Makin' Memories... A PTR for a 2022 Thanksgiving Trip. (hopefully)

I'm here! And I got excited just reading your intro. Also love the imaginary trip questionnaires! I may have to steal that idea, as I'm curious what my folks would say.

Thanksgiving Day:
So, first order of business... I have been thinking about what we should do on Thanksgiving Day.

The plan is to fly out Wednesday afternoon. The girls always have a half day the day before the holiday. So, I hope to get a flight that we get after they are done with school. So, we will more than likely get in late-ish. And with the next day a holiday. I am thinking that we want to have a fairly relaxing day. So, going into the park is an option but I am really leaning towards spending the day at the resort.

The front runner for me really is to just relax at the resort for the day. Take advantage of the pool and maybe even rent a cabana for half a day?

I think renting a cabana may make it seem more "special" of a day. And almost force us to not be tempted to head into a park.
View attachment 551225
It would be really nice to have an area for us to relax and not worry about the people around us. And to have a server to get us some lunch and drinks sounds like a dream! It looks like for a half day reservation would be from 10:00 - 2:00 for $150. Not cheap but for a special day I think it might be worth it.

This sounds like a great and special idea and a really good way to handle the temptation to enter a park. It's not something I'd do over and over again, but I think as a one-time thing on a special day it could be perfect.

Even if we don't rent a cabana, I do think we will spend some time at the pool. I am sure we will be itching to get into the parks. But I just think that it will be worth waiting a day for it to be less crowded and to let us recharge from travel day.

Sounds like a good plan.

If we stick to this, where should we eat for dinner? I have a short list that I have been pondering...

Dinner Options:
Chef Art Smith's Homecomin' - We love it here and if nothing else fried chicken is close to turkey, right? I know they had a special thanksgiving slider this past year. And I just love those Fried Green Tomatoes.
View attachment 551228

Morimoto Asia - This would be the other option if we ventured to Disney Springs. I would be willing to swap turkey for those rib and sushi.
View attachment 551230
Liberty Tree Tavern - We ate here for the first time on our last trip before all of this. And I have to say I was pleasantly suprised by it! I always avoided it because it just seemed so heavy for the heat of Florida. But it would be the most traditional meal we would get. BUT I just don't know if I want to even try and venture into a park this day. And if we wanted to get in later in the day just for a ride or two and then dinner?
View attachment 551229

Yachtman Steakhouse - I think this is the front runner. Granted it needs to reopen first! But I do like the idea of just completely relaxing at the resort of the entire day. We have never been here and have been meaning to.
View attachment 551231

Does anyone have any other recommendations? Thoughts?

I would go with Yachtsman to just not have to deal with any transportation stuff on that day and make things as easy as possible. Cora is desperate to try Yachtsman (LOVES steak), so I'd be curious to hear y'all's experience with kids.

Has anyone been in Disney on Thanksgiving? How busy was it? Has anyone rented a cabana before? Do you think it is worth it? What is the best restaurant to go to for Thanksgiving?

So I haven't been to WDW at Thanksgiving, but have been to Disneyland for Thanksgiving twice. Crowds were very manageable in the days leading up to Thanksgiving, then really bad from Thanksgiving through the following Sunday, then manageable again by Monday. Who knows if WDW follows a similar pattern, as I know the typical patrons tend to be very different, but thought I'd throw it out there. Despite the crowds we still loved it and would have been happy to have gone again this past year if not for covid.

SUCH A FUN IDEA!!! :) I'm having issues changing colors, I keep accidentally deleting, so I'll just reply in CAPS :)

Imaginary Trip:
How long you would go for? TWO WEEKS
What time of year would you go? HALLOWEEN CHANGING OVER TO CHRISTMAS
What resort would you stay at? BOARDWALK
What resort do you NOT want to stay at? ALL STARS
What EPCOT festival would you want it to be? (doesn't have to match your time of year) F.ARTS
What is the breakdown of your park days? PARK HOP EVERY DAY, SO LOTS OF PARK DAYS AT EACH
What resort would you pool hop to? (assuming it was allowed) I REALLY WANT TO TRY THE BIG BLUE POOL AT AOA

What would be your first ride of the trip? I'M WITH GWEN, IT'S A SMALL WORLD IS ALWAYS ONE OF THE FIRST :)
Where would you eat your first meal, what restaurant? CINDERELLA'S ROYAL TABLE
What would you have as your first snack of the trip? MICKEY PRETZEL WITH CHEESE
What is your first drink of the trip? PINA COLAVA

Pick 3 Fast Passes for the whole trip. It can be across different parks.
ROTR
MMRR
RNRC

Choose one more ride for each park.
TOT
EE
SOARIN

What ride do you NOT want to ride. STAR TOURS
Choose one Bonus "Extra" (this can be dessert parties, behind the scenes tours, or things like mini-golf, surey bikes, basically anything that isn't what the first timer would do)
BACKSTAGE MAGIC TOUR

Choose 3 additional food items: snacks, desserts restaurants. 50'S PRIMETIME CAFE, TUSKER HOUSE, PECOS BILL'S
Choose 1 store to shop at and what would you want to buy? THE EMPORIUM, NEW MOUSE EARS

And then last but not least...
What would be the LAST thing you would do before you leave? This can be a ride, food, really anything goes. CLOSE THE MAGIC KINGDOM ON MY FINAL NIGHT AND STAY FOR THE KISS GOODNIGHT

That was so fun!! :)

Also love the imaginary trip questionnaires! I may have to steal that idea, as I'm curious what my folks would say.
Def do! I would love to here the answers from the whole family! Itt is a fun easy activity!

This sounds like a great and special idea and a really good way to handle the temptation to enter a park. It's not something I'd do over and over again, but I think as a one-time thing on a special day it could be perfect.
This is pretty much what I am thinking!

I would go with Yachtsman to just not have to deal with any transportation stuff on that day and make things as easy as possible. Cora is desperate to try Yachtsman (LOVES steak), so I'd be curious to hear y'all's experience with kids.
Another reason why Cora and Morgan need to meet up one day!

days leading up to Thanksgiving, then really bad from Thanksgiving through the following Sunday, then manageable again by Monday. Who knows if WDW follows a similar pattern, as I know the typical patrons tend to be very different, but thought I'd throw it out there. Despite the crowds we still loved it and would have been happy to have gone again this past year if not for covid.
We went last year (the current trip report) and that is about right, well, the weekend was busy but by Sunday it wasn't that bad.

Following!!
Love your imaginary trip idea!
:welcome: Thanks!!! It was fun to pretend we were planning a real trip and not stuck inside with nothing to do.

HALLOWEEN CHANGING OVER TO CHRISTMAS
That is a good time as well! 2 holidays for the price of one!

BOARDWALK
Have you guys stayed here yet? Andy and I did on our adults only trip. We liked it but it had LITERALLY the WORST counterservice. There basically wasn't any. Just a walk thru bakery.

I REALLY WANT TO TRY THE BIG BLUE POOL AT AOA
Me too! That is a good one!

CINDERELLA'S ROYAL TABLE
I would never have thought of that, but that is a good one!

50'S PRIMETIME CAFE, TUSKER HOUSE, PECOS BILL'S
We have yet to try 50's Primetime. Maybe we should give it a try. I feel the same about there as I did about Liberty Tree Tavern.

CLOSE THE MAGIC KINGDOM ON MY FINAL NIGHT AND STAY FOR THE KISS GOODNIGHT
The Goodnight's Kiss!!! That is another thing I want to do!!!

That was so fun!! :)
Yeah! Can you have Jimmy do it? I would love to hear his answers, too!

Love this idea and all your answers. Shows everyone’s personality. I agree with Andy about Space . It used to be my favorite but now I ride maybe once just because it is classic. I also don’t like tower of terror’s drops. I ride only with my nephews now.

Favorite at MK - Big Thunder
AK - Everest
HS - Rock n Roller Coaster
EPCOT - Soarin
I like to open and close my trips with the Tomorrow Land Transit Authority. Please let it be open in September!

A lot of good food choices .

My favorite resort is Yacht Club. Love the whole EPCOT / Boardwalk resort area. French Quarter is my fave moderate. I don’t like the more spread out resorts like Caribbean beach and Coronado springs ( though gran destino tower is gorgeous)
I finally hit the Festival of the Holidays this year ( well, a modified version ) . The only one I haven’t gone to is the Arts so that would be what I would like to do next . But , flower and garden is my favorite of the others .

I don’t like being cold. I had to wear a coat when I went in December so I am going to say October because it is my birthday month and I love Halloween .

I would go on some kind of backstage tour for my extra .

Last edited:
That is a good time as well! 2 holidays for the price of one!
Plus, I've never been able to go for Halloween because of being a teacher!

Have you guys stayed here yet? Andy and I did on our adults only trip. We liked it but it had LITERALLY the WORST counterservice. There basically wasn't any. Just a walk thru bakery.
I never have, but have always wanted to try it out! Not having a counter service would be a big bummer for us though because we do tend to eat at the resort quite a bit.

We have yet to try 50's Primetime. Maybe we should give it a try. I feel the same about there as I did about Liberty Tree Tavern.
We LOVE Primetime! The pot roast is my favorite, and Rob loves when we visit at Christmas and they have the traditional Christmas dinner as a meal option. Some servers really get into character, but some not so much, so that part is a little hit or miss for us, but we still love it!

Yeah! Can you have Jimmy do it? I would love to hear his answers, too!
I definitely will! He'll probably get a kick out of it :)

Love the fantasy trip! How fun to think about that right now.

Imaginary Trip:
How long you would go for? 10 nights
What time of year would you go? October
What resort would you stay at? Grand Floridian club level
What resort do you NOT want to stay at? Old Key West
What EPCOT festival would you want it to be? (doesn't have to match your time of year) Flower and Garden
What is the breakdown of your park days? 2-3 days of each park
What resort would you pool hop to? (assuming it was allowed)
Storm along bay
What would be your first ride of the trip? Peter Pan
Where would you eat your first meal, what restaurant? California Grill Brunch
What would you have as your first snack of the trip? Dole whip upside down cake
What is your first drink of the trip? Slushy from France

FoP, Mickey and Minnie Railway, Slinky Dog
Choose one more ride for each park. Dinosaur, Soarin, ToT, Big Thunder
What ride do you NOT want to ride. RnRc
Choose one Bonus "Extra" (this can be dessert parties, behind the scenes tours, or things like mini-golf, surey bikes, basically anything that isn't what the first timer would do) VIP tour

Choose 3 additional food items: snacks, desserts restaurants. (we had to word it this way because Morgan made asttink that she hate restaurants) Sanaa, Via Napoli, Shredded Pork Nachos at Capt Cooks
Choose 1 store to shop at and what would you want to buy?
World of Disney, the Most expensive Dooney, HM themed.
What would be the LAST thing you would do before you leave? This can be a ride, food, really anything goes.Meet Mickey at Town Square Theater to tell him see you real soon.....

Thanks for the fun questions and I hope we all can do some or all of these in the future!

I love the imaginary trip idea! And i love that it gives you an idea of things the girls want to do on a trip that you wouldn't have known otherwise!

Imaginary Trip:
How long you would go for? 2 weeks
What time of year would you go? October-November (Halloween into Christmas)
What resort would you stay at? split stay- Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, AKL
What resort do you NOT want to stay at? Caribbean Beach
What EPCOT festival would you want it to be? (doesn't have to match your time of year) Flower and Garden
What is the breakdown of your park days? 3 MK, 2 HS, 2 AK, 3 Epcot, 2 rest days, 2 Universal days
What resort would you pool hop to? (assuming it was allowed) Grand Floridian just because the kids play area looks so cute

What would be your first ride of the trip? Big Thunder Mountain
Where would you eat your first meal, what restaurant? California Grill
What would you have as your first snack of the trip? Mickey cake pop
What is your first drink of the trip? Avocado margarita!

Flight of Passage
Rise of the Resistance
Big Thunder Mountain

Expedition Everest
Test Track
Splash Mountain
Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

What ride do you NOT want to ride. tea cups!

Choose one Bonus "Extra" (this can be dessert parties, behind the scenes tours, or things like mini-golf, surey bikes, basically anything that isn't what the first timer would do)
Wild Africa Trek

Choose 3 additional food items: snacks, desserts restaurants. (we had to word it this way because Morgan made asttink that she hate restaurants)

ribs from Morimoto Asia
ahi tuna nachos from Yak and Yeti
bread service from Sanaa

oo good question. Any store and a Disney dooney bag!

What would be the LAST thing you would do before you leave? This can be a ride, food, really anything goes.

ice cream sundaes from the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor while watching Happily Ever After!

Jimmy's Imaginary Trip:
How long you would go for? CHRISTMAS EVE TIL JANUARY 19TH (VERY SPECIFIC DATES, LOL)
What time of year would you go? CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR'S
What resort would you stay at? POP CENTURY (HE'S A CREATURE OF HABIT! HE SAYS, "I KNOW MY WAY AROUND THERE. I DON'T NEED TO MOVE ANYWHERE ELSE.")
What resort do you NOT want to stay at? "WELL, MAYBE I WOULD STAY AT ART OF ANIMATION RESORT, BUT NOWHERE ELSE."
What EPCOT festival would you want it to be? "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?" (LOL, HE'S ONLY BEEN THERE DURING SUMMER OR FESTIVAL OF THE HOLIDAYS)
What is the breakdown of your park days? MK 6 DAYS, DHS 5 DAYS, EPCOT 6 DAYS, AK 4 DAYS
What resort would you pool hop to? (assuming it was allowed) "I JUST LOVE THE HIPPY DIPPY POOL"

What would be your first ride of the trip?SPACESHIP EARTH, "THAT'S MY FAVORITE RIDE"
Where would you eat your first meal, what restaurant? CASEY'S CORNER
What would you have as your first snack of the trip? SIMBA PRETZEL WITH CHEESE
What is your first drink of the trip? BLUE POWERADE AT EVERYTHING POP!

SPACESHIP EARTH
MUPPETVISION 3D
TOMORROWLAND SPEEDWAY

SOARIN
KILIMANJARO SAFARI
IT'S A SMALL WORLD

What ride do you NOT want to ride. DINOSAUR
"GOLF WITH DADDY"

Choose 3 additional food items: snacks, desserts restaurants. CHICKEN TENDERS, CORN DOG NUGGETS, MICKEY WAFFLES
Choose 1 store to shop at and what would you want to buy? EVERYTHING POP! BABY STUFFED ANIMALS (HE IS ALMOST 12, AND STILL LOVES HIS "GUYS!")

What would be the LAST thing you would do before you leave? "PROBABLY I WOULD TAKE A PICTURE IN FRONT OF THE PARTNERS STATUE."

I'M glad you suggested asking Jimmy his choices :) It was so fun to hear him come up with ideas!

Imaginary Trip:
How long you would go for? 2 weeks!
What time of year would you go? February
What resort would you stay at? 1 week at Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Savannah view and 1 week at the Yacht Club ~ club level!
What resort do you NOT want to stay at? All Star Sports
What EPCOT festival would you want it to be? (doesn't have to match your time of year) Food and Wine!
What is the breakdown of your park days? 4 MK, 3 AK, 3 EP, 2 HS, 2 rest days. Also lots of park hopping!
What resort would you pool hop to? (assuming it was allowed)None

What would be your first ride of the trip? The People Mover!!
Where would you eat your first meal, what restaurant? Jiko!
What would you have as your first snack of the trip? Pineapple upside down cake with Dole Whip!
What is your first drink of the trip? Lapu Lapu at Tambu Lounge

Pick 3 Fast Passes for the whole trip. It can be across different parks. MMRR, Haunted Mansion, FoP
Choose one more ride for each park. Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest, Peter Pan's Flight, Living with the Land
What ride do you NOT want to ride. Space Mountain (too jerky)
Choose one Bonus "Extra" (this can be dessert parties, behind the scenes tours, or things like mini-golf, surey bikes, basically anything that isn't what the first timer would do) Happily Ever After dessert party!

Choose 3 additional food items: snacks, desserts restaurants. (we had to word it this way because Morgan made asttink that she hate restaurants) 3 restaurants....... Wine Bar George, Flying Fish, California Grill
Choose 1 store to shop at and what would you want to buy? The Dress Shoppe at Cherry Tree Lane~ a new Disney Dress Shoppe dress AND a Dooney and Bourke bag AND a new charm for my Disney Pandora bracelet.

What would be the LAST thing you would do before you leave? This can be a ride, food, really anything goes. Listen to the Dapper Dans and the Trolley show on Main Street USA!

The Dress Shoppe at Cherry Tree Lane~ a new Disney Dress Shoppe dress AND a Dooney and Bourke bag AND a new charm for my Disney Pandora bracelet.
I like how you think!

Listen to the Dapper Dans and the Trolley show on Main Street USA!
Nice! I love the trolley show! Although I will admit that I have only listened to the dapper dans in passing.

1 week at Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Savannah view and 1 week at the Yacht Club ~ club level!
Why I didn't think of Club Level I am not sure!!!

We have not eaten here yet! I keep planning a trip with my middle sister and her husband and we all stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge. (her husband loves zoos and animals) And I always have us eating at ALL of the restaurants at Animal Kingdom Lodge!

Lapu Lapu at Tambu Lounge
One of my favorites as well!

Happily Ever After dessert party!
We love the dessert party. I hope they come back! Maybe with even less people for even more space on the grass!

CHRISTMAS EVE TIL JANUARY 19TH (VERY SPECIFIC DATES, LOL)
Ha! I love how they can all get so specific sometimes!!!

CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR'S
Well, he clearly doesn't mind being in Disney for Christmas. I just don't think the girls could do it. But you never know...

POP CENTURY (HE'S A CREATURE OF HABIT! HE SAYS, "I KNOW MY WAY AROUND THERE. I DON'T NEED TO MOVE ANYWHERE ELSE.")
I love that he knows his way around. And really isn't that why we all love staying at the same resort, no matter what resort it is. It's kind of why I love going to Disney. We know our way around.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?" (LOL, HE'S ONLY BEEN THERE DURING SUMMER OR FESTIVAL OF THE HOLIDAYS)
Pool Jimmy. As a kid, not sure they mean much anyway... I bet he would like Festival of the Arts. And maybe in his pretend trip, you would get to actually see it. Ha!

SIMBA PRETZEL WITH CHEESE
Does he think the simba pretzels taste different than the mickey ones.... Morgan does. She says mickey ones are better.

MUPPETVISION 3D
Him and Gwen!

I think Gwen forgot about this ride! As I am pretty sure she would have said the same thing as well.

"GOLF WITH DADDY"
I love this! Have they gone golfing together?

EVERYTHING POP! BABY STUFFED ANIMALS (HE IS ALMOST 12, AND STILL LOVES HIS "GUYS!")
I love that he still loves his guys too!

PROBABLY I WOULD TAKE A PICTURE IN FRONT OF THE PARTNERS STATUE."
Well, he wins with that ANSWER!!!!

I'M glad you suggested asking Jimmy his choices :) It was so fun to hear him come up with ideas!
I loved hearing all his answers too. It is intersting what they think. Some are obvious, but they always throw us a curve ball.

split stay- Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, AKL
I love all 3 of these! Well, I lump beach club and yacht club into basically the same place. I know it's not but really they share all the same amenities.

Grand Floridian just because the kids play area looks so cute
It does look super cute!!!!

What would be your first ride of the trip? Big Thunder Mountain
Where would you eat your first meal, what restaurant? California Grill
Both great choices!

Wild Africa Trek
I forgot about that one! Morgan swears she will never do it because of the bridge you have to walk over. Maybe one day when they are older.

oo good question. Any store and a Disney dooney bag!
I am waiting for just the right pattern. I do want one, one day.

ribs from Morimoto Asia
ahi tuna nachos from Yak and Yeti
bread service from Sanaa
yes, yes and yes!!! ;)

I like to open and close my trips with the Tomorrow Land Transit Authority. Please let it be open in September!
Fingers Crossed!!!! I am so glad it seems like it is infact reopening!

I am going to say October because it is my birthday month and I love Halloween .
Birthday trips are always good!

We LOVE Primetime! The pot roast is my favorite, and Rob loves when we visit at Christmas and they have the traditional Christmas dinner as a meal option. Some servers really get into character, but some not so much, so that part is a little hit or miss for us, but we still love it!
hmmm. Could be another option for Thanksgiving dinner...

Reactions: DLo
Grand Floridian club level
Good One! Why I didn't think of club level I am not sure. For an imagenary trip, club level is a must!

California Grill Brunch
I TOTALLY forgot all about the brunch. I really want to do this one day. Assuming it comes back, of course.

Slushy from France
Also a good one!

Sanaa, Via Napoli, Shredded Pork Nachos at Capt Cooks
Yes to all of those!!!

World of Disney, the Most expensive Dooney, HM themed.
I am with you on the Dooneys. I want to get one, one day. But I am still waiting for that perfect pattern. I do like the HM ones the best.

Meet Mickey at Town Square Theater to tell him see you real soon.....
For some reason this makes me sad. Such a great way to leave.

Thanks for the fun questions and I hope we all can do some or all of these in the future!
I second that!

We have not eaten here yet! I keep planning a trip with my middle sister and her husband and we all stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge. (her husband loves zoos and animals) And I always have us eating at ALL of the restaurants at Animal Kingdom Lodge!
That would be an amazing trip! I love Boma for breakfast although I haven't had dinner there yet. The Mara is one of the best quick services on property in my opinion. There are so many fabulous options! I love Jiko and the bar/lounge there is excellent. Victoria Falls lounge is great too....they have a warm goat cheese dip there that is one of my hands down favourites!

Last edited:
I am waiting for just the right pattern. I do want one, one day.
Just wait.....I thought I only ever wanted one. In fact, I never expected to own one until my DH bought me one for a trip planning present on our 2015 trip. Now I have 18........it's a slippery slope!

Hi there! Saw you mention this in Ariane's report and had to make my way over.

I'm hopeful we can make it back to Disney sometime this summer but even if we don't I've told Jason we will do Christmas. After being sick with the flu for Xmas 2019 and of course the crapiness that was Xmas 2020 I need some Disney Christmas magic in my life. I think Kelly @buzzrelly is planning on going in December too so hopefully we could time it to see you both.

And of course I have to play this awesome game of yours. Plan on having the family do it later today as we enjoy a snow day.

Imaginary Trip:
How long you would go for? 2 weeks
What time of year would you go? Any time that wasn't dead of summer
What resort would you stay at? Wilderness Lodge
What resort do you NOT want to stay at? All Stars (never been but I know I'm a hotel snob)
What is the breakdown of your park days? No breakdown since this is my fantasy I just wanna wing it every day
What resort would you pool hop to? (assuming it was allowed) Polynesian. Not that the pool is that great but love the atmosphere, drinks and Captain Cooks nachos

What would be your first ride of the trip? Pooper (aka People Mover)
Where would you eat your first meal, what restaurant? Nomad Lounge
What would you have as your first snack of the trip? Cream Cheese Pretzel on aforementioned Pooper or Fried Cauliflower at Nomad Lounge (depending on what I did first)
What is your first drink of the trip? Annapurna Zing

Flight of Passage
Splash Mountain
Rise of the Resistance

Expedition Everest
The Land
Peter Pan
Runaway Railway

What ride do you NOT want to ride. Barnstormer

All the food and wine special events

Choose 3 additional food items: snacks, desserts restaurants. (we had to word it this way because Morgan made a sttink that she hate restaurants)

Bread Service from Sanaa
Carciofi Pizza (with arugula of course) from Via Napoli
Wagyu and Elk Mac and Cheese from Jiko

I'm gonna cheat again and since I don't like to shop my "shop" would be Yak and Yeti and I'd add Ahi Tuna Nachos to the list above

What would be the LAST thing you would do before you leave? This can be a ride, food, really anything goes.
I'd end where I started and drinks at Nomad's Lounge

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter