Total tangent alert!!

I just realized that this year we'll be at WDW Marathon weekend for our 30th wedding anniversary! YAY!!

So, polling my running friends rather than the resort board (because I like you guys BEST) - where would you stay for a great combination marathon hotel/romantic anniversary hotel stay? We stayed at the Poly this past marathon and while we liked it, I left a bit disappointed. Although to be fair, I think the lousy and cold weather had more to do with that than anything.

It will be our 20th! What a way to celebrate right?? Congrats! Hotel is not that important to us.. I have stayed in the suites at AK Lodge and it was amazing!

SAFD - Great question! I'm going to provide both WDW and DL:

WDW:
1) Big Thunder - this ride makes me smile from start to finish. Pure Disney magic combining thrills, and original theming that to me is a marvel of Imagineering. Its standing goes up even more at night - a great attraction that is even better at night.
2) Splash Mtn - quite easily the best water ride I've ever ridden (I guess it wins that by a mile...)
3) EE - I love this ride, and while I'm a coaster fiend, I must be struggling with going backwards in my later years as this portion of the ride has made me a bit queasy...
4) Space Mtn - a great ride, but I love DL's so much more, esp. with the onboard soundtrack which is huge for me.

DL:
1) Space Mtn - proof that the biggest and tallest coasters aren't always the best. The sense of speed this thing creates in such a tight space (and at relatively slow actual speeds) is a marvel to me. Add in very fun overlays with Ghost Galaxy and Hyperspace Mountain and this is one of my favorite coaster experiences ever.
2) Big Thunder - still great, and at night it is probably #1 for me
3) Splash Mtn - awesome ride, but I like the log configuration at MK better...
4) Matterhorn - a classic... an original... and the updated theming is terrific. If they were able to somehow re-build so you could bank the turns it would probably be #1 for me... As it is now, it is pretty jerky, which brings it down a notch. This probably passes Splash Mtn at night, however, where it really comes alive.

March Madness is over, but the party never stops on the Disboards! I'm coming at you today with our own Final Four, a WDW mountain showdown. So, what's your favorite mountain - Splash, Space, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad or Expedition Everest?
For as long as I can remember, Disneyland’s Splash Mountain has been my favorite! I have fond memories of America Sings and I’m pretty sure many of those animatronics were repurposed for the original Splash.

However, I haven’t rode Splash in years (I’m never there when it’s hot) add Disneyland’s new Big Thunder Mountain special effects... and Thunder just may be my new favorite Disneyland mountain!

I haven’t been able to ride Space Mountain in years, since Mission Space gave me motion sickness (yes, I blame my motion sickness solely on MS). Needless to say, Expedition Everest was a one-and-done.

At WDW I am going to also say Thunder followed by Splash. However, I greatly prefer both mountains at Disneyland. (At WDW I’m all about Tower of Terror and the World Showcase.)

Total tangent alert!!

I just realized that this year we'll be at WDW Marathon weekend for our 30th wedding anniversary! YAY!!

So, polling my running friends rather than the resort board (because I like you guys BEST) - where would you stay for a great combination marathon hotel/romantic anniversary hotel stay? We stayed at the Poly this past marathon and while we liked it, I left a bit disappointed. Although to be fair, I think the lousy and cold weather had more to do with that than anything.

I vote AKL. The savannah at sunset would be pretty darn romantic, IMO. Plus, I’m currently obsessing over Boma, Jiko and Sanaa. Maybe do that and a tour at AK?? (It’s so much easier to spend someone else’s money ;) )

Total tangent alert!!

I've read the other responses and will go off script with my suggestion. As a BCV fan I would suggest the BWI. The atmosphere of an Epcot Resort pre/post race is great! May I suggest a dinner at the Flying Fish? You can walk to the HHHH on Friday and I will be out there cheering you on on Sunday! And Congrats on the 30 years!

That'll play a role as well. I typically advise Temp + Dew adjustments to my pacing structure as well. Something like the following:

View attachment 315126

Well I'm here if you want to use me as a resource. I feel quite confident that if you let me write you a plan that I can get you under 4:30 with 90% confidence. I also think we could possibly get you under 4 hours with about a 10-20% chance of that. Just a matter of looking at all the data and finding the best course of action from there.

@DopeyBadger - I have been following along awhile and ran my 1st Disney race this year (Goofy Challenge) which was also my 1st Marathon. I have done 2 HM and have always run a little to stay in shape but definitely would not call myself a runner. I see you posted that you help with training plans and I would love any help or guidance you could provide as I seem stuck at my current pace (2:05 HM/4:56 M at Goofy) and I would like to get an idea how I could improve these times as I feel I am not training properly. I would like to keep some other weight training involved so not sure how that would play into any plan. Thanks for any help you can provide and I really appreciate your help and experience along with everyone else on this wonderful board!

@DopeyBadger - I have been following along awhile and ran my 1st Disney race this year (Goofy Challenge) which was also my 1st Marathon. I have done 2 HM and have always run a little to stay in shape but definitely would not call myself a runner. I see you posted that you help with training plans and I would love any help or guidance you could provide as I seem stuck at my current pace (2:05 HM/4:56 M at Goofy) and I would like to get an idea how I could improve these times as I feel I am not training properly. I would like to keep some other weight training involved so not sure how that would play into any plan. Thanks for any help you can provide and I really appreciate your help and experience along with everyone else on this wonderful board!

I'd be happy to help! Send me a PM and let's see what we can come up with. You'll just need to post 10 total times to gain the DIS PM privilege.

Total tangent alert!!

I'd say a villa at Beach Club or Contemporary since it looks like you don't want Poly again. Skip Grand Floridian. The main building is gorgeous, as are the grounds, but the rooms are stale and not worth the money. Use the money you saved for a dinner at Victoria & Albert's. One of the best restaurants in the country. Ask for a table in the Queen Victoria room, get the wine pairing, and hope you have Jack and Sherry or Aaron and Amy as your servers.

@ZellyB — Beach Club Villa so you can hang with me, obviously!!!

That said - you can probably get the Ritz/Four Seasons/Waldorf for the same price if you’re willing to sacrifice race transportation for luxe accommodations.

I may cancel my BCV stay because we can stay at the Waldorf for cheaper that weekend, and, well, it’s the Waldorf.

Yikes, a week away from the boards can be crazy to catch up on.

March Madness is over, but the party never stops on the Disboards! I'm coming at you today with our own Final Four, a WDW mountain showdown. So, what's your favorite mountain - Splash, Space, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad or Expedition Everest?

Definitely Expedition Everest!

Just read AP and DVC early registration will open tomorrow at noon EST!

source insidethemagic.net.... so take it for what it's worth

While I’m ready to get registered, I agree with others that this is likely inaccurate.

Total tangent alert!!

That’s awesome!! I love Bay Lake Tower, especially for Marathon weekend, but since you did a monorail resort this year, I say go for Beach Club.

I'm planning ahead for registration day. I want to do the 5K and the half marathon. My friend (and traveling companion) is interested in the 5K only. If I wind up doing both registration (which is extremely likely), which one should I do first - i.e. which event is likely to sell out first. I'm leaning towards mine because, frankly, the point of the trip for me is doing the half. The only reason we're talking about the 5K is because my friend would like to participate and her knees won't allow her to do the longer distances.

I'm planning ahead for registration day. I want to do the 5K and the half marathon. My friend (and traveling companion) is interested in the 5K only. If I wind up doing both registration (which is extremely likely), which one should I do first - i.e. which event is likely to sell out first. I'm leaning towards mine because, frankly, the point of the trip for me is doing the half. The only reason we're talking about the 5K is because my friend would like to participate and her knees won't allow her to do the longer distances.
Do both 5Ks first then the half last. You should be fine.

Total tangent alert!!

Add me to the list for Animal Kingdom Lodge! Great deluxe level resort that is usually cheaper than the others. But we feel that it is very romantic! A lot of places to slow down and enjoy what's around you. Great food, great pool and bar. Also we have stayed for marathon weekend and found no trouble whatsoever with transportation. Happy early anniversary!

Total tangent alert!!

Grand Floridian! That's where we honeymooned and 10th Anniversied (that's not a word but you get it)...and hopefully stay for our 20th!

Very romantic...and on the monorail!

Total tangent alert!!

I'll throw in a vote for the Boardwalk - we stayed there for our honeymoon. Just don't look at the clown slide. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter