Marathon Weekend 2018

Ok, I'm also beginning to worry about getting swept and I'm hoping people can let me know if this is a reasonable concern or not. My average pace for the 18 miler this weekend was 15:44. That's cutting it close to the 16 minutes and it doesn't include any stops. I'm assuming that I'll have at least 1 bathroom stop during the marathon. And I'm not sure how long the bathroom line will be. But I should also have some cushion from the balloon ladies since I have a 5:50 POT based on my half marathon PR. So if I stop for the bathroom around halfway (maybe in Animal Kingdom) and still have an average pace hovering around the 16 minutes per mile (though this is long, slow, easy run pace and not race pace but imagining worst case scenario), should I be ok given that I should hopefully not be in the last corral?

We try to plan ahead for bathroom breaks to save time. When I think I sort-of-might-need to go we start looking for a short bathroom line. If we see a long one, I’ll keep running to the next. Not a ground breaking idea but might help buy you a few minutes!

This past January there was quite a line for beer in Germany. People saw that we were part of the marathon and let us go ahead of them.

This was our experience as well. I felt badly cutting in line, but a man there said, "It's tradition!" It was quite nice.

I think it all depends on when you get there and which bar you choose to stop at. When we went last year, the outside bar had a line but there was only one person inside.

77 Disers
0 at All-Star Music
2 at All-Star Movies
3 at All-Star Sports
1 at Art of Animation
11 at Pop Century
6 at Riverside
1 at French Quarter
1 at Caribbean Beach
5 at Coronado Springs
2 at Ft. Wilderness
2 at Contemporary
11 at Beach/Yacht Club
0 at Grand Floridian
4 at Polynesian
3 at Bay Lake Tower
5 at Animal Kingdom Lodge
12 at Saratoga Springs
5 at Old Key West
5 at Boardwalk
1 at Wilderness Lodge
1 at Shades of Green
0 at Swan/Dolphin
4 at offsite resorts

@rteetz, you need to work on your list organizing. This one is neither in numerical order nor in alphabetical order nor sorted by type of resort. @DopeyBadger will be most disappointed.

I think it all depends on when you get there and which bar you choose to stop at. When we went last year, the outside bar had a line but there was only one person inside.

@rteetz, you need to work on your list organizing. This one is neither in numerical order nor in alphabetical order nor sorted by type of resort. @DopeyBadger will be most disappointed.
Well it is in order of resort levels. Value to moderate to deluxe to other.

Better? ;)

All Star Movies 2
All Star Music 0
All Star Sports 4
Art of Animation 1
Pop Century 12
Caribbean Beach 1
Coronado Springs 5
Ft. Wilderness 2
Port Orleans French Quarter 1
Port Orleans Riverside 6
Animal Kingdom Lodge 6
Bay Lake Tower 3
Beach Club/Yacht Club 11
Boardwalk 5
Contemporary 2
Grand Floridian 0
Old Key West 6
Polynesian 4
Saratoga Springs 12
Wilderness Lodge 1
Offsite 5
Shades of Green 1
Swan and Dolphin 0

Better? ;)

All Star Movies 2
All Star Music 0
All Star Sports 4
Art of Animation 1
Pop Century 12
Caribbean Beach 1
Coronado Springs 5
Ft. Wilderness 2
Port Orleans French Quarter 1
Port Orleans Riverside 6
Animal Kingdom Lodge 6
Bay Lake Tower 3
Beach Club/Yacht Club 11
Boardwalk 5
Contemporary 2
Grand Floridian 0
Old Key West 6
Polynesian 4
Saratoga Springs 12
Wilderness Lodge 1
Offsite 5
Shades of Green 1
Swan and Dolphin 0

Much better! Thank you! Ha ha...

You can put me down for the Grand Floridian. Although I love POR-decided it would be best to be near the Magic Kingdom for this trip. I am looking forward to seeing the gingerbread house that is always discussed. I hope it is still up after New Year’s for a few days.

I'm currently booked to stay off site - but now I'm second guessing myself! This will be my 4th RunDisney event, and I've always stayed on site until now.

For those of you who've stayed off site before, how has it been for the full marathon? The RD website warns of bad traffic and delays, but I'm not sure if I should take that seriously...

Corrals are assigned at some point between the Proof of Time (PoT) cutoff date and the release of waivers about two-three weeks before the race weekend. The only way to know what corral you have been assigned to is to check the bib number on your waiver when it's released. They'll release a chart of the bib numbers for each corral at the same time. If you want an estimate you can Google the corral charts from previous race weekends and look for where your PoT falls. A 1:47 half should put you in one of the earlier corrals. If you are doing Goofy/Dopey, they may move you back a corral or two versus just running one race, as well.

I would suggest that you have your wife and daughters run the 10k to see where they fall. If RunDisney keeps the corral structure they've used for past Marathon Weekends there should be somewhere around 16 corrals (A-P) and it may not take too much of a PoT to move them up in the ranks. Better to try and not move up than to not try and go in the last or near last corral by default, in my opinion...
For the marathon sign-up I entered a time of 4:30 but did not submit proof of time. Is it guaranteed I will be in the last corral? (Reason for not submitting proof of time was I had never run a race longer than a 5k until my half marathon last month, after the deadline) I had originally signed up with a time of 5:30 since PoT was not required, but then changed it to 4:30 figuring worst they would do is put me back in the 5:30 group.

Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like the cutoff for corral A was within corral E and for corral B within corral H. Follow-up:

1) @camaker, @FFigawi, @VAfamily1998 were in Corral E. What were your bib #s for last year? You can give me as little digits or PM me if desired.
2) @Keels, @Disney at Heart, @MissLiss279 were in Corral H. What were your bib #s for last year? You can give me as little digits or PM me if desired.
3) @mrsg00fy, @MommaoffherRocker, @swade95, @sammykster, @sjt22 - you were all in corrals for Dopey last year that will help determine more cutoffs. Can I hear your corral breakdown? You can PM if desired.

Thanks again everyone!

I'm currently booked to stay off site - but now I'm second guessing myself! This will be my 4th RunDisney event, and I've always stayed on site until now.

For those of you who've stayed off site before, how has it been for the full marathon? The RD website warns of bad traffic and delays, but I'm not sure if I should take that seriously...

I've stayed off-site for 2 of our marathon weekends and never had any trouble driving to the race start. We like to get there early, so that probably helps, but I think we left our condo last time around 3:15 or so and were parking at Epcot by 3:30. I suspect if you wait until 4:30 or something you run into problems, but it was smooth sailing for us.

I always stay offsite and drive - no traffic issues at all. I just leave my hotel within 15 minutes of when race buses start running -so if buses start at 3am, I'm out the door by 3:15. The later you wait, the more potential for traffic woes.

Thank you this is very helpful. Do you happen to know your POT (or estimate) from your 2017 Dopey registration? You and @MissLiss279 are separated by very few bibs so it would allow me to nail down a 5k/10k solo bib pace guess closely (just a guess though).

My POT was a half-marathon time of 2:13:22. I used the same one for 2018 Dopey, so I will probably be in or very near to the same corrals.

I stayed off site for the 2017 Marathon and had no problems getting to the Epcot parking lot that morning. I know I got there before 4 AM since I have a photo of me with a facemask on since it was so cold at that time walking to the bag check. I would say as long as you arrive early, you should be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter