Marathon Weekend 2018

Happy Sunday! We are almost done with another month. Marathon weekend starts in 247 days!

Sundays are for Disney so today's Disney related question,

I'm assuming most if not all have been to a Disney park at least once. So what keeps you going back?

What keeps us going back? Good question-I feel like there's less work in planning a Disney vacation than there would be in planning another vacation. I know what to expect at Disney. I want to go other places but it just seems too complicated with the girls in tow. You can really have any kind of vacation you want at Disney all the way from a commando type experience to a real relaxing resort centered experience. It really is a one-stop-shop.

Sundays are for Disney answer:

We were in that unique portion of middle-class America where a trip to Disney World was the ideal when I was a kid. My family was fortunate to be able to go twice before my brother, sister and I were too cool for WDW (we were so, so cool).

Anyway, it dropped off the radar for a long time and I had never even considered going back until my nephew was born. Going to WDW on his first trip was the primary reason i signed up for the 2012 Marathon Weekend Half. When I was there that weekend I fell in love with Marathon Weekend, running and back in love with WDW.

I'm a kid at heart and always will be; I love forming a trip over Marathon Weekend and with all of my nieces and nephews being 8 and younger it's great to experience the parks with them. I reckon they'll be too cool soon enough, both for me and WDW, but WDW offers so many things for people of all ages that I'm sure I'll still look forward to Marathon Weekend every year.

It's hard to quantify exactly what it is about WDW that stirs the feelings that keep me coming back, but there's a unique mix of nostalgia and optimism for the future that seem to be personified in the parks in my experience. Hopefully (maybe?) that makes a little bit of sense.

Happy Sunday! We are almost done with another month. Marathon weekend starts in 247 days!

I'm assuming most if not all have been to a Disney park at least once. So what keeps you going back?

It's the races. I like Disney, but not enough to keep coming back for the parks. Marathon Weekend is just so much damn fun, however, I can't stay away. I had only planned to do my first marathon there. One and done. Then I had to try Goofy and run with my son and daughter. Just one more. Skipped a year, but the anniversary of the marathon sucked me back in. Naturally I'll say 2018 will be my last.

We were in that unique portion of middle-class America where a trip to Disney World was the ideal when I was a kid. My family was fortunate to be able to go twice before my brother, sister and I were too cool for WDW (we were so, so cool).

I reckon they'll be too cool soon enough, both for me and WDW, but WDW offers so many things for people of all ages that I'm sure I'll still look forward to Marathon Weekend every year.

Maybe your nieces/nephews won't be too cool for WDW? My kids never got to that point. Oldest will graduate HS in 2018.

Really it's a combination of the runs and Disney magic that keeps me coming back. Without the runs we might still go some but not with the same frequency. That said I do love the parks and the escape from reality they provide.

Yes, the running! I just love these races - the organization, the swag, the resorts, the transportation, the energy and festivity, etc! And the escape from reality is huge for everyone in our family (well, maybe not my husband - he might just prefer reality!)

What keeps us going back? Good question-I feel like there's less work in planning a Disney vacation than there would be in planning another vacation. I know what to expect at Disney. I want to go other places but it just seems too complicated with the girls in tow. You can really have any kind of vacation you want at Disney all the way from a commando type experience to a real relaxing resort centered experience. It really is a one-stop-shop.

This is so true about how much less work Disney requires (at least for those of us here!) We really love all different kinds of trips - beach, city, adventure, Europe, ski, etc. In addition to Disney, our primary vacations this year are Europe and the New England coast. I really do enjoy planning these trips and for me, all of the work - both before and during - is exhausting but 100% worth it, even with three kids. On the other hand, Disney is really easy! Magical express, luggage delivery, clean resorts, fastpass, fun pools, transportation to the parks, dining reservations, familiarity, etc. Whenever we hit a bump in our non-Disney travels, someone inevitably laments the lack of magical express and fastpass!

I thought we were going to be done with Disney for a while after the 2017 Marathon Weekend. But between our kids' enthusiasm, the runDisney experience, the escape from reality and the total and complete ease of a a Disney trip, we'll likely keep returning at least once a year. :)

How do you edit your Proof-of-Time besides updating it in Active.com?!?!?!? The reason I ask is because I've edited my time 5 times and after each submission it says it was successful, but when I enter my registration to check it, it still has the OLD race data. I simply cannot update it via PieceOfCrActive.com

How do you edit your Proof-of-Time besides updating it in Active.com?!?!?!? The reason I ask is because I've edited my time 5 times and after each submission it says it was successful, but when I enter my registration to check it, it still has the OLD race data. I simply cannot update it via PieceOfCrActive.com
I believe that's the only way now. Maybe email active about it? They'd probably be able to help there.

Haven't done a runDisney race yet so my current favorite medal is the 2012 Marine Corps Marathon. DC is my favorite city, the globe spins, plus I love how the medal is the Marine Corps logo. It was a very emotional race with all the Marines lined up along the course and then having a Marine place the medal over my neck after I finished is a great memory!
dc11.jpg

My first runDisney medal will come at the Wine & Dine 10K this year, but I'm most looking forward to the 6 I'm going to get after I complete Dopey 2018!!!!

"Always Earned, Never Given." ooo-rah

It usually takes me 2-3 times before I see the edits. Give it a few mins and check in a private browser? It could be your cache.

I believe that's the only way now. Maybe email active about it? They'd probably be able to help there.
I did email them.

Can someone who has recently updated their own POT in active.com, check to make sure your time is actually entered correctly now? I mean, check to see if it actually updated to the new values. Thanks.

It usually takes me 2-3 times before I see the edits. Give it a few mins and check in a private browser? It could be your cache.
GOod idea, but that's not it. I've done it 6 times now, and I've checked in other browsers (Firefox, Chrome and IE). Even in the first browser this would not be a cache issue since it is retrieving it from the database for each request. It is simply not getting updated in the database. Thx

edit: 7 times now in different browsers.

It's hard to quantify exactly what it is about WDW that stirs the feelings that keep me coming back, but there's a unique mix of nostalgia and optimism for the future that seem to be personified in the parks in my experience. Hopefully (maybe?) that makes a little bit of sense.

I know exactly what you mean, and it's the same for me.

My first three trips were all the giant kind of trips that included aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. Those three trips were pretty spread out: when I was in elementary school, the summer after 9th grade, and then a year after I had graduated high school. My love for the parks has always been there but it wasn't until my mom and I decided to do a last minute, quick trip down in 2013 to see New Fantasyland after it opened. Since that trip, I've gone once a year. There's just something about the way that being down there makes me feel that I can't quite find anywhere else. I also think that it's partly because it's "mine". My husband isn't a Disney person (although he went with me for the Marathon in 2015 and has agreed to go with me for 2018 as well) so all of my other trips have been with my mom, and it's been a great thing for us to bond over.

I even texted my husband before I left there on Wednesday and asked if we could just move down that way. I think my words were "I'm just so genuinely happy here." and I guess that's the best way to sum it up.

I did email them.

Can someone who has recently updated their own POT in active.com, check to make sure your time is actually entered correctly now? I mean, check to see if it actually updated to the new values. Thanks.

I updated my PoT for both the DLH and Dopey 2018 in late March with a new half marathon time and information. I just went in and confirmed that the edits I made were saved and accurate in my registrations. Good luck sorting yours out!

I updated my PoT for both the DLH and Dopey 2018 in late March with a new half marathon time and information. I just went in and confirmed that the edits I made were saved and accurate in my registrations. Good luck sorting yours out!

thx. apparently it takes a few hours for them to update it. i suspect it is a cache issue, but on the server side - not my computer. it probably caches a query and even after updates it hasn't cleared out the query until hours later. poor programming.

Last edited:

Convenience and cost! I'm semi-local, living about 90 miles away from WDW: close enough to go for a day, far enough that it feels like a true getaway. With a lot more traffic and higher costs now compared to when I moved here in the early 90s, we don't go as often as we once did, but it still winds up being less expensive than almost any other vacation. It's a nice place to escape the daily grind and feel a little pampered!

My parents spent part of their honeymoon at WDW, and when I was very young, we lived close to Disneyland Paris, so I spent my early years frequenting that park.

As an adult, and moving to Canada, I've been able to visit DLR and WDW numerous times now that student life is over. So Disney has always been in my life in some shape or form.

I think nostalgia keeps me coming back, but as someone who also suffers with bad anxiety, WDW offers a consistently happy place. While trips can be frustrating, I think everyone ventures to WDW with the purpose of being happy. It's a nice break from reality and welcoming of all people.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, looks like I'm a little late to the party but I just signed up for the 2018 Marathon. This will be 10 years since my first marathon which was at Disney so it seems a fitting way to celebrate. I also ran Disney in 2012 but have not been back since so I have a lot to catch up on. Look forward to suffering through training with you all.

I haven't been a spectator for Marathon weekend before but will be supporting partner & sister-in-law when they do the half. Do I need a special pass to cheer from MK? Is it at all feasible to get from MK to the finish line near Epcot?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter