Marathon Weekend 2024

The themes for DLR race weekend were announced: Pluto 5K, Donald & Daisy 10K, Mickey & Minnie Half… sound familiar?! I hold no grudge; they can borrow “our” themes for a weekend. ;)
And Dumbo Double Dare for the challenge is back.
Why would they do that for DLR race weekend when they could actually have a Marvel race there?!?

CCV, it’s our home resort. We might put in a waiting list request for AKL or BWV. But have to wait until the 7 month mark of course. But we love CCV so either way works.
All booked for CCV this year as well! The last two were in a 1BR value at AKL, perhaps the best DVC deal of all but difficult to snag. I always have a hard time deciding between AKL and Wilderness. They are by far my top 2 of all the resorts. I like the drive to and from AKL, really easy for any race, but the pool/hot tub are open much earlier and later at Wilderness. Even without the animals, I like wandering around the resort better at Wilderness. Haven’t stayed there for MW yet so looking forward to it.

I am so happy!!! I secured an Animal Kingdom Lodge Value Studio rental for 6 nights starting January 2nd 2024, which I thought is really hard to get and is cheaper than my last stays at OKW Studio and SSR Studio, hooray! I hope for my 4th dopey challenge after 2018, 2020, 2023 :-) Greetings from Germany.

Hallo and Willkommen :wave:

I am so happy!!! I secured an Animal Kingdom Lodge Value Studio rental for 6 nights starting January 2nd 2024, which I thought is really hard to get and is cheaper than my last stays at OKW Studio and SSR Studio, hooray! I hope for my 4th dopey challenge after 2018, 2020, 2023 :-) Greetings from Germany.

I stayed in a Value for 2022 MW. I would definitely put in a room request, if you haven't already. I requested a room along Ostrich trail, savannah side and got 5132 facing Sunset Savannah. I had animals all the time. It was great. I can't believe it was a value! Check out Touring PLans. They have great room maps and you can see what rooms are in which categories. Makes it easy to help select a room.

https://touringplans.com/hotel_maps/disneys-animal-kingdom-lodge

Last edited:
Wow those AKL values go quick -- nice job! I'm betting the owner you rented from walked that reservation to get it. I see that a lot with the BWV values too, where the first night is gone even with the 11 month window.

Wow those AKL values go quick -- nice job! I'm betting the owner you rented from walked that reservation to get it. I see that a lot with the BWV values too, where the first night is gone even with the 11 month window.
I booked with David's Vacation Club Rentals. I never thought my request would be fulfilled. Its like to win the lottery.

I booked with David's Vacation Club Rentals. I never thought my request would be fulfilled. Its like to win the lottery.
The stars definitely aligned for you! I have a friend that was able to book that room the day before you by walking the reservation for a very long time. I did see the availability calendar (which I know isn't 100% updated) was green at 11 months on the 2nd and I wondered if anyone was able to sneak in and grab it without needing to walk it, you must have hit the sweet spot of people checking out from New Years and people checking in for Marathon. The owner probably is patting themself on the back too :laughing:

I keep saying I will NEVER buy DVC but the stress of trying to rent for Marathon Weekend may just get to me someday!

Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! It is time for SAFD! For any new folks, SAFD stands for Sundays Are For Disney. This is a weekly question that is asked and everyone is encouraged to share their thoughts as we get to know each other and work toward the next Marathon Weekend. (332 days from now…)

Today’s Question: How are you managing the “off” season, and if it is not off for you what are you up to?

SAFD: This is more of an off season than I had originally planned. Post Dopey I had hoped to take two weeks off to rest and recover and then start my new training plan for Spring Surprise and a May Marathon. But I ended up needing an abdominal surgery, I was lucky enough to get it just a week after Dopey so the surgery recovery and my original recovery plan were able to double up for one week. But I had to hold off for three more weeks - one week to go… Then I can begin running again. So, I have been going crazy! So eager to run again and a little anxious about my spring races. But surgery recovery has gone very well, so I am happy about that. What are you all up to?

SAFD:
I'm "managing" the off-season by trying to rediscover my muscles. When I dove all the way into running (and that was essentially all the way in to marathon training, the way it ended up) I let all of my weight training fall by the wayside because there was only so much time in the day that I could escape the house to go for a run, or lock myself in in the basement to get on the treadmill. I wrote up a training plan that focuses more on weight training for the first month, with a sprinkle of running, and will gradually slide to the more running with a sprinkle of weight training end of the spectrum by the time May gets here. Going into my 3rd scheduled week (which is my 2nd actual week thanks to norovirus hitting our house) I'm still incredibly sore and continually shocked at just how much strength I lost over the last 2 years, and I'm going to be on the hunt for a weight training program that I can shoehorn into my run training plans this summer. I've gained 8-10 pounds with each of my marathon training plans, so it's time to see if weights are a better method for curbing (and ideally, reversing) that.

Currently I'm working through Beachbody's 80 Day Obsession (removing the cardio/recovery days) and when I get through that I'm considering Caroline Girvin's Iron series (on youtube, seems quite popular on reddit) or maybe another BB program, if I can find one I like enough.

SAFD: Our season is about halfway gone, and now that it seems the local Dubai 70.3 isn’t happening, we’re all trying to find something else to train for. A race in Europe is the easiest option, probably in May. My friends and I are also training for a week-long bike trip across Austria & Germany in June.

SAFD: Our season is about halfway gone, and now that it seems the local Dubai 70.3 isn’t happening, we’re all trying to find something else to train for.
Wait, why isn't it happening?!!!??!?

SAFD: I had an "A" race in the middle of November, and was on an "off season" from then until this past week. I had a ton of grading and other end of semester work to do, then I immediately got covid for the first time, then it was Xmas, then eating way too many Xmas cookies that younger DS made with my mom, then an all-inclusive beach vacation. I did run, but it was pretty minimal for me. And all that minimal running was at an easy pace. Let me tell you, that first speedwork interval session on my DopeyBadger plan this week was a rude awakening for my legs!

Anyway, I'm back, training for a 10-miler PR end of April. Then I have about a month off before training for the Chicago Marathon in October (not an "A" race). After that I'll train for whatever I wind up signing up for at MW. Also not an "A" race. Just trying to keep things on the calendar because it seems the running schedule falls apart when there is nothing planned.

SAFD: As a newbie runner last year, I didn’t fully understand the “off season” concept. I had too many races scheduled and I battled some overuse injuries. This year a 180! I’ve had really sore knees from Dopey and so I listened to my body and have taken it really easy. I’ve been rowing, walking and hiking. I tried running a little 2 weeks ago and the knees said no so I listened. Today DH and I are going for an easy 3 miler to check things out. I’ll slowly work back into it as I have 7 weeks before my next training block. Way better plan this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter