Marathon Weekend 2018

I can report a decent expo experience but I’m not surprised that I seem to be in the minority. We arrived by Uber around 11:15 and got in the bib line. A couple minutes later they announced they were making an official merch line so we jumped ship to that and ended up very close to the front. The merch area was very crowded but we got everything we want and the line to check out was long though moved well. I was disappointed in the number of people being rude to volunteers and CMs in the merch area but unfortunately not surprised! :(

The 5k today was cold but great! Got warmed up fairly quick once we got going. We even stopped for Horace which was a nice treat because we thought the lines would be too long across the board!

Now it’s off to Epcot, and time to switch over to AKV later!

Advice wanted:

We are now scheduled to land in Orlando at 5:30 pm on Friday. This makes getting to the Expo by 7 dicey and we are running the half on Saturday morning. I've been on hold on the phone with runDisney for more than an hour. I'm now thinking about the possibility that I'll never be able to get thru on the phone. Assuming I can't get hold of them, what would a plan be if I get to Orlando and can't make the Expo before it closes?

Bring your waiver and photo ID and get to the race early on Saturday. They should be distributing bibs only at the runner relations tent. You’ll have to visit the expo on saturday after the race to get your shirt.

Bring your waiver and photo ID and get to the race early on Saturday. They should be distributing bibs only at the runner relations tent. You’ll have to visit the expo on saturday after the race to get your shirt.

Thanks... that will be my fallback plan. Given how people are saying the expo is going, I'm nervous about that being organized correctly and hopefully I can get them before then.

Hey it’s DD28 here. I’m a huge Starbucks nerd, I work there, and I collect the you are here mugs. Is there anyone who would be willing to pick them up for me from AK, HS and MK? I could pay you in cash at the hhh meet up at beach club on Friday or Venmo you the money. Or I’d be willing to meeting you anywhere outside the parks.

Headed to Animal Kingdom now. I will do my best for you.

It’s pretty rude to ask this of strangers. Mugs are delicate and difficult to cart around, and you’re asking for three from different locations. A close friend asked me to bring two Starbucks mugs back from a trip recently and it was a huge hassle. I did it because I care about her, but I really wish she hadn’t asked. Save yourself and others the trouble, and buy them on eBay.
It has nothing to do with race merchandise and she’s using a popular thread to ask if anyone is willing to martyr themselves oh her behalf so she can save a few bucks.
I'm with @croach - if people don't want to go through the apparently Herculean task of buying a mug, most I think just won't respond to the request rather than be rude themselves and try to embarrass someone. We get it, you don't like the idea.

Question to @Keels or anyone else who drives to the race start...the event guide says Epcot Center Drive is closed from 11PM the nights before the half/full to 9:30AM, but the Epcot auto plaza is open until 5AM. If the road to the plaza is closed, how do you actually drive to the parking lot? Or is it not really closed at that hour, they just don't want regular guests driving on the road?

I stayed at SSR for the 2016 Wine and Dine. The race buses line up at the central pickup next to the main pool beginning at 3, and each bus leaves when full. I stayed at Congress Park, so it was an easy walk. Even if you're in the Grandstand, which is the farthest, you can walk past the LBV pro shop and through the main building. So unless you're staying in a Tree House Villa, no walk should be longer than 10 minutes. It's a good way to start getting loose and clear the cobwebs. Otherwise, the internal buses come pretty often, and at 3-4 am the only riders will be runners.

Thanks!

Hello fellow Disney Runners! I'll be staying at Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek Saturday night for the marathon, anyone have any pointers in regard to traveling from the hotel to the corrals? We're open to walking if that's a good choice :)
Thanks ahead of time!

Hearing about the madness of the expo, I didn't really notice any rudeness of people. We waited in a bit of a line for Dopey bibs but it moved quickly and they had people directing. Pickup was easy enough, then we headed downstairs to get our pre-purchased stuff. Most everyone just ducked under the little rope line separating that area from the runDisney merch rather than going outside again, maybe that's what made it easier. From arriving to leaving we were at WWOS for probably two hours.

@SunDial what was your driving route from the Fort to Epcot? did you go the back way and turn left out of the fort or go by MK and turn right out of the fort?

Took the route that you were talking about going left and then turning to Epcot but that will be closed tomorrow. Tomorrow I think I will take the original route you were talking about turning right and then going out and around the poly and coming in from that direction.

If you would like to ride over with me let me know and I'll come pick you up.

Thanks... that will be my fallback plan. Given how people are saying the expo is going, I'm nervous about that being organized correctly and hopefully I can get them before then.

I walked by the runDisney Relations tent this morning (about 4:30 ish)...believe it or not it looked pretty well organized. There was a decent sized line - maybe 50 +/- but there were 3 or 4 people staffing computer stations.

Nobody looked irate, it wasn't chaotic in the least...maybe that's why I noticed! So unusual for runDisney!

Hello fellow Disney Runners! I'll be staying at Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek Saturday night for the marathon, anyone have any pointers in regard to traveling from the hotel to the corrals? We're open to walking if that's a good choice :)
Thanks ahead of time!

I don’t know if they offer transportation but walking isn’t an option. Disney really frowns on that. People used to walk from Port Orleans I think and Disney shut that down with threats of DQ’s.

Advice wanted:

We are now scheduled to land in Orlando at 5:30 pm on Friday. This makes getting to the Expo by 7 dicey and we are running the half on Saturday morning. I've been on hold on the phone with runDisney for more than an hour. I'm now thinking about the possibility that I'll never be able to get thru on the phone. Assuming I can't get hold of them, what would a plan be if I get to Orlando and can't make the Expo before it closes?

Can you take Uber directly to the Expo? I would think as long as you are there before closing time you can get your bibs.

Thanks ahead of time!

Walkings not allowed from any hotel I’m pretty sure. If you don’t have a car and there’s nothing from the hotel I would say take a Taxi or Uber

Question to @Keels or anyone else who drives to the race start...the event guide says Epcot Center Drive is closed from 11PM the nights before the half/full to 9:30AM, but the Epcot auto plaza is open until 5AM. If the road to the plaza is closed, how do you actually drive to the parking lot? Or is it not really closed at that hour, they just don't want regular guests driving on the road?

I asked a similar question on the driving from Bonnet Creek thread but didn't get an answer. I interpret the map to mean that you can enter the parking lot through the auto plaza road only by taking the ramp from World Drive going north. That doesn't require using Epcot Center Drive.

Does anybody know if there are pace groups for the full marathon on Sunday? Looking for a 3:35 pace group.

As for hilton bonnet creek area, you should check with the front desk they have had a shuttle in the past running for the half and the full marathon. Otherwise, drive or taxi/uber.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter