• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: DH and I are both huge Disney fans, so we have several things I could showcase. One of our favorites is this poster:583C43C3-003D-4957-9794-F5AA1E27B0AC.jpeg
We have a smaller watercolor from the same artist, showing the seasonal hot air balloons in the Land pavilion at EP.
We also have a set of countdown blocks, but ours are at 103 right now, since we won’t arrive at WDW until Friday of MW. Afterwards, they’ll immediately get reset to count down to PW, though.
My first and only DNF was the marathon last year. I had some issues during training, and wasn’t ready for Goofy, but gave it a shot. The half was slow, but okay. I only made it to the 10k mark on the marathon, but knew I didn’t have 20 more in me, and couldn’t do it in the time limit. I was okay with that. I never thought I’d complete one marathon, much less six!

I’m hoping to be able to do the half this year, which is the only one I had planned. I saw the trauma surgeon for a follow up about a week ago, and was released to do whatever I felt I could handle, as long as I worked back very slowly and stopped if my body protested. Yesterday, I made my first attempt at running in eight weeks. I did 20 minutes on the elliptical, walked half a mile, then alternated walking and running for another half mile. That might not seem like much, but it’s a big progression from shuffling down the hospital hallway, dragging an IV pole. My other surgeon told me she didn’t expect I’d really be running again until after the first of the year. The difference is that she’s not a runner, and the trauma surgeon is a runner. He did remind me, however, that PRs are out the window and I should only consider post surgery PRs from now on. I’m okay with that (as if there’s an option). 😄 I’m just glad to be able to start being active again. I’m already registered for the Space Coast Half on November 27. I intend to see how far I can go, but if I don’t finish, that’s still a big accomplishment to complete some of it. Hopefully, by MW and PW, I’ll be much stronger and farther along in my recovery.

93580289-E1B9-4B3E-8473-371F7901A2C5.jpeg
SAFD: A hodgepodge of Disney!

SAFD: Many years ago had a nasty cold that lasted months. Tried to push through it to run a early Spring marathon. It was so cold and windy could hardly breath and coughing like crazy. Bailed at the halfway mark totally bummed.
Then went for a trail marathon a month later and it snowed 4” the night before. If it weren’t for the angel in the woods that gave me a thermos full of warm soup I would have dropped it too.
That was a rough Winter season with that cold.

SAFD 1: I have a variety of Disney pictures and posters in my house.

IMG_3861 2.jpg
ID: Lion King and Beauty and the Beast posters signed by producer Don Hahn for whatever reason

IMG_3866.jpg
ID: 50th anniversary poster and the Guardian of the Bookshelf (dragon Beanie Baby)

IMG_3862.jpg
ID: Not directly Disney but prints of cute animated dogs, frogs, sea turtles, etc. from Rob Kaz, whose work I first saw at Festival of the Arts several years ago - sorry for the glare...

IMG_3864.jpg
ID: Portraits of my dog as a Disney character

SAFD 2: I have never DNF'd a race, but I respect everyone who tried to run despite the challenges they had and then called it when they needed to!

SAFD:

It would be pretty hard to walk into this house and not know we are Disney fans but we just finished re-painting much of the house and haven't put it all back up yet. I went with this one because it was something we got at the beginning of the pandemic having to juggle working from home while entertaining a 3 year old.

1664131489863.png

It sits on our nightstand.

For the planned SAFD I have so far never DNFd a race. I have not started local 5Ks because plans have changed, I've been sick, or I was nursing an injury but so far if I start I finish.

SAFD: A few scattered pictures, this is my favorite (from Stage 1 Company Store in DHS). I am also big into Lego so I have the Disney castle, but it's not currently put together because we own cats the cats allow us to coexist in the same space as them and we can't have nice things.

Attachments

• 20220925_154158.JPG
    20220925_154158.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
SAFD: home

I have a lot of little Disney touches around my house. Some of my favorites:

08145871-9ADB-4663-9DBC-DDE1E684ADB6.jpeg
Pictured is a watercolor print of Belle that I really need to frame. I also have Belle inspired ears that my friend made me for my bachelorette party.

1749BE8D-93F2-4D2B-86CE-753F63A8ECE6.jpeg
This section of my bookshelf has my Disney books collection— I took a class on Disney in grad school— and some other Disney items. Fun fact: that Nala rode in my backpack when I biked across the country!

I just got a Jasmine art and Jasmine/Rajah pot so I am hoping to make a little Jasmine section. I also want to decorate the wall in my office with Disney— a Disney specific medal rack, a neon “I can go the distance” sign, more artwork, etc.

SAFD :
mine is similar to your countdown. (Only 39 days till I leave for W&D!)
20220925_175240.jpg

I got this Etsy print (from the WDWfocus shop) from DH for my birthday that I want to put up in my office at work. I work in public transport logistics so this is my love language
1664143211682.png

Attachments

• 1664142996405.png
    1664142996405.png
    271.5 KB · Views: 13
SAFD (Planned):
I've only DNF'd one race, Blackbeard's Revenge, my attempt at a hundred miler this past March. I thought I was on track to finish until I hit the mile 76 aid station. I was fine entering the station, but when I stepped out of its shelter back into the wind, I started shivering uncontrollably and couldn't get my body temperature back under control. There was no choice but to pull myself from the race at that point.

I learned a lot during that race, especially how multiple smaller factors can add up to a catastrophic failure when dealing with that type of distance. First off, while the temps were good during the day, we fought 15-20 mph winds with gusts into the 30s from the start with no respite or protection on the course. When the sun went down, the winds picked up and the temperature fell. It took a lot of extra energy to fight winds like that for the 19 hours I was out on the course.

Second, I didn't eat enough as the race went on. I was good about keeping my intake up the first 30 miles or so, but as fatigue built my appetite waned and I ended up with more gel and gummy intake than solid food. Even then, I didn't take in enough and I think I exhausted my body's ability to regulate its temperature.

Finally, I didn't really have a concept of what pacing I was capable of for a race of that duration and distance so I went out with an arbitrary target of a 24 hour finish. In retrospect, that was probably a significant overestimation of my capability and led to me burning through too much energy too early in the race.

I probably could've overcome any one of the issues to finish the race, but taken as a whole it was just too much. I still haven't decided if I want to take another shot at the distance.

SAFD (Inspired):
I have Disney decor throughout the house, but I think my Lego Main Street USA marks me out as a big Disney fan more than most.

67666B6E-8ECD-47A5-A1E4-A8C402F99E12.jpeg

Last edited:
SAFD:
#1 We have Halloween and Christmas decor that is Disney themed, but nothing that is up year-round. So far, my Disney medals are mixed in with all my other race medals but that may be changing soon as my rack is filling up.

#2 I have never DNF but have DNS one time. A few days after the big freeze that paralyzed TX in 2020 I was scheduled for the Galveston HM. The island had power back but was having water availability issues and it didn’t feel right to add myself to the mix. The locals need services. And we had just gotten our own power back the day before. We were all worn out and I didn’t have it in me to run a HM. The race coordinators formally cancelled but some people still showed up and ran the course. They mailed out medals and shirts to those who weren’t local. I threw the medal away but kept the shirt and run in it regularly during the winter.

SAFD #2: I DNFd the 2017 marathon which would have been my first. I just didn’t know enough about nutrition and fueling and ended up severely dehydrated (even though it was perfect running temps that year I’m a very sweaty runner). Killed it right on my target pace through the first half but started feeling like I was dragging by about mile 17. Slogged on for a few more miles convinced it was just “the wall” but by mile 22 I couldn’t even stay upright. Another runner saw me sitting on the side of the road and alerted the med tent and I got a ride to the finish in an ambulance…

I’ve since finished another marathon to prove I can, have learned A LOT about nutrition and pacing, and will be back in 2023 to finish those last 3.4 miles (though I guess I have to do the first 22.8 again, too).

Key lessons learned: hydrate, find what fuel works for you, and don’t be an idiot who pushes to the point of needing an ambulance.

SAFD1: most of my Disney decor is seasonal. This print is the only wall art and it’s up year round. We were given it at DCA when WOC opened. I don’t remember why we were given it as I’m pretty sure we were not APs at that time.

SAFD2: I have never DNF though there’s 2 where I probably should have. Both were Half’s in SF. One I had IT band issues and the other PF issues. I have DNS plenty of times - usually due to schedule conflicts. FE0EAEB8-46D7-4E25-9DA0-76F4E9DF3429.jpeg

SAFD1: my husband painted these for me and they are in our living room
BD1A594A-D80B-4FF7-8C26-0F4EA1A6A140.jpegCF77FC44-58A6-4F49-9104-C68A189A251A.jpeg

SAFD2: no DNFs yet, but one DNS for the Chattanooga 70.3 this year. I was well prepared but the weather wasn’t supposed to be good, my daughter was in a play that weekend, and I was feeling very overwhelmed by a lot of things going on in my life at the time, so I just didn’t go. Kinda regret it, but I was mentally not in a good place and doing the race felt like something I had to do, not something I wanted to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter