The other consideration to whether a taper run in FL might be a good idea is a little heat acclimation training. Research shows it takes about 10 days to really start to acclimate, but some HAT helps more than nothing. Since I come from WI (where most of my last training runs are done in wind chills as low as -30F, not much sweating, blood is thicker, etc.), I spend the last couple of weeks of training doing Heat Acclimation training (WAY overdress in training to force significant sweating and trying to cause my body to adapt and thin out my blood, produce more sweat). Haven't really needed the HAT the last two years since it's been cold. But if it were warm, I use this as a substitute for "having" to do any FL runs prior to the races to help acclimation. So it's an additional consideration as to whether a run in FL for taper is a good idea.

Oh gosh I hadn't even thought about this so thank you. This'll be my first marathon, so I don't have a goal other than to finish but I'd like to feel as good as possible on the day. I'll bundle and sweat through the snow prior to arrival in FL. Thank you!

Once I arrive, the hay is in the barn. At that point I more focus on sleep, hydration, nutrition and recovery. I'd rather be a little stale than a little fatigued. If I can lay and elevate by feet, I lay. If I can't lay, I sit. We allow for more travel time and take boats when available, take more Ubers and Lyft, etc. Just packet pickup and the expo on Friday or Saturday is good for a few miles on the feet.

Oh gosh I hadn't even thought about this so thank you. This'll be my first marathon, so I don't have a goal other than to finish but I'd like to feel as good as possible on the day. I'll bundle and sweat through the snow prior to arrival in FL. Thank you!

Another thing to keep in mind, it takes longer than most think to lose fitness. So if you end up taking several days off prior to your first marathon, don't sweat it. Jack Daniels (famed running coach) has in his book (The Running Formula) a chart that shows the % of current VO2max that is lost over time from not training (or only doing non-running leg aerobic exercise). I've converted that chart to a graph:

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 1.36.39 PM.png

The key is that you can see from 0-5 days off from running has no negative effect on VO2max (albeit one measure of running ability/performance). But the gist of it is, if it comes to race week and you have to take some extra days off because of your Disney vacation, then you'll be fine. Enjoy the moment!

So, I see the posts for warm clothes and mylar blankets. I'm coming out of Syracuse NY, my normal winter run temps are between 10° and 30°. I'm questioning whether it's going to be "cold" or just cool for a northerner?
Oh no...I thought that I'd be fine last year coming from central MA. Uh, I was SO wrong. The main issue is waiting for so long in the cold, not the actual running part. Don't be like Simba's Girl and take the cold seriously.

Question for everyone who does park days before the races - do you still do taper runs? I'm worried that a couple of morning 5ks plus full days in the park will be too much, but also worried that just walking around won't be enough.

My last run of my plan will be the morning of the day we fly out. The 2 days before the marathon are written in as "30 minute strolls" which I'm pretty sure I'm going to stroll more than 30 minutes in Disney so I've got that.

Hey everybody! So my IT band/left knee started hurting during my last long run (15 miles), I’ve been pushing on but today during my 6 miles I was only able to run 1.75, walk 2 miles, run walk the rest of the way. I have to run 16 this weekend but I don’t know how I’m going to do it. I need help, what can I do to strengthen my IT band while continuing my training? I’m training for the full.

Hey everybody! So my IT band/left knee started hurting during my last long run (15 miles), I’ve been pushing on but today during my 6 miles I was only able to run 1.75, walk 2 miles, run walk the rest of the way. I have to run 16 this weekend but I don’t know how I’m going to do it. I need help, what can I do to strengthen my IT band while continuing my training? I’m training for the full.

If you are not foam rolling, start immediately and do it everyday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter