Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD:
Any part of the races I would have shared have been already.

So I will add after the finish line, walking down the finishers chute. Collecting your medal, getting my favorite blue Powerade taking a big drink. Hearing medals clink against each other, feeling tired, sore and elated. I cherish that brief minute or two of pure accomplishment, pride and pain. Then it is time to board a bus, clean up and get in a park!

Then it is time to have parking lot beers and celebrate with friends before going to board a bus, clean up and get in a park!

Fixed it for you :)

SAFD - of course Main St and then running through the castle leaving Fantasyland, but that last mile around WS in Epcot is so special. Just knowing you made it, the end is in sight, and the music is always on point (and usually making me cry!). I really can't describe that feeling of the last mile of a marathon, but anyone who has been there knows what I am talking about!

You all are making me miss the races so much! :sad: Even the parts that don’t seem fun at the time I’d give anything to experience right now!

My favorite race parts are pretty much the same as most of the rest of you:
1. During the Princess half in 2019, coming under the train station where Mickey was waving and then turning onto Main Street USA with the cheering spectators. So many emotions!
2. The turn into Epcot/World Showcase during last year’s Marathon Weekend 10K with the cast members from the countries cheering and the music playing. It just adds such a pep to your step.
3. All the races I’ve done with the Boardwalk as part of the course. I just love running there!
4. The Battle section of the Star Wars half marathon course! So cool!

And it’s not a section of the race itself, but am I alone in absolutely loving the arrival to the expo? There’s just nothing like the excitement of all the runners around, anticipating the races to come. Gah, I miss it like crazy and really hope we can be back soon! :guilty:

Not sure what was more likely to take me out for good: that Dis-rash or the rest of the Goof Troop Roving Road Party (TM) after listening to my squishy shoes for another 10 miles.

Has it been covered as to WHY you went into said drainage ditch? Were you just really beer-powered at that point? HAHAHA!

SAFD in random order:

The Battle for Endor.
Darth Vader tunnel at Disneyland Star Wars races. The entire tunnel was lightsaber clashes and Darth Vader sounds.
Running all sorts of different ways through Disneyland. You never ran through Disneyland the same way in those races.
The rush from the crowds along Main Street USA looking up at Cinderella Castle.
Getting into Hollywood Studios at the end of my first marathon. As I had already run 2 Star Wars races with similar course finishes, mentally I told myself that I had already done this before so I could do it again.
Entering Epcot during the marathon. Because it's very real now and almost over.
World Showcase with the torches lit in the final stretch before night turns into day. Peaceful, beautiful, and relatively quiet.
Unexpected character moments. Such as Sleeping Beauty in France at the end of Marathon 2020 and a large group of the 501st at the end of Dark Side 2018.
Character high fives at the finish line, especially Chip and Dale as they were there for my first half marathon and my first marathon.

Sad honorable mention: I so looked forward to running through Galaxy's Edge. And all the Star Wars race medal photos afterwards.

Huh - is ride riding allowed/encouraged ? When I did it back in 2006 I think most parks were closed during race

Huh - is ride riding allowed/encouraged ? When I did it back in 2006 I think most parks were closed during race

If you're in a park when it's open and the rides are operating, absolutely! It's one of the few perks those of us in the middle and back of the pack get. :)

Some people try and make a fastpass (when those were a thing) for around the time they think they'll be at the ride they want, or a lot have found that the standby line and CMs are amiable to letting racers jump the line. As long as you have buffer on being swept, go for it!

I also rode EE during the 2020 marathon. I'm glad I did it, but....I never quite recovered afterwards. I think EE was at about mile 17. I met up with my daughter, rode the ride with her, and had a drink from Thirsty River. It was hot, I was tired, and my body just sort of said "nice run, good drink, I think we are finished here". I ran through Blizzard Beach before they cut the course short, but the last 6 or 7 miles were just so hard; harder than the other marathons I have run. The heat was a big factor, but the ride through me off my pace, mentally and physically.

Now given all that, will I ride EE for Marathon 2022? Yes, absolutely! And maybe Tower of Terror if possible as well.

Last edited:
Bonus: If you forget to pause your Garmin you get a fun bit of tracking on your map that looks like this!
View attachment 568870
I think that’s how a certain family member ran their race two years ago... folded up their number in taking off a sweatshirt, so “lost” to tracking... and got back to the room an hour ahead of me despite “completing” the race. We compared notes and they had no memory of running through the castle, or going backstage... “got turned around in the hub.”
:confused3

I think that’s how a certain family member ran their race two years ago... folded up their number in taking off a sweatshirt, so “lost” to tracking... and got back to the room an hour ahead of me despite “completing” the race. We compared notes and they had no memory of running through the castle, or going backstage... “got turned around in the hub.”
:confused3
Busted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter