Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: Luckily, my 2018 MW HM is still good for POT at 1:30:35. So I'm safe there. Race wise, I've got a few along the way to continue to test and tweak the training towards the sub-3 attempt.

May 25th - Brat Fest 5k
June 15th - Hot2Trot HM - That'll conclude my current 28 week training cycle.

Then I'm off for two weeks to try and reduce the overall training load and allow my body to do some serious recovering. Then, the plan at the moment is to follow a 28 week Kona Ironman training plan leading into the 2020 Disney Marathon. Along the way, I've got a few checkpoint races that I may or may not do depending on how I feel I'm progressing.

Sept 22nd - DoLittle 5k or HM
October 20th - Haunted Hustle HM
December 1st - Last Call HM (probably as a supported training run because it's sandwiched between two peak weeks)

I'd like to see Hot2Trot in the 1:30-1:36 range, and I really would like to see Haunted Hustle (under ideal conditions) under 1:26.

@Professor_Cookie - a former coworker ran the Red Bull 400 last year and is doing it again this year. I'd love to do it but can't really rationalize going from PA to UT just for that race! Maybe someday!

Right now, I'm in a @DopeyBadger training plan for a half marathon at the end of the month that I may or may not run (May is turkey hunting month for my DH so I usually don't plan any races for this month. I need to ask him if I can have that Saturday morning or ask my parents to have both kids stay over since I need to leave before 6am). I've been sick with a stomach bug the last two weeks and a bad cold the last week, so it hasn't been going great recently. I did get my 10 miles in today though (somewhat on pace)!

June - nothing on the calendar
July - trail 15k
August - 7k

I *think* my schedule after that is going to be a local marathon in November and then the WDW marathon. I did marathons in 2017 and 2018, and I like the idea of doing one/year, so the local November and January Disney will cross off two more years. And I want to break 4:30....and 4:00.

I just haven't had the courage to sign up for either yet.

After the latest Runner's World issue, I also decided to start a run streak. Mostly I follow my plan and do 1-milers on my Rest days. I'm on day 10 now. I'm going to have to determine how this figures into future plans. It's gotten me excited about running again, which is good.

@Professor_Cookie - a former coworker ran the Red Bull 400 last year and is doing it again this year. I'd love to do it but can't really rationalize going from PA to UT just for that race! Maybe someday!

Right now, I'm in a @DopeyBadger training plan for a half marathon at the end of the month that I may or may not run (May is turkey hunting month for my DH so I usually don't plan any races for this month. I need to ask him if I can have that Saturday morning or ask my parents to have both kids stay over since I need to leave before 6am). I've been sick with a stomach bug the last two weeks and a bad cold the last week, so it hasn't been going great recently. I did get my 10 miles in today though (somewhat on pace)!

June - nothing on the calendar
July - trail 15k
August - 7k

I *think* my schedule after that is going to be a local marathon in November and then the WDW marathon. I did marathons in 2017 and 2018, and I like the idea of doing one/year, so the local November and January Disney will cross off two more years. And I want to break 4:30....and 4:00.

I just haven't had the courage to sign up for either yet.

After the latest Runner's World issue, I also decided to start a run streak. Mostly I follow my plan and do 1-milers on my Rest days. I'm on day 10 now. I'm going to have to determine how this figures into future plans. It's gotten me excited about running again, which is good.
Tell your friend to be on the lookout for a fairly tall guy with massive calves.

Side note on height and ultra running. I always say I am just too tall to be an endurance athlete, but I am gonna have to stop that because Jim Walmsey set the 50 mile record yesterday and he is almost my height. He is 70# less, though, and I just don’t ever see me getting that low.

@Professor_Cookie :worship:

SAFD: I have no races, which was the case before I injured myself. Tomorrow I go for a bone scan, and if I'm lucky it won't show a stress fracture or two in my left hip. If that's the case, I fully expect to run next month/the summer just for fun.

Then I need to think about what I want to do, if anything for marathon weekend. I would like to go, but wonder if doing the half is really something I want to bother with (I've done that course at least 5-6 times). Playing it all by ear.

SAFD:

I need a Dopey proof of time so there is a lot of running this summer for me.
May: Chicago Springtime Half
Soldier Field 10 miler

June:
Northshore Half Marathon
Local 5k or 10ks

July:
RnR Chicago Half
Local 5k or 10ks

August:
Fort 2 Base 10 nautical miles race
Local 5k or 10ks

September:
Mag Mile 10k
Brookfield Zoo 5k
Fox Valley 20 miler
Chicago Half marathon

October:
Chicago Marathon

@Professor_Cookie :worship:

SAFD: I have no races, which was the case before I injured myself. Tomorrow I go for a bone scan, and if I'm lucky it won't show a stress fracture or two in my left hip. If that's the case, I fully expect to run next month/the summer just for fun.

Then I need to think about what I want to do, if anything for marathon weekend. I would like to go, but wonder if doing the half is really something I want to bother with (I've done that course at least 5-6 times). Playing it all by ear.
(In comic book guy voice) Worst. Midlife crisis. Ever.

SAFD: I'm going to be pretty busy. I ran the Great Western HM today, and on my schedule are:

June - North Shore HM
August - Big10K, and Fort2Base 10NM (10 nautical miles)
September - Run for the Hills HM
October - Des Plaines River Trail Marathon
November - Wine & Dine 10K, and Wine & Dine HM
January - F3 Lake HM as a final training run if it isn't too close to the Disney Marathon

Other than Disney, all of the races are in Chicagoland.

Edit....Hey @regul8ter18 , just noticed your post; it looks like we are both running North Shore and Fort2Base. I ran North Shore last year and Fort2Base will be my first.

Last edited:
May - Peach Jam Memorial Day HM, Cumming, GA
June - Remarkable River 10K, Port Orange, FL
July - Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta
August - Table Rock 5k Trail Race, SC
September - no race, but 3-days hiking planned, N Ga mountains
October - Atlanta 10 Miler
November - all Wine & Dine races, and Atlanta Thanksgiving Day HM
December - no race, but while DH does his Lookout Mt race, I’ll do my last Goofy training run/20+ miler on the River Walk, Chattanooga, TN
January 2020 - Goofy

The plan is at least one per month, but it doesn’t always work out that way. e.g. no Sept or Dec race, but four in November. I can’t stop training because there’s always a race coming up!

I have the Cosley Zoo 10k in early June. This should be a new PR for me, if only by a minute, since my last 10k for time was this race in 2017 and even though my training has been poor since January I am still ahead of where I was in 2017. After that there are 2 5ks for fun on the schedule: Cream Puff in July (which I might turn into a run at home so I feel like I earn the shirt) and Brookfield Zoo in September.

Most likely no Disney for me in 2020 due to family issues so trying to find ways to stay motivated and moving. Which is hard.

@Sleepy425, you are ahead of where I was two years ago (just under 50 minutes for a 5k) and I managed to finish my first half in January 2018 in under 3 hours. Stick with your training. You can do it without fear of the sweep line.

SAFD: I'm going to be pretty busy. I ran the Great Western HM today, and on my schedule are:

June - North Shore HM
August - Big10K, and Fort2Base 10NM (10 nautical miles)
September - Run for the Hills HM
October - Des Plaines River Trail Marathon
November - Wine & Dine 10K, and Wine & Dine HM
January - F3 Lake HM as a final training run if it isn't too close to the Disney Marathon

Other than Disney, all of the races are in Chicagoland.

Edit....Hey @regul8ter18 , just noticed your post; it looks like we are both running North Shore and Fort2Base. I ran North Shore last year and Fort2Base will be my first.

I have done the Northshore since 2012. Not sure if you have done it before but I am not looking forward to the hill. Fort2Base will be a first for me but my dad has done it a few times.

I have the Cosley Zoo 10k in early June. This should be a new PR for me, if only by a minute, since my last 10k for time was this race in 2017 and even though my training has been poor since January I am still ahead of where I was in 2017. After that there are 2 5ks for fun on the schedule: Cream Puff in July (which I might turn into a run at home so I feel like I earn the shirt) and Brookfield Zoo in September.

Most likely no Disney for me in 2020 due to family issues so trying to find ways to stay motivated and moving. Which is hard.

I will also be at the Cosley Zoo race but doing the 5k. I am running with the Dick Ponds walk to run group, it is the graduation race. I will also be doing the Brookfield Zoo 5k with my mom and our friend who will be doing some of the races marathon weekend.

I’m doing a 10 miler series this year - one in Maine last week, Newport RI in June, and Vermont in November.

Might try to PR a 10k in the fall at some point.

I’ve got a half proof of time from exactly a year ago today that I’ll likely use for the marathon, as it puts me in C (And I’ll never make B). Unless I eek out a 10 miler PR or pick up another half unexpectedly between now and POT day.

SAFD:

I did not post last week because I couldn’t choose pictures. All the ones I prefer have attitude in them and are not particularly telling to anyone else.

For Dopey 2020, I have a POT from last September that places me in corral C. Due to weather/injuries/change of strides I haven’t resume speed work since last November. So I doubt I will repeat sub-two for my upcoming HM in May and in June. Then, I plan to run my first full Marathon in September with no time objective. I will probably have a free HM in October but it is not a course conductive to PR so, another training run.

For my DD 11yo, we will mostly need to be consistent in her training so she can enjoy the 5k and her first 10k during Marathon Weekend. She ran two 5k this month and we have one in August. If she needs another one for motivation, we will probably find it later.

SAFD:

My goal is to better my POT. For me, Disney races are my fun races (especially with the Dopey challenge), so I don't really care that much about which corral I am in. Nevertheless, getting in an earlier corral means less time sitting around waiting, and I can also finish quicker and can get back into the parks faster! Since I didn't even bother submitting a time last year, just doing a 1/2 marathon before October should better my placement! It would be nice to get to the Magic Kingdom during the marathon while it is still mostly dark and the castle is lit up.

I have Wine & Dine half in November - looking forward to that!
As part of training my DD (17) up for that half we have:
  • Boulder Boulder 10K- just for the fun of it!
  • Wonder Woman Denver 10k (POT for her)
  • Hot Chocolate 15K - 4 weeks before the half
Still annoyed that I missed the 10 miler POT cut off by 1:30 secs last weekend. Might do another 10 miler in a few weeks for redemption.
Although Dopey Badger confirmed that a half time from last fall will still work for my Marathon POT. (thank you again!)
That minute 30 secs just bugs me! But enough to pay another $100 to try again?? I am not sure.

SAFD: I don’t really have anything big planned for now until Wine and Dine. I plan to do a few local races this summer but those are 5k/10k distances. Props to all of you who do further race distances during the summer! I’m already feeling the heat and it’s only going to get worse from here.

SAFD:

May - ran the Mississauga HM yesterday and PR'd! This new POT will move me up for W&D but not for MW.
May - Sporting Life 10K
June - lululemon Toronto 10K
October - Chicago Marathon - first non-Disney marathon
November - W&D Two Course Challenge

This is what I've registered for so far but I'll probably sign up for a couple more races in August / September.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter