Marathon Weekend 2018

Marathon Weekend 2018 Goals:
While I have done one other challenge weekend, this is my first Goofy. Fortunately for me this isn't my first full but it is my husband's.
1. Arrive to marathon weekend well trained and healthy. Sounds like a given as other people have said but after recovering from ACL reconstruction 4 years ago, I just haven't comfortably gotten back to running. I have done the distances but it just isn't what it used to be. We are doing a lot of cross training right now and I am hoping to be in good form when our training plan starts up in April.
2. We talked it over last night and we plan on running the half, not many stops for characters unless we come across a "must have" opportunity. In 2016 that was Stitch and Oogie Boogie (Nightmare before Christmas is my husband's favorite).
3. Take pictures, run a bit, have fun and survive the full, maybe with a stop at EE. My husband says he is one and done with the marathon distance so it may as well be enjoyable.
These are some vague but attainable goals. I cannot stress about time or pacing right now but I know as we get further along in the year I will create those goals.

Has anyone on here done the Wineglass half in Corning, NY? A division of my husband's company is a sponsor and we are thinking of heading up there for it. A last ditch proof of time opportunity on what is supposedly a fast course.

OH thank goodness. This will be my first time at a Value, I sound like such a snob, but I'm really worried I'm not going to like it.

You don't sound snobby to me! Everyone has different likes. I used to stay at values but as I've gotten older, they've lost their appeal to me. I rather allocate my vacation dollars in other ways and its one of the main reasons we bought into DVC 5 years ago (and added on twice since then)

I'm leaving today to go to Disney with my mother. She already arrived yesterday and called me to complain about her room at SSR as it wasn't the Ritz or Grand...now that's snobby ;)
I had to talk her down from her ledge about the décor and the lack of room clock as you know, most people have cell phones they use as clocks nowadays. I can't get her to keep her cell phone on!

Marathon Weekend Goals

1) My wife and I are bringing the family to a runDisney weekend for the first time. So Goal #1 is to complete the 5K as a family.

2) Complete my first Dopey!

3) No time goals, but I do want to ride Everest. We were too fast this year, and got to AK before the rides opened. We'll take it easier next year.

2018 Marathon Weekend Goals:

1) Spectate the 10K from Boardwalk
2) Hand Out Beer During 10K from a SW Florida Craft Brewery to whatever Disboard Runners Over 21 Like One
3) Spectate Marathon with watching my husband at MK or TTC, AK (hopefully) and Boardwalk Area.
4) Figure Out Creative Signs for Said Races
5) Enjoy!
6) Avoid Work Emails for Once.

Looks like I picked the right year to run my first 10K at Disney! :worship:

OH thank goodness. This will be my first time at a Value, I sound like such a snob, but I'm really worried I'm not going to like it.

I've stayed at Pop for the last several years of Marathon weekend trips and have grown fond of it--this from a "you won't catch me there, ever" person. I get top floor facing the lake and it works out well. I get relative peace and quiet and nice views. The lack of a coffee pot is a little annoying--but the coffee is swill, anyway, so I don't think I'm missing much.

I'm a regular POP stayer because we visit 5+ times a year and we couldn't afford to do that (on property) if we didn't do values. We've been lucky enough to have our race weekends go pretty flawlessly as far as the stay and transportation. Everything is marked clearly, and the cast members are super supportive.

I can understand your anxiety since it's going to be your first value stay, but as long as you go in with your eyes open, you'll be just fine. It's definitely a "get what you pay for" resort, but it's enjoyable for what it is. :)

What time do the rides usually fire up during the marathon? I assume around 8-9am. Any 'rule of thumb' there?

I'm pretty sure my 4:45-5hr marathon won't be an issue for them being open!

Brian

What time do the rides usually fire up during the marathon? I assume around 8-9am. Any 'rule of thumb' there?

Brian
When the parks open so your first chance a a ride would be Everest in AK. I hit AK at about 9:05 and got on right away through single rider. The next chance would have is in DHS for Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller coaster. And then Epcot after that with probably your best option test track. Most just do Everest since it's right on the course.

As for me and my 2018 Dopey goals.....

26.2: Repeat this year's fun (all the photos, beer in AK, ride ToT and RnRC, beer at Germany) and add in EE, McDonald's fries, and another drink stop

I think I may have to work a mid-run beer into my training plan to see how the stomach reacts. I do enjoy a beer post-run of course, but have never attempted it mid-run! The rides, the beer, the fries...this all sounds very good!

Brian

Unless Disney has a change in heart/policy rides will not open until the parks open. That has meant 9 AM for every race weekend I've been involved in.

Depending on your corral, EE may not be open. Starting out of corral G the last two years I was running through AK at about 8:15ish and I wasn't lighting the world on fire with my pace. I'd estimate that about half of the field passes through AK such that they would have to wait 30+ minutes for EE to open. Definitely doable, but it may take some planning depending on your corral, first half pace and willingness to wait.

I think I may have to work a mid-run beer into my training plan to see how the stomach reacts. I do enjoy a beer post-run of course, but have never attempted it mid-run! The rides, the beer, the fries...this all sounds very good!

I like this training plan :rotfl:

:ssst: I think we're going to have to finagle our dates for the DATW :drinking1 event on Monday the 9th!

Pretty psyched about the free beer for the 10K though! LMBO

In all seriousness...We have GOT to figure out where to stay. 5 of us, want deluxe, also there celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary as well. Honeymooned at WL-I think DH would like to stay there but I'd prefer something more convenient. Has anyone stayed in a "deluxe" room at BWI or YC/BC?

The Monday DATW sounds like a great way to celebrate! Also, can I ask a POT question? For the half marathons, I've been using my 10k PR time. For the marathon, can I still use the 10k or does it need to be a half marathon? I wasn't really planning on doing a half for time this year but may need to re-think that plan. RnR DC has a big hill and I may want to stop for photos during the Star Wars Dark Side half. Or how about a 10 miler? I have an April 10 miler that could be a good option for a PR (flat-ish and it's not too hot in April).

Where are your favorite places to stay for marathon weekend? We have the option of staying a bit longer or also doing the Castaway Challenge and staying at a value resort, or staying a bit shorter and not doing the Castaway Challenge and staying in a bit nicer of a resort. We don't get to WDW often, have never done a DCL, but I owe DBF a "sunny vacation" and although coming from Canada, Florida seems nice and warm, it is still January and isn't as warm as the Bahamas and Castaway Cay. I'm trying to get the most bang for our buck and get the best overall experience. Leaning towards Pop, but getting a king bed, or at min, a queen is a big deal for us. The AoA LM rooms seem a little far, especially post half/full..

The Monday DATW sounds like a great way to celebrate! Also, can I ask a POT question? For the half marathons, I've been using my 10k PR time. For the marathon, can I still use the 10k or does it need to be a half marathon? I wasn't really planning on doing a half for time this year but may need to re-think that plan. RnR DC has a big hill and I may want to stop for photos during the Star Wars Dark Side half. Or how about a 10 miler? I have an April 10 miler that could be a good option for a PR (flat-ish and it's not too hot in April).
For the full it needs a 10 miler or longer

From the website:

Full Marathon – 10 Mile, Half Marathon or Marathon

Half Marathon – 10K, 12K, 15K, 10-Mile, Half Marathon or Marathon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter