Marathon Weekend 2024

:duck: I never cared especially for the Dream Lights. All I want are pyrotechnics. BIG ones. And lots of ‘em. Keep your projections and lights: I’ll take my castle dark, please, and the sky lit with things that go BOOM!

But I miss the O Lights with every fibre of my being. I especially miss the early years, when there were little crowds, and Publix gave out the special glasses, and the streets were alive with hot cocoa and spirits vendors, and you could stroll all through the backlot ”residences”. Those were the best years!

I am pretty jazzed about the Jollywood parties, though!

I miss the Dream Lights. :(

The Osborne Lights were great, but SO crowded. And the rest of the time, Streets of America was such a waste of space. I loved it, but there was nothing there. I never understood why they didn't try to put a ride or stores/restaurants in that area once HS stopped being an actual studio.

Disney donated most of the lights and they're currently used at Give Kids the World "Night of a Million Lights" event.

Which is why the lights were Oh So Much Better in their original incarnation on Residential Street. And New York Street did make more sense back in the original incarnation of MGM studios with its focus on TV/film production.

But nowadays, all I can ever think of with the lights is "Can you imagine the electricity bill for all those old technology lights?" It would be great if they could do a new LED version of them, though.

I’m not sure how it compares but NYC’s elevation changes kinda surprised me, knew I was in for trouble with the bridges but there were other portions in Manhattan that still haunt me. Not the worst idea to have a bit of hill work, it’s the one thing I regret not having done more of when I was training for it (if i do it again next year I’ll likely put in more runs in Central Park).
Agreed-NY was a lot hillier than I anticipated. Boston is hilly, but I know what to expect there and am always mentally prepared. New York took me by surprise. Of course, the 72 degrees at the start last year was ALSO a shocker!!!

I don't
No dream lights for Cinderella’s Castle and no Osborne Lights. Incredibly disappointing that they continue to eschew practical effects that require more planning and effort for projections. Projections can be a good thing when integrated well; they’re not as charming when they’re the only thing.

It’s sad that they’re doing the same thing with so many movies. Quicker and cheaper to use CGI (and, in a disturbingly high number of cases, bad CGI) than to execute practical effects.
I don't know about cheap CGI given the most recent movies costing between $200M and $300M. Cheap looking sure...

Good morning runDisney All-Stars!

Happy Fathers’s Day to all the fathers! It is time for Sunday’s are for Disney. Today’s question: If you were going on a trip and wanted to store some movies on your phone/device, what would be your go to choices (up to three) and why? For today’s question keep your choices to animated movies.

My answer: I am taking Princess and the Frog, Encanto and The Emperor’s New Grove. Love each of them, they are ones I can watch over an over and never tire of them. My love of New Orleans made Princess and the Frog an immediate favorite. Encanto is just so good - music, characters, culture and vibrancy, just love it. And Emperor’s New Grove feeds my inner snarkiness!

SAFD: Toy Story, Meet the Robinsons and Dumbo. As for the reasons, not sure I can articulate other than to say that Toy Story and Dumbo are my favorite Disney movies and Meet the Robinsons, while not the best, is just one that my wife and kids all like so it has great memories for me.

SAFD:

Wreck-It Ralph, Coco, and Zootopia.

A little odd that I’ve gone relatively recent with all of mine but those were the ones that popped to the front of my mind. As much as I love the films from my youth (Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin) the newer ones have a little more rewatchability (maybe it’s the lack of unnecessary live-action remake). Coco is probably the surprise to me, but my appreciation for it continues to grow each time I see it.

Outside of animation is much easier for me on the Disney/Disney-adjacent side of things. Raiders, Last Crusade, and Empire Strikes Back (Not to disparage Temple of Doom, but I can’t displace ESB). I’m in the triple digits on Raiders viewings and not tired of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter