTO THE LOWER 30S ACROSS LAKE AND VOLUSIA COUNTIES... AND IN THE MID 30S TO UPPER 30S FROM INTERSTATE 4 SOUTHWARD TO LAKE OKEECHOBEE AND RURAL INLAND SECTIONS OF THE TREASURE COAST COUNTIES. THE COMBINATION OF COLD AIR AND BRISK NORTHWEST WINDS OF 10 TO 15 MPH WILL PRODUCE WIND CHILLS RANGING FROM THE MID 20S NEAR THE OCALA FOREST... TO THE UPPER 20S AND LOWER 30S AROUND LAKE OKEECHOBEE AND THE TREASURE COAST.

IT IS NOTEWORTHY THAT THE ADVISORY WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT THROUGH NOON SATURDAY. TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN IN THE 30S FOR ALL OF EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA THROUGH LATE MORNING... STRUGGLING TOWARD AFTERNOON HIGHS ONLY IN THE LOWER TO MIDDLE 40S. THIS MEANS IF YOU WILL BE OUTSIDE ANYTIME SATURDAY MORNING... YOU WILL NEED TO DRESS APPROPRIATELY FOR THE COLD WEATHER.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE LOW WIND CHILLS. IF YOU VENTURE OUTDOORS... DRESS WARMLY IN LAYERS AND MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A HAT AND GLOVES.

News this morning reporting that runners/walkers dealt with sleet this morning.

I'm so glad I opted for pregnancy this year instead of the marathon.

Stay warm everyone. I'm not sure "dressing in layers" will do it. I remember a couple of years ago hubby and I were freezing on the half day--but that was figurative, not literal as temps while waiting were in the upper 30s-low 40s.

Now they can say that the weather ranges from the 80s and humid as heck (2005, my first marathon) to high 20s/low 30s and snow/sleet.

Bless you all participating this year--you will have more than earned your medals!

I'm from Chicago - and I have trained in 27 degree weather, but I'm a serious wimp about running when ICE is hitting me in the face!! :rotfl2:
:worship:God Bless the Volunteers, and all those that helped me to the finish line!! :goodvibes

Yes the sleet was hitting my face - this South Florida girl is not use to this weather at all - I was warm enough though and never took off any layers except I did throw my blanket about mile 7 or 8. The announcers said it was snow but even I know it was ice so it must have been sleet.

I'm from Chicago - and I have trained in 27 degree weather, but I'm a serious wimp about running when ICE is hitting me in the face!! :rotfl2:
:worship:God Bless the Volunteers, and all those that helped me to the finish line!! :goodvibes

I was okay with the cold weather this morning and I was okay with the wind ... but the ice/sleet was not good. I had a hard time looking up at some points on the course because it would get right in my eyes. Of course, when it finally "warmed" up, the ice just changed into rain and with the wind, oh boy! :laughing:

The Marathoners today started in dark, cold (it felt really really cold standing out waiting for the runners to come to water stop 2)

Then as we passed out water - the water froze in the cups we were holding!!

We were yelling Ice Cold Water, what a shock to grab for water only to find a layer of ice (I'd try and crush the top of the paper cups, but honestly - the water on the side would freeeze!)

Now at 7:50 that sun is bright - but its so cold you can see your breath! Please get warmer!!

It got warmer toward the end but nothing like last year. I was lucky enough to be able to throw my one jacket to my family at mile 18 and then the other jacket right before the finish line. It was freezing waiting for the bus. Oh and I bypassed the ice bath - hope I don't pay for it later but I needed to warm up bad.

I never warmed up. After the start I didn't shed a thing, either day. Two jackets, WISH shirt and long sleeve tech shirt, running pants, bandana, stocking cap, gloves with heaters and a WISH visor. Oh yea. also had tube socks on for the legs...

I just don't have the right type of clothes for running in the cold. I started to sweat and was wet the entire run.

Brrrrr
Duane

I am from MS, so was def. Not prepared to have freezing rain pelting me in the face! I don't own cold weather running gear bc it's cold 3 months out of the year, and cold being in the 40's.

I got rid of my top layer in the mk bc it wasn't water resistant and was ssooo heavy. I have literally never been so cold..

It was 20 degrees below miserable!! Other than that we had a great time, lol! HUGE thanks to volunteers who stood in the rain and cold!

I decided to add an additional layer after walking around on Saturday and I'm so glad I did. I added the fleece that I wear at home when I start out in the cold. I really thought I was going to be giving it to my family at mile 18, but I never took it off. It was the diiference between running comfortably and being chilled. I was actually fine the entire race!

To everyone who participated in this thread - thank you so much! All your contributions made a huge difference in my level of preparation for this race and I am very grateful!

ok, Im from Chicago and trained in chicago but on Raceday I will never forget standing in a huddle of about 50 people wearing my running gear, a rain poncho, hat/gloves, and a throw away sweatshirt and feeling my toes start to freeze while it began to snow!.

I was in Corral D and once i finally crossed the starting line it took me until about mile 2 to get warm so i tossed the sweatshirt and poncho, then once inside Magic Kingdom I shed the running tights, hat, and gloves and ran in shorts and long sleeve gortek type top only... all the way to the finish line!!

(good thing my family was there at Polynesian to cheer me on and to pick-up my clothes that i shed!)

My only regret was that I didnt keep a dry sweatshirt in my checked bag!!

THANKS to all the volunteers who braved the cold so that we could enjoy the experience! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter