Marathon Weekend 2024

Today is National Plan for Vacation Day, and it's been snowing non stop for 3 days and it's a feels like of 1F outside today and I'm depressed. What better endorphin boost than ask my TA to book the Swan for MW.

Now I just need to register... :joker:
OMFG! That sounds lovely to me, but then again I'm not seeing that winter wonderland out my window.

SAFD: Marathon Weekend a few weeks ago was my first runDisney event ever so I only really have one data point, but I am definitely in the "cannot visit Disney without going to the parks a ton" which means I arguably overdid it that week running Goofy. I was averaging around 12 miles of walking a day on the four days leading up to the half marathon, and I ended up spending most of the day after the half in Epcot although I dialed my walking distance to around 5 miles after the race. I added up my mileage for the trip and it was just over 100 miles Tuesday-Monday with Sunday being a combined 40 miles between the marathon and MK afterwards.

I second everyone that has said that walking around the parks ended up being really key to my recovery before the full marathon and afterwards. My roommate on the trip had run Dopey a few times and he told me that laying around all day on Saturday after the half was the worst thing I could do. I am glad I listened to him because my legs felt surprisingly fresh on Sunday morning for the full despite putting over 18 miles on them on Saturday.

Unrelated, it's been sleeting/snowing in Dallas for three days with temperatures below freezing consistently, and I just have no clue how you people up north deal with this for months. I am miserable! 🤣

Today is National Plan for Vacation Day, and it's been snowing non stop for 3 days and it's a feels like of 1F outside today and I'm depressed. What better endorphin boost than ask my TA to book the Swan for MW.

Now I just need to register... :joker:
The cold weather has me dreaming of vacation, too! Are you able to book a room for next year already? I called Disney recently and they said they likely won't open reservations for 2024 until April.

Where are you staying? I think we have managed everything except for BLT, BWV, and CCV at this point. Need to talk to DH about where he wants to stay next year, although I think I know what he's going to say. And then find someone to rent points from.

CCV, it’s our home resort. We might put in a waiting list request for AKL or BWV. But have to wait until the 7 month mark of course. But we love CCV so either way works.

Our home resorts are AKL, BWV and BLT. I'll try to remember this so we can book for each other if we ever want to stay at CCV!

The cold weather has me dreaming of vacation, too! Are you able to book a room for next year already? I called Disney recently and they said they likely won't open reservations for 2024 until April.
You can call and book for next year but can't do online until they open it!

I secured a Riviera Tower Studio rental, which is cheaper than Pop, hooray! Swan/Dolphin have been open for booking through mid January for a week or two already, don't forget to use code QWH if you are an AP. The AP rate isn't too bad at Dolphin, I think 385/night incl fees. I always book and then check rates regularly as in my experience they almost ALWAYS will drop. Last year the first couple nights in Jan just ahead of MW dropped down to $220/night incl fees at their lowest. I'd expect similar this year given the timing of the holidays and race weekend are the same.

We have a digital billboard right near my subway stop, and every morning there is an ad for Tampa vacations that includes the current temperature in Tampa that morning. Brilliant advertising.

I booked starting on Dec 31st, so the last day for 2023 vacation packages. I wanted to book now to lock in ticket prices.

Last edited:
I feel like this was a "loophole" that they got rid of toward the end of last year, and there's not a 499 day window (or whatever it was) for calling to make reservations any longer.
I'm not sure. I just know in the resort boards when I asked, that was what I was told. I haven't called and tried because we are planning on renting DVC points instead! But now I'm curious lol

What my travel agent did last year was book a room for me from 12/31 through marathon weekend, and then she cancelled the extra days on the front end of the trip after the rates for 2023 came out. I am going to do that again this year to lock in a room.

I feel like this was a "loophole" that they got rid of toward the end of last year, and there's not a 499 day window (or whatever it was) for calling to make reservations any longer.
Yes. Now room-only bookings become available the same day as packages are released. The “loophole” would be what others have said by starting your booking Dec 31.

I did that this past MW and just moved the dates later on. Also note, the past couple years they’ve had AP room discounts so I’ve also been able to grab the first couple nights at a discount and merged it with the same room type, non-discounted room for the weekend. I’m not positive but they may have Disney+ or just winter discounts in general for midweek nights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter