Marathon Weekend 2018

I actually started a run/walk interval (3min/1min) this year hoping to cut down on injuries, but still got leg cramps. I'll probably start foam rolling and stretching on a daily basis (hopefully), and maybe even try to strengthen hamstrings and calves.

I used to do R/W/R and had major cramping issues. At the encouragement of my coach, I abandoned that method a few years ago and haven't had near the race-day issues with cramping. I won't say it's never crept back up, but it's certainly not as common and painful as before. Maybe my intervals were too long or too infrequent or something, but it just didn't work for me. I do know it's been a great method for many others.

Sunday question: I would love FoP but my sister is getting our tickets thru the Military Salute program and won't be getting them until right before our trip. So maybe rope drop it on Monday or Tuesday after the marathon? Idk, kinda wanted to sleep in those days after all the early mornings.

Some friends of mine just went to WDW with us 2 weeks ago and got their tickets through Military Salute as well and were able to score last minute FP for NRJ. We did have to do FOP standby, but point is maybe you can get lucky and still get one.

I'm guessing that to runDisney, the 25th anniversary of Marathon Weekend (and thus the 25th anniversary of runDisney, even if it wasn't called that at first) is a bigger deal than the 5th anniversary of Dopey/the 10K (and I guess the 25th 5K). I think it's sort of neat that the anniversary is commemorated on all of the medals, it sort of unifies them in a way.
I agree. And it's definitely the 25th of the 5k but I feel like Minnie deserves better.

Sunday question: Off-site for us, so the FastPass I most want, FOP, is unlikely. AK day will just be me and DH, so maybe we'll get lucky and score a last minute FP- if not, we will just to have to entertain each other in the stand-by line! :crazy:

This is one of the most crowded weeks during the fall,I have no clue if its a school break from the schools up north,I know Biketoberfest is going on in Daytona,Food and Wine always brings in people from across the state,it seemed like half of Miami was at Epcot yesterday.I spent time at Sea World,went to see Toad the wet sprocket at Epcot and then went to Celebration for Oktoberfest and each of them were jam packed.I spoke to someone at Epcot yesterday who needed another day in a hotel,they said they needed to go to Ocala cause Orlando was full.

For many school districts in Colorado, they have a 4 day weekend that some call "fall break". It was this past weekend, and I know a half dozen families that were in Orlando.

For many school districts in Colorado, they have a 4 day weekend that some call "fall break". It was this past weekend, and I know a half dozen families that were in Orlando.
Some colleges had fall break as well. I did.

Sunday question: I would love FoP but my sister is getting our tickets thru the Armed Forces Salute program and won't be getting them until right before our trip. So maybe rope drop it on Monday or Tuesday after the marathon? Idk, kinda wanted to sleep in those days after all the early mornings.

Your sister probably knows this, but you can order them from Shades of Green in advance and they email you the ticket numbers. You have to provide proof to them with a copy of military ID, but it only took a couple of days from the time we ordered them until I had them linked in MDE. They come pre-activated from Shades of Green and you can just go straight to the turnstiles when you go to the parks the first time.

Sunday question: Like everyone, I would like to get a Flight of Passage fast pass but I am not optimistic. I am only doing one day of parks while I am done there for Dopey but I am willing to wait in line since it will just be me.

@rteetz - sweet shoutout on the shenanigans podcast on Friday! *assuming that was you...*

Sunday question: Like everyone, I would like to get a Flight of Passage fast pass but I am not optimistic. I am only doing one day of parks while I am done there for Dopey but I am willing to wait in line since it will just be me.

@rteetz - sweet shoutout on the shenanigans podcast on Friday! *assuming that was you...*
Thanks! Only downside was that 10K was short and not a full 10K due to cones being placed wrong.

Your sister probably knows this, but you can order them from Shades of Green in advance and they email you the ticket numbers. You have to provide proof to them with a copy of military ID, but it only took a couple of days from the time we ordered them until I had them linked in MDE. They come pre-activated from Shades of Green and you can just go straight to the turnstiles when you go to the parks the first time.
I will tell her, thanks! They usually buy them at their base ticket office, then have to activate when we all get there. But the waiting part is actually because of $$, lol. Or lack of. They just got back from a WDW trip with their 2 youngest and are tapped out at the moment moneywise. They don't even have their plane tickets yet for January, partly because of money and partly because they haven't decided 100% if they are bringing their 2 youngest with them. Our original plan was adults only, her, her DH, me and DD27 and we rented points for a studio at Saratoga Springs. But then she decided to homeschool both of them this year so they may bring them, then they will have to stay somewhere else (they do have a timeshare they can probably stay at) and I will have to pay her back for their share of the studio. I am torn on what I want her to do, while it would be great to have the studio for just DD27 and I, her kids are definitely a handful hand will make it a pretty stressful trip. Plus we are all 4 running the marathon so she will have to have some friends in the area keep the kids overnight Saturday night and she and DH will spend the night with us.

Way more info than you wanted probably, lol. I guess I needed to vent about it. :)

I will tell her, thanks! They usually buy them at their base ticket office, then have to activate when we all get there. But the waiting part is actually because of $$, lol. Or lack of. They just got back from a WDW trip with their 2 youngest and are tapped out at the moment moneywise. They don't even have their plane tickets yet for January, partly because of money and partly because they haven't decided 100% if they are bringing their 2 youngest with them. Our original plan was adults only, her, her DH, me and DD27 and we rented points for a studio at Saratoga Springs. But then she decided to homeschool both of them this year so they may bring them, then they will have to stay somewhere else (they do have a timeshare they can probably stay at) and I will have to pay her back for their share of the studio. I am torn on what I want her to do, while it would be great to have the studio for just DD27 and I, her kids are definitely a handful hand will make it a pretty stressful trip. Plus we are all 4 running the marathon so she will have to have some friends in the area keep the kids overnight Saturday night and she and DH will spend the night with us.

Way more info than you wanted probably, lol. I guess I needed to vent about it. :)

I totally get it. I'm such a planner it would totally stress me out with things up in the air like that!

Anyway, even if you wait past the FP+ window opening, it is nice to order them already activated from Shades of Green. I know I always hated that step when we would first arrive because I just wanted to get into the park. I'm impatient that way.

Colors in this year’s catalogue:

Black
White
Stone Gray
Navy Blue
Royal Blue
Scarlet Red
Maroon
Dark Green
During the past 6 years they've used these colors a lot for the Full, Half and Goofy Shirts:
Black
Navy Blue
Royal Blue
Scarlet Red

These have been used a little bit
Stone Gray Disneyland Half in 2015?
Dark Green Dopey not sure what year
White Inaugural Dopey shirt

I don't have any Disney shirts of this color:
Maroon (although the 5th anniversary Princess was Purple)

They have also used Orange Twice and Yellow a couple of times.

When I checked out the medals at Chicago I asked about the second ribbon. Guy said it was supposedly for runners who have done it 10 years or more but I honestly think he was getting confused on the definition of legacy since that seems like an odd qualifier
Yeah I think they may have been confused. Lots of races have legacy runners. For example at the marine corp marathon anyone that's run it more than 5 times is a legacy runner and doesn't have to go through the lottery to get into the race. 10 years wouldn't be unusual for legacy status for preferential entry to the race like the Chicago Marathon. Disney's "perfect" status is different. From what I understand, based on a talking to one of the perfect runners on the 20th anniversary at Disney. They have gotten special perks and mementos for being perfect, but they didn't get preferential race entry.

Anyone else have the outfit(s) started?

I have my Ariel outfit complete, so one down, 3 to go. I figured at least one of my outfits should be princess themed, and I picked Ariel, not because she's my favorite princess, but because I like the colors.

I do have my Mrs. Incredible outfit from 2016 that I'm probably going to reuse. I have some ideas for the other two races, just haven't nailed that down yet, but would really like to do something Star Wars themed.

According the website we get "NEW! 25th Anniversary Champion® Long-Sleeved Tech Shirt in Women's or Men's Cut".

They are NEW!, with an exclamation point to get you excited about the $185 fee, and to emphasize that we will not be getting leftover shirts from the past 25 years that they have in storage. :smooth:

Regarding Disney burnout...

Part of the reason we sold our DVC (shocking, I know!)
Also, why we go around every 3 years now. Leaves it the same with enough new things in between. runDisney and a soon to be 18yo DD may change that though

I haven't really started working on mine but have decided I'm going to go with Stitch colors and put a Lilo and Stitch saying on the top.
Love Stitch!

I have my Ariel outfit complete, so one down, 3 to go. I figured at least one of my outfits should be princess themed, and I picked Ariel, not because she's my favorite princess, but because I like the colors.

I do have my Mrs. Incredible outfit from 2016 that I'm probably going to reuse. I have some ideas for the other two races, just haven't nailed that down yet, but would really like to do something Star Wars themed.
I'm sort of sad I only have 1 outfit to do this time, but I'm going very rare character on it. Ariel colors are great I agree!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter