Marathon Weekend 2018

For me, I think it is a tie between the 2012 half marathon medal and the 2017 marathon medal. Both were my first races at those distances.

Speaking of medals, super jealous of those dark side medals from this weekend!

After several years of abandoning our children during Disney race weekends, we will be bringing our daughters (11 & 8 at the time) and my mom in January. DW and I are doing the Dopey, but EVERYONE is doing the 5k!

Questions, I got 'em!
1. My mom is in her 70's and will be the limiting factor in the 5k. If we are some of the last to cross the finish line, that won't affect our Dopey challenge, will it? I really want to do the 5k as a group, but if Dopey is in jeopardy... "so long, Mom! Don't lose our kids!"

2. What are some fun, non-taxing things to do the rest of the day? We will have annual passes, but I don't want to overdo it. I'm thinking about lunch, and maybe 2-3 FastPass rides in the parks after 5K, 10K and Half. After that, spend the rest of the afternoon in the pool or hanging around the resort. We'll be at OKW, so a trip down the Sassagoula sounds just about perfect. (Grab something quick at Erin McKenna, and get right back on that boat.)

3. DD's are doing the 5K -- is it worth doing Kids Races, as well? They're not huge runners, but they are excited about doing the 5K (especially since the 11 year old is Pluto-crazy). Would it be a "step down" after the 5K?

4. If we DO do Kids races, would you recommend the 8-year old do a Dash, or do the 1-mile with her sister? Assume for the purposes of this question that both sisters love each other, and don't constantly drive each other crazy.

Thanks!
Doug

I love multiple races in one weekend - did Dopey this year and Glass Slipper Challenge last year and even if not part of an official challenge, we often have some mix of longer races, kids' races and 5Ks in a given weekend.

One year, our youngest son did both the 5K and the kids' races. It was fine, and he loves to run, but I decided that was too much. Not too much running, just too much transportation, waiting around for so long for the race to start, having to figure out timing on lunch and FP. So now it's either kids' races or 5K, but not both.

If you do decide to do both, I'd put both kids in the 1-mile. Our youngest has kids race experience at DL, at Epcot and at WWOS. The WWOS situation was kind of chaotic with all the kids out in the field and trying to figure out the "course" for the races. Would be easier for your family to just have one start and finish for both kids, rather than tracking kids in separate events.

As for the "step down," our son doesn't usually think of it that way. When he runs the kids' races, he likes the fact that it's not so early, the wait is shorter, and sometimes they do stuff during the wait to entertain the kids. Although it's really too bad the kids' races aren't at Epcot anymore - that was the best.

Though I love both of my marathon medals, my favorite is probably my 2016 Dumbo Double Dare medal. I am glad I earned it before RunDisney dropped Dumbo from the theming as he has always been one of my favorites.

Attachments

• IMG_3471.JPG
    IMG_3471.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 18
2013 20th Anniversary Marathon medal. Another first time marathoner that day and the medal is perfect. I'm a little worried that my expectations for the 25th anniversary is too high because of that medal.

2013 full was also my first full as well as my first real race aside from a 1 mile fun run when I was about 11 years old,so that medal is special aside from being a very nice.The 25th anniversary medal better be real nice and unique.

So I'm going to answer this question for both of us...

My favorite RunDisney is the BB8 10K because well - I love BB8!

EuT6aks.jpg

My husband's favorite actually shocked me when I asked him...it was his 2016 Princess and Glass Slipper Medals...when I asked why...he said it was because they put better effort into them with the sparkles, gemstones and coloring whereas the others ones he likes - he wishes they had more color.

eDcQPyv.jpg

We also have another favorite just because how cool it is. We have a local 5K/10K race over Memorial Day that has some of the best medals. Last year they started a 5 year series for each branch of the military. Last year was the Army and the medal was an Apache helicopter.

Q7H4dtn.jpg

Yep. The nod goes to the 20th anniversary marathon medal for me. Also my first marathon so even more special.

2013 20th Anniversary Marathon medal. Another first time marathoner that day and the medal is perfect. I'm a little worried that my expectations for the 25th anniversary is too high because of that medal.

2013 full was also my first full as well as my first real race aside from a 1 mile fun run when I was about 11 years old,so that medal is special aside from being a very nice.The 25th anniversary medal better be real nice and unique.

Add me to this club! I think the 2013 20th anniversary medal aka my first marathon will always be my favorite.

I just realized I have a tenth anniversary spinner medal (2015 Dopey),a 15th anniversary spinner medal (2017 Miami half marathon),a 20th anniversary spinner medal (2013 Disney full) and hopefully the Disney full 2018 25th anniversary medal will also be a spinner.

Hi everyone, I thought I'd jump in here as I'm excitedly planning to run my first marathon in January :). Does anyone here have experience with staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for Marathon weekend? I meant to book a monorail resort for the convenience, but we are looking for a 1 bedroom villa and they are all booked up. Now we are looking at a split stay - AKV to relax over the weekend and BLT afterward for convenience to the parks.

Hi everyone, I thought I'd jump in here as I'm excitedly planning to run my first marathon in January :). Does anyone here have experience with staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for Marathon weekend? I meant to book a monorail resort for the convenience, but we are looking for a 1 bedroom villa and they are all booked up. Now we are looking at a split stay - AKV to relax over the weekend and BLT afterward for convenience to the parks.

We have stayed at AKV for race weekend and it was just fine. The only negative, IMO, is that there really isn't anywhere to run at AKV if you go early enough that you need to do training runs or shakeout runs.

We have stayed at AKV for race weekend and it was just fine. The only negative, IMO, is that there really isn't anywhere to run at AKV if you go early enough that you need to do training runs or shakeout runs.

Thanks, I think I can plan around that, but it's a good thing to keep in mind!

We loved AKV for Princess in 2016! It was quiet and peaceful. Sanaa is also an awesome post half lunch!

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that AKL food is a key factor :). I love Boma and Jiko and am excited to try Sanaa!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter