Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: I started running in high school to keep my weight down (oh, if I was only as “fat” today as I was then!) because it was cheap, quick and required not much more than a cute pair of Nikes and some headphones. Kept it up through my 20s, 30s and now 40s. 20+ years ago, I worked for a health and fitness magazine in San Antonio and while volunteering at the SA Marathon, I decided it would take “marching bands and Mickey Mouse” to make me run a marathon. I kept saying that all the way to signing up more my first RD marathon 6 years ago.

I’ve never been particularly fast and am usually dealing with some type of knee issue, but I plug away. Running has given me great friendships with some amazing people, and we’ve used thousands of miles as therapy sessions. It has also given me an excuse to get out of town on racecations, including my beloved Disney.

SAFD: Our niece was born in November 2017. Looking at the photos with her, we knew we’ve put on weight, but didn’t realize how much. In early 2018 we decided we wanted to go on a true vacation and also to lose weight. We both loved Disney growing up, so what better way than to do a run at Disney!

So we signed up for the 2018 Wine and Dine Challenge and started training. I lost about 30 lbs between March and December 2018.

Once we got back from W&D, we decided to sign up for the full marathon for 2020 to keep us motivated. This trip has delved into not only a marathon, but a full on family vacation on both my side of the family and my wife’s. So this will be my niece and nephews first time to Disney World.

Excited that in exactly a month we will be at the expo!

I also started running solely because of Run Disney. I'd never run outside of gym classes until the Disneyland 5k in 1995 and I wanted to run through the park, so I signed up. That's the first I'd heard of the Disney marathon and I wanted to do that and run through all of the Disney World parks but didn't think I could do a marathon, so it sat in the back of my mind for a couple of decades until I finally decided to do it. And I was in the "this will be my only marathon" group, but the whole experience, the people I've met and the Disney medals have kept me going. Now I have a growing list of places I want to run.

So with us being a month out, I feel like i'm going to need a TON of assistance in terms of pointers. I still am unable to do a 5k in under 40 minutes, so there's that, but i also am completely lost as to what i should plan on bringing / carrying during the half marathon. Is "Fuel" that big of a deal for a half, or is that mainly for the full?

SAFD: I started running in college. I never ran "long" and I never raced. It wasn't until my mid 40s that my brother challenged me to run the Disney Half Marathon. I crashed and burned, but completed the course. I'm signed up for the Goofy because the Mickey sold out ;)

Reasons to run:
-- mood modification
-- I like having a new sense of competency late in life (accomplishing things I never thought I could do)
-- I like be part of the running community
-- I find new ways to challenge myself even as I get older

...I still am unable to do a 5k in under 40 minutes... Is "Fuel" that big of a deal for a half, or is that mainly for the full?

Assuming you can run a 41 minute 5k, your "back of the envelope" time estimate is 3:15:00. That's a long time to run without any carbs. You might consider seeing how you handle powerade (me no likee). You could do a training run and take 8 ounces in every 30 minutes and see "what comes up!" If your results are good with powerade, then you could rely on what Disney is providing #problemSolved

If its not a pleasant experience, time to consider some other form of carbs.

So with us being a month out, I feel like i'm going to need a TON of assistance in terms of pointers. I still am unable to do a 5k in under 40 minutes, so there's that, but i also am completely lost as to what i should plan on bringing / carrying during the half marathon. Is "Fuel" that big of a deal for a half, or is that mainly for the full?

Are you doing Dopey? honestly I forgot.

If you are fuel is important well before you hit the long legs. You need to be looking at upping stuff starting a few days out. Usually once I hit two to three days from a marathon I stop concentrating on my calorie count. Leave MFP and start making sure I am getting a decent amount of carbs in. For Dopey this kicks in when I arrive on Tuesday.

Yes fuel is important for the half. You can’t really come back from a deficit once it starts. Especially if your doing multi races.You need to be on top of it from go.

I’m not saying go hog wild. Too far off track can be just as bad. But make sure your fueling well beforehand.

I’m always said better to eat a bit too much then too little. Because the later can and will bite you more then the former.

Assuming you can run a 41 minute 5k, your "back of the envelope" time estimate is 3:15:00. That's a long time to run without any carbs. You might consider seeing how you handle powerade (me no likee). You could do a training run and take 8 ounces in every 30 minutes and see "what comes up!" If your results are good with powerade, then you could rely on what Disney is providing #problemSolved

If its not a pleasant experience, time to consider some other form of carbs.

I have a string stomach and i don't feel like anything i consume would have a negative effect on me. Powerade is fine as i've chugged it during sports before inbetween sprints with no issues.

Are you doing Dopey? honestly I forgot.

If you are fuel is important well before you hit the long legs. You need to be looking at upping stuff starting a few days out. Usually once I hit two to three days from a marathon I stop concentrating on my calorie count. Leave MFP and start making sure I am getting a decent amount of carbs in. For Dopey this kicks in when I arrive on Tuesday.

Yes fuel is important for the half. You can’t really come back from a deficit once it starts. Especially if your doing multi races.You need to be on top of it from go.

I’m not saying go hog wild. Too far off track can be just as bad. But make sure your fueling well beforehand.

I’m always said better to eat a bit too much then too little. Because the later can and will bite you more then the former.

I'm only doing the half, but will be walking all day at the park the day before.

SAFD: I started running when I accompanied my wife and one of her friends to walk the Austin half in 2013. Zero running experience for me although my wife had run several marathons. I had a good time but felt it was a bit slow. Trained for a year and ran the race in 2014. Decided I would like a bigger challenge and since my wife had a great time running the 2001 WDW marathon, we would try the 2015 Goofy. That weekend did not go well, as I broke my hip (femoral neck stress fracture). Decided to come back stronger next year and attempt Dopey. Quit smoking in June 2015 and finished my first marathon at the QuadCities in September. Finished my first Dopey in 2016.

I now do runDisney races for fun. It is something I can do together with my wife, as she is not interested in a lot of the races I now run.

Why I run has certainly changed over my very brief time running. I have put on 10 lbs since i started running but my body comp is quite different. I like the challenges that running has given me and my current goal is to run a 100 miler that I feel like a did well. I do not find my current job very challenging or interesting, so that may be a part of it. I like the freedom of being able to be just about anywhere and as long as I have shoes and running vest, I can head out on a 20-30 mile adventure.

I'm only doing the half, but will be walking all day at the park the day before.

Okay so then make sure your eating. Deficit going in won’t be too bad but you will still be burning calories with the multiple miles around the park.

And as said definitely make sure you eat during the half. You’ll have a much better time. Start finding what fuel works for you now before race day

Fuel is definitely a big deal for a half, especially if you know you’ll be out there for a good while. Even if you normally have a strong stomach, a race can change that. Make sure to practice with different fuels during your long runs, so you know what works for you, and also what tastes good to you when you’ve been running. Please ask for any pointers/assistance you need—you’ve got plenty of people here who are happy to help. Disney is a wonderful place to run, and I know you’ll have a great time!

What’s been your longest run so far and did you use any fuel during it?

Virtually every aspect of aspect of running is deeply personal and what works for one person may not work for someone else (just bring up bananas around these parts and watch the melee).

There are less than 5 weeks to go and depending on your plan, you might only have one long run left. I would recommend heading to your local running store, checking out fuel options and try them out. My recollection is rD has sports beans on the course, so that may be a good starting point.

One rule we almost all adhere to is “nothing new on race day.” It’s solid advice.

Good luck with your training. There is a lot of great info on this thread - some of it scientific, some anecdotal - ask whatever questions pop up.

The advice I have heard most often is to target about 200 calories per hour of activity. How you get those calories is a matter of what works for you and what you like. I believe the half marathons usually have one 'fuel' station on the course and I believe they are Sport Beans. If you eat before the race, you will have that buffer to hold you over during the start of the race but some people cannot eat before a race. I usually consume about 200 calories during a half but running on a deficit does not work for everyone. If it is hot < 80 degrees, I would suggest consideration to electrolytes also but I guess that is not super likely in January.

SAFD: I always enjoyed being active (dancing, taught aerobics and mat Pilates classes on occasion), but I hated running. Once I had my second baby in 2008, I decided to give it a try. #1 I wanted to lose the 60+ lbs. I put on, and #2 My sister-in-law ran a half marathon and it looked like so much fun! I followed a couch to 5K program and other than having my third baby (I always get super sick while pregnant and then C-sections take a while to recover from), I haven't taken any significant time off of running. I am not fast at all. I enjoy using the Galloway run/walk method. For me the joy is in how much better running makes me feel (and like some of you, I use running as a tool in managing my depression and anxiety). The fact that I can merge my love of running with my love of Disney is spectacular, and I really really hope they don't ever do away with runDisney!

Good luck finding what works best for you! My stomach is pretty finicky, so I cannot handle sports drinks of any kind. I like water and sports beans (I eat a few beans every 35/40 minutes).

My 5k time is 45 minutes, and I was able to finish since I had made sure to have a lot distance training at that pace. I would not plan on stopping and standing in line for character photos, but a quick pause to snap a photo will be fine.

Others have mentioned fueling already so I will add one suggestion, if you have a running store/REI/sporting goods store near you go buy a packet of the multi flavor Jelly Belly sport beans and give them a try. This is typically the fuel at the one food stop during the half, and you can get a small sample bag at the expo to consume earlier in the course. The reason I suggest trying them ahead of time is that Jelly Belly loving DH couldn’t handle eating the mash of flavors in our kitchen.

So I am no expert, and everyone is different. But first a 40 minute 5k (or a 41 minute 5k) is a 5k! So many people can not walk 3 miles let alone run it! So, know that if you are training then you will be ready for your Half, don’t worry about pace too much. 13.1 miles will take some time so you do need to think about fueling. You will get your electrolytes from the Powerade served at the aid stations. If you are walking the parks the day before stay hydrated, that will help. When considering energy you might want to consider one of the many calorie/energy sources sold in running/sports shops. If you ask around you will get tons of advice on which is best. I would suggest trying a few different items during training runs. Look for things that taste good to you (and would taste good when you are hot or cold and tired. Then you need to think about how many calories you want to take in during the race. I am a big guy and I shoot for about 100-150 calories an hour. There are tons of options out there but I am a fan of Shot Bloks and Skittles (I usually save these for late in the run as something to look forward to and as a boost). Sorry this is so long. Good luck in the Half!

SAFD:
I started running in elementary school. My family were track runners so I ran on age group track teams and then school cross-country and track teams through college. I was actually a fairly good runner, but more of a mid sprinter 200m, 400m and 800m. Once I was out of school there is not much call for sprinters... Sadly I kind of sat on my laurels for many years (and those laurels grew...). In my 30’s I got into adventure racing and realized I needed much better cardio and started running. From then on I ran on and off but never committed. When I was 44 I decided I wanted to run a marathon. I set my sights on the WDW Marathon in 2015. I have been running since, short an injury.

I run because it reconnected me to feelings of challenge and purpose. I have had to let go of ego, I am a slower runner. I have to admit for a long time this was hard for me to accept. I wanted to go out and excel. I have decided that excel just means something different now. To excel is to challenge myself, to push through the tough times and to be present in the moment. Since the injury I am so grateful to be able to run again, I pretty much lost a year. I am running Dopey this year, these will be my first real races since the 2018 Dopey and I am excited to see if I can do this again. I will be way slower, but I think way more appreciative!

I ran a year of track in high school (mid-distance- 400 and 800m), followed by some 2-ish mile runs on the treadmill while in college. Every year, I said I was going to run a 5k. In 2012, I finally completed Couch to 5k, except I did a 10k first. :P Then I was hooked. I found the Disney Marathon, I glommed onto my local running club, and I was off!

I run for a variety of reasons - 1. To eat all the food (which, you know, isn't a great idea and running doesn't actually burn that many calories!). 2. For health benefits. 3. For me time. I don't listen to anything when I run outside (I do watch TV or listen to an audiobook when on the treadmill), and it allows my brain to just chill out for a while. And while I love my kids to the moon and back, the constant yabbering of a 3 yo and 5yo can wear you down. I'm always doing something for someone else when I'm at home, I like to run to remember that I am still me.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 30 flipping days from the start of Marathon Weekend!!

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, I want to know ... why do you run? What motivates you? And why did you choose the particular race(s) you plan to run next month?

I run for several reasons. One, it gives me the opportunity to travel around the world for races to see cities from a point of view that most people never get. Two, I like to challenge myself and running is kind of a requirement for completing marathons, ultras, and long distance triathlons. Three, and really the best reason, is that burning calories while running allows me to replenish them with pizza and booze. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter