Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: This is the first time I’ve ever really stuck to a training plan and I actually did it! It’s been neat to see how much easier long runs have gotten (first half for me, this has felt miraculous as I never thought I could ) That being said, I run an online retail shop so the training took a hit this week due to cyber weekend workload😬😬😬 Def need this weekends run. My husband laughs because now I’m grumpy if I DON’T get to run versus whining “do I have to?” Lol

also side note, anyone need a support group to keep from looking at rise of the resistance spoilers? I’m trying SO HARD not to look for once since it’s so close for us.

Regarding fueling during the race: Last month during the Vegas Rock & Roll marathon they gave out diced, warm, buttery baked potatoes in little cups. I had four of them and it was the best fuel I ever had!
It was even better than Germany beer at mile 25.4.
Far removed from my first marathon in which I took in NO FUEL WHATSOEVER! :oops:

Regarding fueling during the race: Last month during the Vegas Rock & Roll marathon they gave out diced, warm, buttery baked potatoes in little cups. I had four of them and it was the best fuel I ever had!
Far removed from my first marathon in which I took in NO FUEL WHATSOEVER! :oops:
Yes to the potatoes! I ran the Vegas Rock n Roll half and was shocked when I was offered hot potatoes at one of the latest fueling stops. I couldn't believe how much they hit the spot. My sister-in-law said her husband often takes baggies of cold mashed potatoes on day long bike rides. Who knew!

That moment when you have to tell your trainer that your probably going to have to skip running on Tuesday in less then two weeks time...

If the madness around ROTR holds good chance I’m going to be dragging me and my friends butt out of bed around 4 am. We’re doing the Christmas Party so we won’t get back into our hotel until 1.There is no way I can do a run on a 21 hour day. Not even my Dopey days are that long.

Salted potatoes are a staple at nearly every ultra I've ever run. That and chicken noodle soup really hit the spot.

I've avoided this thread like the plague since Thanksgiving, and now have finally reconciled myself to not coming down in January. I exhausted all possibilities to find a bib and it exhausted me! I learned a pricy lesson about gambling on race registration, as I am out airfare and one night room ressie (which is technically refundable but in reality, ???)

Hope that all have great races. Now can anyone tell me how to hide a thread? :)

Training has been going good for the most part. Was supposed to do 15 miles last week, but cut it at 9 due to knee pain. I think as I’ve been ramping up the milage, a knee injury from 10 years ago when I hit a tree snowboarding has reared its head.

Today went out with food and water for a long run, but was willing to stop when necessary. Almost stopped at the half mile mark as the pain started right away. Once it loosened up, the pain all but went away. Able to hit 15 miles and felt good the entire run.

..............Last month during the Vegas Rock & Roll marathon they gave out diced, warm, buttery baked potatoes in little cups. I had four of them and it was the best fuel I ever had!..............

Yes to the potatoes! I ran the Vegas Rock n Roll half and was shocked when I was offered hot potatoes at one of the latest fueling stops. I couldn't believe how much they hit the spot. My sister-in-law said her husband often takes baggies of cold mashed potatoes on day long bike rides. Who knew!

Salted potatoes are a staple at nearly every ultra I've ever run. That and chicken noodle soup really hit the spot.

I met a lady at MCM who fuels with instant mashed potatoes!.................

Too late now but maybe a side of McD Fries with my M&M McFlurry and double/double Espresso would have really stoked the furnace and got me hopping at mile 15.5. :yay:

p.s. --best chicken soup is Ironman's for us slow marathoners

Too late now but maybe a side of McD Fries with my M&M McFlurry and double/double Espresso would have really stoked the furnace and got me hopping at mile 15.5. :yay:

p.s. --best chicken soup is Ironman's for us slow marathoners

I got through my Ironman run on potato chips, flat Coke, and small Dixie cups of soup.

Training for Dopey gets harder as the years past. This is my first marathon in my 40s and we welcomed a little girl last month. This has both helped and hindered my training. I don't have as set of a schedule as past years, but my paternity leave has made finding extra time easier. I did a solid training simulation (5/6/9/19) a few weeks ago, but it wore me out pretty good. We've actually had some good weather, so I took advantage of a 50 degree day to do an impromptu 20 miler last weekend. Going to try to hit 22 miles tomorrow am. Then one more long run in two weeks.

I too am avoiding ROTR as much as possible. Trying to invest my time on thinking through what the new course may be. One month to go, which will bring the search for course maps, bib numbers, corrals, and weather.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 30 flipping days from the start of Marathon Weekend!!

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, I want to know ... why do you run? What motivates you? And why did you choose the particular race(s) you plan to run next month?

Running for me started 10 years ago as a health thing. I was overweight and I wanted to set a good example for my young daughters. There was a lot of stopping and starting in the ensuing years, but I'm happy to say it's become a consistent part of my life. As I get older, I appreciate that running helps me continue to manage my health.

I have also found that running gives me confidence. I feel good about myself after a long run or completing a race. I participated in all sorts of sports growing up, but was never what I would consider an "athlete." Running makes me feel like an athlete and while there are more important things - like being a father - feeling like an athlete is a nice addition to that.

I initially signed up for Goofy because I knew I wanted to do the full and didn't want to travel to WDW for one race. It being an anniversary year made adding the half an easy decision. I added the 10K later since it worked with my schedule and I'm one of those weirdos that wants the Oswald medal.

Have a great week, everyone!

SAFD: I started running as a teenager for sports and also with a probably pretty unhealthy obsession with weight control. I still run today mostly as an antidepressant/anti-anxiety measure. Being sidelined with an injury the past few weeks shows me how much I really need it! :crazy:
I signed up for Goofy to prevent me from stressing/obsessing over trying to get a PR in the marathon while we are on a Disney vacation! Just covering this new 2-day distance should be enough of an accomplishment. I trained hard for a sub-1 hr 10k at Star Wars and, of course, it was much hotter/more humid in FL than where I was training in PA. I still managed to squeak out a sub-1 hr by 10 seconds. Afterward DH asked, "So, there was about a 10 second difference between you being in a good mood and you being in a bad mood the rest of this weekend, huh?" And the answer was yes. Now that I'm injured, simply reminding myself that all I wanted to do was finish has been a sanity saver.

I hated running when I was younger. I never ever thought I would do any sort of race (I thought those people were crazy). When I heard about RunDisney it seemed like a great excuse to go to WDW. I thought I could walk a race...turns out I can't walk that fast for a sustained amount of time. So, I became an interval runner. I felt a huge and concrete sense of accomplishment when I finished my first half. That is a big part of why I decided to push myself to do my first full.

When I first heard about Dopey, I thought those people were totally and completely insane. Now it seems like a good next goal! 🙂

For this week's Sundays are for Disney, I want to know ... why do you run? What motivates you? And why did you choose the particular race(s) you plan to run next month?
Much like some of you, I started running for the first time in my life (I was 38 at the time...) because of runDisney. I had heard that runDisney races were fun and I had my eye on Wine & Dine. I was an avid walker but knew I couldn’t complete 13.1 miles under 15 min/mile by walking alone. So, that’s when I started running with a goal of half and half for race night (1:1 min intervals).

When I signed up for my first marathon weekend last year, I knew I wanted to run one short distance race plus the marathon. So, I registered for the Best Pals Challenge (5k and Full). The 5k was in memory of my Best Pal that I lost in 2017. Then...runDisney dropped Pluto and stuck me with Oswald. It was devastating! So, this year I decided to pick my short distance race on course, not character. So I picked the 10k and Full (Couples Challenge). Once again...runDisney stuck me with Oswald! So, I later added on the Pluto themed 5k. Now I am running everything but the half (because I have no interest in running that course and greatly value the rest day before the marathon!)

SAFD: I run mostly for health reasons and to help handle anxiety issues. I ran 5Ks for a long time and thought anything longer was crazy. I ran my first marathon at 40, and I about to complete my fourth marathon!

I have done two Disney marathons and after seeing Dopeys the first year, I knew I had to try. This is my year. The upshot is I getting (maybe got) my wife back into running. She did the San Francisco Marathon in 2011. She is doing the 10k and half next month. My oldest just joined cross country this year, and we did a 5k last night as a family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter