Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD: I’m going to say, SLOW DOWN!
I hated running. I tried running several times. I would start out, and would be huffing and puffing after 20 yards, and I hated it! If I was running as part of another sport, great!, but running on its own - not for me. UNTIL I found an app that helped me realize that I needed to slow down. Once I did that, I realized , I could do it. Lots of other good advice that I’ve received, but that was the first one that got me into running in the first place.

Sorry for the question, is there any communication about what to do if we can’t make it to the expo due to flight delays or travel issues. I heard in the past, number pickup desk was available at the race tent for those who had unfortunate circumstance.

Sorry for the question, is there any communication about what to do if we can’t make it to the expo due to flight delays or travel issues. I heard in the past, number pickup desk was available at the race tent for those who had unfortunate circumstance.

I don’t see anything specific on the website right now but I believe they tried to switch to a “no bib pickup on race day” policy in the near past. With all of the other limitations listed on the website seeming to emphasize a smaller volunteer/staffing requirement I would guess that is their plan again.

I would think in the situation of a genuine issue they would try to figure out something, but I don’t believe they want to advertise the option for people to potentially plan around abusing it.

Last edited:
For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, please share some of the best running advice you’ve received.

The best advise I didn't listen to for far too long and that is to concentrate on long, slow miles instead of trying to run every training run at your maximum effort. I wish I had listened to that much earlier.

Of the advise I did listen to, and I've done a lot or reading and listening to Podcasts over the past decade, it is to just do the run. Unless I'm injured no matter how much I didn't want to do a run before I started I have never been sorry I gutted through and started it. Whether the excuse was snow, rain, mud, heat, sun, whatever environmental excuse I had in addition to just laziness I always was glad I gutted it out and learning to run in weather you don't like and when you don't feel like it is just as important as the running itself. You never know what you will face on race day.

I wouldn't count on anything race day and adjust accordingly. The further away you are coming from, and the worse the potential weather in your departure destination, the more important it is to get in a full day earlier than you have to. If you are running the half on Saturday, for example, I would get in Thursday if you can instead of Friday. My wife is running the 5K and we were getting in early on Wednesday but decided to just fly in Tuesday and stay off property for a night to be safe. January in Cleveland could be bad.

I don’t see anything specific on the website right now but I believe they tried to switch to a “no bib pickup on race day” policy in the near past. With all of the other limitations listed on the website seeming to emphasize a smaller volunteer/staffing requirement I would guess that is their plan again.

I would think in the situation of a genuine issue they would try to figure out something, but I don’t believe they want to advertise the option for people to potentially plan around abusing it.

thank you for your reply. We land before noon but my wife is nervous about the timing. I figure with Uber, she will probably get to WWoS before 2pm. Of course if the flight is delayed, we’re screwed, but it is the first flight of the day.

First, congratulations to all the DISers who completed Chicago! From what my running friends are telling me, both the heat and humidity were tough, so you all did great just to finish. I hope everyone enjoyed the experience of running one of top marathons in the world, even if the day wasn't the best for running.

SAFD: I've heard a lot of great advice, but one of my favorites is from multiple Olympian and 2018 Boston winner Des Linden - Just keep showing up!
Running rewards the persistent - the people who just keep getting out there and putting in the work. Some runs may not be great, but the cumulation of all of them will help you toward your goal. Just keep showing up and you'll be surprised at what you can do.

SAFD: Similar to others, but "trust your training" is some of the best advice I got. Too easy for your brain to start questioning everything you're doing. Know that if you're using a training plan, a lot of thought and experience has gone into it and if you follow it, it will get you to the finish line. The other would be to remember that the half way point of a marathon is really somewhere around mile 20. Knowing and planning for that helped me mentally prepare for what was coming.

SAFD: Lift! (And lift heavy.)

This may not be the best advice I've gotten, but the best thing I could add to what has already been said. Strength training, especially as we get older, is HUGE. It makes a lot of the other advice work.

Potential #2 answer: I'll be trying this in January... When doing your mental, pre-race visualization exercises, don't forget to include the pain. Thinking everything is going to be great and easy and victorious is a huge mistake. It will hurt, and chances are other things will go wrong, so visualize those things, and be more prepared.

SAFD: So much great advice has already been listed here. Anyone new to running or looking to take on a new distance/challenge would be smart to review it, consider it, and where appropriate, internalize it.

I have two things I have learned.

1. When you feel like you're on the struggle bus early on in training, remind yourself that you do not have to run the race distance today. Rather you are working towards being able to run the race distance on race day. Consistent training and following out a well laid out plan will have you ready come race day.

2. Learn to train your mind to deal with the challenges that are going to come on race day no matter how well prepared you are. Learn to silence the voice in your head that says you can't do it. Learn to distract your mind when your body tries to tell you that it's time to stop because it doesn't want to do this anymore. Your body will want to give up earlier just because it wants to. It figures that relaxing by the pool is more than the next few miles. So if your mind tells your body that it's in charge here and it wants to keep going, your body will follow suit.

And remember that once the mind thinks it's finished, the body will follow suit immediately and agree. With proper preparation and no serious injuries, you can will yourself to cross that finish line.

Congrats Chicago finishers! I am hoping to do that one next year - last time I applied I didn't get in, so here's hoping!

SAFD: Not really running advice, but more about having a positive mindset towards running. I have been injured enough times over the years that I am grateful for every run I can do. "NOT running sucks" is very true, so be thankful for the ability to run when there are so many who can't.

Question for my fellow slow runners out there: Do you use any nutrition other than standard gels/honey stingers/ etc when you are running FAR far? I am thinking through logistics for marathon day, and I feel like I may need something to eat by mile 19 or 20. So far, I've been ok with just my chews and whatnot, but I'm wondering if I just start trying out half a bagel or something like that.

Question for my fellow slow runners out there: Do you use any nutrition other than standard gels/honey stingers/ etc when you are running FAR far? I am thinking through logistics for marathon day, and I feel like I may need something to eat by mile 19 or 20. So far, I've been ok with just my chews and whatnot, but I'm wondering if I just start trying out half a bagel or something like that.

I did the virtual Boston Marathon Saturday and had the gels but also brought an Uncrustable with me and had that around Mile 16. It definitely helped.

SAFD: lots of good advice already but one I haven't seen yet is that you don't have to train for the same distance over and over. In fact, it's probably better if you don't. Mix it up, have a little fun. The different training cycles will improve different aspects of your running and make you a better overall runner. The changes also help avoid burnout by not doing the same workouts year round.

Was coming on here right now to ask the same question. I am getting ready to book my flight in. The flight I was looking at has me arriving on that Wednesday at 1:30pm. It seems like that would be plenty of time to get over to the expo before 8pm. But with way things are going in the airline industry, kind of has me nervous coming in that same day. Wondering if I shouldn't try to fly out the night before.

For checking in for the run, is there anyway to designate someone to pick up your race bib for you? Or do you have to personally pick it up? I am running the Dopey and my wife the half marathon. She was hoping there was a way to designate me to pick up her stuff ahead of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts