I was on the struggle bus all day with the heat, but I managed to hang on and finish. Only 20 or so minutes ahead of the balloons according to here say around me. Thought I had more of a cushion but I am super happy to keep my perfect Dopey. I really didn’t think there was any chance of keeping it as I was walking to the corrals this morning. Congrats to everyone!

I finished! A little after the balloon ladies but I still did all 26.2 miles :). After getting swept last year, I needed this redemption. Thanks to all of you for the support and to @DopeyBadger for the coaching :)
Congrats marathon finisher. There’s no bad way to finish 26.2 miles. Awesome achievement!

So ... that happened. 6:27:20
This may be the most magical race on earth, but highways are stupid, so its a one and done for me. The only bright spots on the highways were a few characters and running into @jennamfeo and @Bree a few times.
Running through the parks was fun, though.

And ... I finished my Starbucks, so it's time to see if I can find shoes that fit and head over to magic kingdom for another latte.

I was on the struggle bus all day with the heat, but I managed to hang on and finish. Only 20 or so minutes ahead of the balloons according to here say around me. Thought I had more of a cushion but I am super happy to keep my perfect Dopey. I really didn’t think there was any chance of keeping it as I was walking to the corrals this morning. Congrats to everyone!
Congrats on that perfect dopey!

We had another fantastic marathon experience at Disney. We were crazy slow as always. It was HOT after WWoS. We way over hydrated yesterday and I think spent more time peeing than getting character pictures. Lol. No EE this year but did enjoy our beer in AK. Couldn't manage a beer in EPCOT. Heat and stomach just didn't like the idea. Marathon #9 for me and #13 for @Chris-Mo.

2019 Goofy Challenge Race Report

I ran Goofy this year without benefit of a taper, but with the plus of treating the races as supported training runs.

Half Marathon
I don’t like the half marathon course. There, I said it. I find it the least appealing of all the courses at Marathon Weekend. It doesn’t help that the course chewed me up and spit me out with a personal worst half time by a whopping 23 minutes last year. There was a score to settle here.

I went out targeting just over an 11:00mm pace and held it easily through the first half of the course. I consistently sped up the 2nd half of the course. Why? TMI, but I didn’t want to use an on course bathroom. Ended up cruising in with a 2:24:47 final, which is a personal best on this course by some margin. I’m always running a challenge at this weekend so the half gets the “take it easy to get ready for the full” treatment. Regardless, mission accomplished and demons exorcised.

Marathon
The morning started with a great meet up, which always helps calm the nerves. Ran into @garneska and DH again in the corral and ended up running some with him later around the TTC. Even though this was to be a supported training run at heart, I had a goal of sub-5:00. All 3 previous marathons here have finished in the 5s. I just wanted a time starting with a 4 to add to the mix.

Long story short, all went smoothly until WWoS, when the effort in combination with the heat coming into play started to drain me. I was also on the @Keels math struggle bus as I, for some reason was having a hard time calculating what I needed to run the rest of the way to get sub-5:00. I settled on using the mile markers instead of my watch, which was off by >1\4 mile by that point and all went smoothly until I hit the 26 mile marker. I was expecting to see ~4:50 on the clock, but it read 4:59 which put my goal in danger. I “sprinted” the last 1/4 mile only to see 4:52 on the finish line clock as I turned the corner! @#$&#! Finishing time was 4:48:41, well within my goal. Thrilled with that.

Bonus Marathon Coverage
A lot of you got to meet DD, who was running her 1st marathon today with a sprained ankle. She looked great on tracking through halfway and then her pace dropped by ~3:00mm at the 20 mile mat. Found out later that she stepped off the road and aggravated the ankle in a crowd on the pre AK out and back section. I went into Epcot to watch for her and sweat out her ability to stay ahead of the sweepers. While waiting, I think I saw @run.minnie.miles go by, but wasn’t sure and then definitely saw @jennamfeo. Spoiler alert: the Pom poms made it to the bitter end! DD finally came through with a pace group she’d hooked up with late to finish her first in 6:27:24. I am one proud dad right now!

Overall
It’s been one of the most fun Marathon Weekends yet, despite the Dopey FOMO. Now bring on DATW and Pandamonium 2019!

Last edited:
So ... that happened. 6:27:20
This may be the most magical race on earth, but highways are stupid, so its a one and done for me. The only bright spots on the highways were a few characters and running into @jennamfeo and @Bree a few times.
Running through the parks was fun, though.

And ... I finished my Starbucks, so it's time to see if I can find shoes that fit and head over to magic kingdom for another latte.

Congrats, marathoner!

Anyone planning on taking buses to MK should anticipate a long commute. We’ve been on the POR bus for 45 minutes.

I'm still catching up with this thread but I've got a new bus story!
I've had good luck in my 7 marathon weekends. During SWDS this year, I was on one of the 1st buses for the 10K. My wife took a later bus because she was in the last corral due to signiing up at the last minute in the "last chance" offer. My bus got lost and we arrived at the start almost at the same time!

This weekend for the half, I took a neither early or late bus. As I walked up to the stop (POR West Depot) the bus was already there...I ran to make sure it did not leave without me...the bus stank to high heaven and there was tons of smoke. I thought it was the brakes at first but it was in the front realized the smell was engine oil.

We get to the next stop (North depot) and the bus driver says "sorry, everybody off". Everybody knew why. He drives off. It was about 20-25 minutes before another bus arrived. Then we got stuck in the traffic Lee described.

All-in-all, from the time I left the room to the time we arrived at the start line drop-off was a little over an hour!

A broken-down bus was a new first for me!

Personal shoutout to whoever said, “Are you Lee?” to me outside of ESPN (I think). I was struggling a bit and it was awesome to hear a friendly voice.
It wasn’t me but good job finishing. And thanks for hosting the pre-race meetups this weekend. Please make sure you preserve that “DIS” sign in the three ring binder!

Last edited:

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter