Marathon Weekend 2024

I'm intrigued! I have similar issues and ran in Asics when I first started running, but they made a change that narrowed the toe box and changed the fit of the top, which triggered my Mortons neuroma.

Do you find the "sock like fit" feels tight around the lace area? And do you wear wide width? I'm curious to try the Noosa Tri now.

I know I was very enthusiastic in my post but I don’t want to give a blanket endorsement for any shoe since feet and what is comfortable for different people, even those with seemingly similar experiences with their perception of their feet, can be so non-universal.

I find the upper material to be very lightweight and forgiving without feeling like it will easily break. It’s not a flyknit, but it’s not nearly as thick or cushioned as many running shoes. I have never put a hole in any pair (although, to be fair, this has never been an issue for me with any type of shoe). They come with both regular laces and elastic laces as they are a triathlon model. I use regular when I run so I have better control of tightness and the elastic after I transition a pair to my day to day shoes. I’ve also run with the elastic and that worked fine.

I can’t do wide shoes because of my narrow heel. Although some are theoretically better in the forefoot I am always swimming in the heels and that causes the worst blisters for me. I need something that is normal to narrow in the heel and forgiving in the forefoot. Forgiving might be a better descriptor for the Noosa Tri forefoot than wide.

Cons are that the tread is relatively light so they will show wear on the bottom pretty quick. I’d say they are likely viewed as a shorter distance shoe in traditional thinking; so they may be more of a speed work or race day shoe than a training workhorse for those that vary their shoes for different purposes.

SAFD: I have a bit of a shoe problem, and since Dopey training has me running 5-6 days a week, I rotate a lot of shoes depending on the type of run. I also run in shoes until the tread is gone. I was initially disappointed in the Nike Streakfly as a race shoe, but love it as a daily trainer. The Saucony Speed 1 is one of the best shoes ever, and I usually have one run a week in the 1 or 3. I’ll use the Endorphin Pro 1 for runs above 15+ miles, but find it too stiff for marathon use. I prefer a neutral, minimal, low drop shoe, but the trend has gone to high stack height. I wish they still made shoes like the New Balance MR00, but I guess there’s no money in a shoe that’s just rubber and an upper. The new Saucony Sinister looks like promising return to the racing flat, but $150 seems pricey.

Marathon: Nike Vaporfly 2
Half: Saucony Endorphin Pro 1
10k: Saucony Speed 3 or Type A8, perhaps the OG Nike 4%

Last edited:
SAFD:
I also run in ASICS Noosa Tri’s. They work well for me. I usually rotate two pairs for all my marathon training and also wear then for my marathons.
I do have a pair of Nike Vaporfly Next% 2’s. I have worn them for a couple of half marathons, and they are okay for me. I don’t think my feet would be happy if I wore them for longer races (I am not super speedy).
I recently purchased (with a discount) a pair of ASICS Metaspeed Sky+’s. I wore them for an hour run - and they do not work for me. One of my feet ended up being in a lot of pain. New shoes can often cause half of my feet to go numb. That’s what the Meta’s did, but then it turned into pain in the left foot. So that’s a ‘no’ from me for ASICS’s speed shoe.

I prefer a neutral, minimal, low drop shoe, but the trend has gone to high stack height.
The mega stack height thing is driving me nuts. I have got to have a good amount of flex at the forefoot and too much foam wrecks that entirely. Don’t even get me started on my hatred of rocker soles! For both those reasons, I‘m having to return the Altra Riveras. But I’ve got a couple runs in on the Topo Magnifly and they’re just about perfect! Just enough cushion without sacrificing flex or ground feel, no-drop, locked down mid foot and heel, ample toe room.

Last edited:
The mega stack height thing is driving me nuts. I have got to have a good amount of flex at the forefoot and too much foam wrecks that entirely. Don’t even get me started on my hatred of rocker soles! For both those reasons, I‘m having to return the Altra Riveras. But I’ve got a couple runs in on the Topo Magnifly and they’re just about perfect! Just enough suction without sacrificing flex or ground feel, no-drop, locked down mid foot and heel, ample toe room.
I have Goldilocks biomechanics. I can't have too much of a drop because of my calves, and I can't have too much of a height because of my calves and knees.

SAFD: I have exclusively run in Brooks shoes for the last 11 years or so. My Glycerines are my workhorse shoes and I use them for pretty much anything these days. Back when I actually did speed work and was more disciplined about rotating shoes, I used to run in Pure Flows for speed runs and races back when Brooks made them. These days, I usually just wear my Glycerines until they wear out and then replace them and keep trucking. Maybe not the best approach, but it is so much easier to track my mileage on a pair when they're the only ones I use. I had planned on using a decently new pair of Brooks Launch to run Goofy in January, but every training run in them made my feet and knees hurt so badly I thought I was injured. I bought the new Glycerine GTS right before Goofy and they felt amazing right out of the box. So, Glycerines it will be until they don't work anymore.

I have run in the same shoe since I started running in 2012 - New Balance w890.

The good - I wear them for all runs and never have an issue unless the mileage gets high (400 is usually what I can get when i start noticing my legs and body being too sore). I'm too lazy and not serious enough about improving to have different speedwork, race day, etc. shoes.

The bad - they were discontinued a few years ago. Since then, I've hunted down pairs on Amazon and Poshmark and Mercari to keep running.

I KNOW there are other shoes out there and I KNOW my local running store can find me a similar pair BUT I don't want to change! I'm afraid I will have to soon if the prices on Amazon start creeping up more.

I have run in the same shoe since I started running in 2012 - New Balance w890.

The good - I wear them for all runs and never have an issue unless the mileage gets high (400 is usually what I can get when i start noticing my legs and body being too sore). I'm too lazy and not serious enough about improving to have different speedwork, race day, etc. shoes.

The bad - they were discontinued a few years ago. Since then, I've hunted down pairs on Amazon and Poshmark and Mercari to keep running.

I KNOW there are other shoes out there and I KNOW my local running store can find me a similar pair BUT I don't want to change! I'm afraid I will have to soon if the prices on Amazon start creeping up more.

You sound like me and my New Balance 870s. I squirreled away as many pairs as I could when I heard that they were discontinued. I just moved completely into my last pair recently and I'm already panicky about what happens next.

You sound like me and my New Balance 870s. I squirreled away as many pairs as I could when I heard that they were discontinued. I just moved completely into my last pair recently and I'm already panicky about what happens next.
Ditto me and my Merrell Vapor Glove 3Ds. I still have 3 pairs with some miles left on them. ;-)

Oof, those prices were rough to get to Orlando. Are the dates being so close to New Year's have anything to do with it?

Southwest Airlines flights are now bookable through January 7
Shockingly, pricing for us out of Houston to Orlando is not bad. It is actually cheaper to fly in on December 30th. So we are looking at doing New Years at WDW. But holy cow, the resort prices are not pretty. $250 for the all star resorts. Trying to find somewhere to stay that is actually reasonably priced.

I booked today with points too and was shocked how high it was. I do remember last year they started high and dropped several times. You can modify your reservation and get those points back so keep checking!
That is also what I did last year. I bet they will go down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter