Make a Wish (and other organizations!) - Wish Trippers...UNITE!! Volume 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, no letdown at all!! I loved it! :) I'm so impressed that Britney Spears took time to meet that little girl! It looked like those girls had lots of fun! Those videos always makes me a bit weepy, lol. :) I've watched a few other ones on youtube and I get teary eyed every time. :goodvibes Good job, Mary!! :)

No, no letdown at all!! I loved it! :) I'm so impressed that Britney Spears took time to meet that little girl! It looked like those girls had lots of fun! Those videos always makes me a bit weepy, lol. :) I've watched a few other ones on youtube and I get teary eyed every time. :goodvibes Good job, Mary!! :)

Yeah...I sorta doubt Britney Spears does that anymore? :lmao: Or maybe MAW probably doesn't really ask her to? Bless her heart, though, seriously. I feel bad for Britney! She obviously has a good heart if she was granting wishes!!

Yeah...Lauren's dad got teary over the star thing...Which always makes me cry! And I LOVE that song!

Hi,

We are a new wish trip family to the boards and I just found out on Friday that we are going to Disney on February 1st!!! :love: :woohoo: :yay: Well, we are still waiting for the doctor to sign the final approval so the plane tics can be reserved, but our Wish Coordinator told us that we have reservations at GKTW - so it seems like we're pretty set for the February 1st. Hurray!!!! I found a link to the dis boards from MDC and was so excited to find the Wish Trip Thread. I have read a great deal of it and it's great to know a lot of what to expect.

My daughters are HUGE Little House on the Praire fans, so we're going to call ourselves Mary, Laura, Ma and Pa. Actually we often do call ourselves that!!!

Mary is our wish child and is 3 1/2 years old. She was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease last May called Juvenile Dermatomyositis. It's a muscle weakening disease with skin involvement and sometimes other systems as well. She had a persistant rash on her cheeks that we went to see the dermatologist for thinking we would get a cream..... and then we got this diagnosis. It was only in hindsight that I realised she was moving slower - taking longer to get up the stairs and climb into her car seat. I had attributed it to just being two years old and interested in every piece of dirt along the way. She was also tired, but she was also giving up her nap at the time, so I just attributed it to that. In the two weeks between diagnosis and starting treatment, she got a lot weaker. The worst moment was when she put her foot up on the step and said "mommy, I'm stuck" and couldn't get up the stairs.

She had a port put in (as well as a muscle biopsy) and started on IV steroids as well as low dose chemo, oral steroids and a few other meds. She is immunosupressed and we are also limited in being able to go outside because the sun can flare her disease and her meds make her sun-sensitive - a double danger. Anytime we go out she wears sunscreen, sunhat and sunglasses. Fortunately treatment has gone very well for her and she has regained much of her strengh back. We are so lucky to live near one of the best doctors for her disease and have a wonderful home health nurse who did her treatments. It was Mary's nurse who told us about applying for a wish.

Laura is Mary's twin sister and has been a fabulous support to her sister. It
was very hard for her when Mary went for her MRI and surgerys in the beginning, because they had never really been apart. It was only in anticipation of the surgery that we did a quick Ma & Mara, Laura & Pa separate outings. Mary said to me then "Where is Laura? She's my best friend." Laura has become very scared about anything related to getting hurt during this time - it's so hard to understand what is going on with your twin when you are only three.

I'm Ma and I'm at home with the girls churning butter and such while Pa heads out to chop down the woods to build the log cabin (actually we are a little more modern than that LOL)

Mary and Laura are kind of unique Disney Wish Trippers because they don't actually know any of the characters - they had seen Pa's family movies of Disney World from when he was a child and that's why they wanted to go!!! They are very sensitive about scary parts of stories and so really haven't seen any of the disney stories. I was looking at a simple board book at the bookstore about the princesses last week thinking they might be intersted - however I knew they would be upset by Belle (a beast capturing her father), Cinderella (no mother), and Sleeping Beauty (they'd never touch apples again). They do know of the princesses and said they would talk to them, but were quite concerned about "guys with heads". Although I read in someones Trip Report that Frosty the Snowman was at GKTW Christmas :santa: , so that might just interest them in meeting someone "with a head".

I think we are going to do two days Magic Kingdom, one day epcot, one day sea world and one day Universal (because they LOVE the Seuss books). We are also pretty excited about Sea World, since one of Marys other wishs was "Wish to be a Fish".

I learned so much from reading here, but still have some questions of course, mostly relating to the sun. Fortunately we are going (intentionally) at a lower sun time of year and we'll be well covered, but there are still some mid day times that Mary should be out of the sun. So here are the questions:

1) What is epcot like being indoors v.s. outdoors? Are the world pavillions (especially the kidcot stations) indoors or outdoors? Is The Seas exhibit indoors or out doors.

2) What are some good mid-day indoor activities at Magic Kingdom (I've already got small world).

3) What happens in line when you GAC says "wait out of sun"

4) It looks like the Carousel at GKTW is shaded - is that true?

5) I think the main shows we would want to see would be at Seaworld (least scary). Are there covered areas to see the shows? Are there some indoor exhibits?

6) From the seaworld website it looks like almost all the rides have a minimum of 42 inches - even the carousel!! Can that really be true??

7) Are all of the attractions at Seuss Landing in the sun or are there some that are not?

8) Does GKTW have bed rails? Will GKTW work with a low sodium diet?

Wow - that's really looong popcorn:: . Thanks for reading and I'm sure I'll have more questions as it gets closer.

O.K. - I just posted and it's pretty funny with a name like OrangeRabbit to be "earning my ears".

Orangerabbit!

Welcome!

I am not a wish trip mom but follow the thread and can answer some of your questions so I'll throw out what I know. I do not have a special needs child so will leave those questions to the experts here!

1) What is epcot like being indoors v.s. outdoors? Are the world pavillions (especially the kidcot stations) indoors or outdoors? Is The Seas exhibit indoors or out doors.

The Living Seas is all inside. It is alot of aquarium (super fun to see), Nemo ride and Turtle Talk with Crush. The line for Nemo is inside (assuming you won't have to wait in line though). Sounds like a great thing for you to do at Epcot!

Most of the world pavillions you'll go inside a building to do or see something. In Mexico, the boat ride is inside along with the kidcot stations. Norway, the boat ride is also inside a building. I know a few kidcots are outside but I can't name them all for sure, most have an umbrella (if not all) but depending on the sun I am sure they could more or less be useless.

2) What are some good mid-day indoor activities at Magic Kingdom (I've already got small world).

There is also Philaharmagic (totally spelled that wrong). Seeing the princesses are also inside in toontown.

5) I think the main shows we would want to see would be at Seaworld (least scary). Are there covered areas to see the shows? Are there some indoor exhibits?

6) From the seaworld website it looks like almost all the rides have a minimum of 42 inches - even the carousel!! Can that really be true??

There is a super small kids land at Sea World. My son loved it when he was 3 and rode the rides over there. We actually spent quite a bit of time in such a small area.

7) Are all of the attractions at Seuss Landing in the sun or are there some that are not?

The Carousel is covered, Cat in the Hat inside a building. 1 fish, 2 fish is completely outside uncovered. The new little train thing, the train is covered with a top, but it is outside. The wait is inside kind of, covered from the sun though.

Hope you have a great trip!

Hi,

We are a new wish trip family to the boards and I just found out on Friday that we are going to Disney on February 1st!!! :love: :woohoo: :yay: Well, we are still waiting for the doctor to sign the final approval so the plane tics can be reserved, but our Wish Coordinator told us that we have reservations at GKTW - so it seems like we're pretty set for the February 1st. Hurray!!!! I found a link to the dis boards from MDC and was so excited to find the Wish Trip Thread. I have read a great deal of it and it's great to know a lot of what to expect.

My daughters are HUGE Little House on the Praire fans, so we're going to call ourselves Mary, Laura, Ma and Pa. Actually we often do call ourselves that!!!

Mary is our wish child and is 3 1/2 years old. She was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease last May called Juvenile Dermatomyositis. It's a muscle weakening disease with skin involvement and sometimes other systems as well. She had a persistant rash on her cheeks that we went to see the dermatologist for thinking we would get a cream..... and then we got this diagnosis. It was only in hindsight that I realised she was moving slower - taking longer to get up the stairs and climb into her car seat. I had attributed it to just being two years old and interested in every piece of dirt along the way. She was also tired, but she was also giving up her nap at the time, so I just attributed it to that. In the two weeks between diagnosis and starting treatment, she got a lot weaker. The worst moment was when she put her foot up on the step and said "mommy, I'm stuck" and couldn't get up the stairs.

She had a port put in (as well as a muscle biopsy) and started on IV steroids as well as low dose chemo, oral steroids and a few other meds. She is immunosupressed and we are also limited in being able to go outside because the sun can flare her disease and her meds make her sun-sensitive - a double danger. Anytime we go out she wears sunscreen, sunhat and sunglasses. Fortunately treatment has gone very well for her and she has regained much of her strengh back. We are so lucky to live near one of the best doctors for her disease and have a wonderful home health nurse who did her treatments. It was Mary's nurse who told us about applying for a wish.

was very hard for her when Mary went for her MRI and surgerys in the beginning, because they had never really been apart. It was only in anticipation of the surgery that we did a quick Ma & Mara, Laura & Pa separate outings. Mary said to me then "Where is Laura? She's my best friend." Laura has become very scared about anything related to getting hurt during this time - it's so hard to understand what is going on with your twin when you are only three.

I'm Ma and I'm at home with the girls churning butter and such while Pa heads out to chop down the woods to build the log cabin (actually we are a little more modern than that LOL)

Mary and Laura are kind of unique Disney Wish Trippers because they don't actually know any of the characters - they had seen Pa's family movies of Disney World from when he was a child and that's why they wanted to go!!! They are very sensitive about scary parts of stories and so really haven't seen any of the disney stories. I was looking at a simple board book at the bookstore about the princesses last week thinking they might be intersted - however I knew they would be upset by Belle (a beast capturing her father), Cinderella (no mother), and Sleeping Beauty (they'd never touch apples again). They do know of the princesses and said they would talk to them, but were quite concerned about "guys with heads". Although I read in someones Trip Report that Frosty the Snowman was at GKTW Christmas :santa: , so that might just interest them in meeting someone "with a head".

I think we are going to do two days Magic Kingdom, one day epcot, one day sea world and one day Universal (because they LOVE the Seuss books). We are also pretty excited about Sea World, since one of Marys other wishs was "Wish to be a Fish".

I learned so much from reading here, but still have some questions of course, mostly relating to the sun. Fortunately we are going (intentionally) at a lower sun time of year and we'll be well covered, but there are still some mid day times that Mary should be out of the sun. So here are the questions:

Wow - that's really looong popcorn:: . Thanks for reading and I'm sure I'll have more questions as it gets closer.

O.K. - I just posted and it's pretty funny with a name like OrangeRabbit to be "earning my ears".

Welcome Orangerabbit,
I too have nothing to contribute answerwise as we haven't been yet and are total Disney Virgins.
Though....this one....

You are going on a Wish Trip so in most instances you wont actually be Standing or waiting in line.

BTW......You havent got a lot of time to plan have you? Only a couple of weeks, Yikes!!!

Mandy

Mandy

Hi,

Yes, I think all the shows have shaded areas, although the closest seats are usually not shaded. There are also some indoor exhibits.

I wish I could answer more but people have already answered the ones that I knew :goodvibes
Have a great trip

Lauren has had me working on a little project for her...and I wanted to share it with you guys.

I am not even going to post this on my TR...but I wanted you guys to see it.

Lauren is a member of her student council...student government...whatever you call it these days. She always makes fun of me for calling it student council! :confused3

Anyway...they "randomly" assigned her...at the beginning of the year...before we knew about her Wish Trip dates, etc...to head up the fundraiser that her school does each year for Make a Wish!!!

Every day her school has this TV announcement program at her school (about 2500 students) and she asked them if we could show her MAW video...and they said YES! But, Lauren wanted me to change it up a little. She wanted more information about MAW on it and wanted to add her friends MAW trip pictures, too. And she wanted to add something so that the teenagers would want to donate! So we did...a lot of it is the same as the first video I did, but not all of it.

Here is the link if you guys want to see it! :goodvibes

Fundraiser Video for Lauren

The other girl is Mary Claire and her Mom gave me permission to post this. Lauren and Mary Claire are best friends...and are both Wish Kids! (Once a wish kid, always a wish kid!) Mary Claire got her wish when she was 8. She has muscular dystrophy. She was diagnosed at age 7. She is no longer walking. :sad2: Mary Claire plays power soccer (wheelchair soccer) with Lauren.

I hope you guys have an awesome night!!

Oh Boy
I was okay watching the video until the end bit when you wrote
"Some Kids are sick".........That is the point at which I came unstuck:sad1:

The kidcot stations are either indoors or under cover -

What are some good mid-day indoor activities at Magic Kingdom (I've already got small world).
Tomorrowland transit authority, Carousell of progress, Buzz Light year, hall of presidents, pirates of the caribbean.

Most of the lines are under cover, but where they aren't you'll be shown another way.

yes, it's under a giant mushroom cap. There are many other sheltered activities. Unlike amusement parks in our home areas, Disneyworld has to put up with VERY hot sun most of the year and seasonal deluges of rain, so they're pretty prepared for it as far as queues and eating areas. It's moving from place to place where you're going to need a good big umbrella or something to shelter her from the sun.

yes. Again, it's moving among the attractions where the biggest issue will occur.

That is certainly what the website says - but I observed what appeared to be SMALL children riding with their dad on the Jellies, so don't give up the ship until you get there and see in person.

In my recollection quite a few are out in the open. At least one is not, though and that's the one with the couches - uh Cat in hat? I can't remember the name.

One thing I might plan to do is MK on days when they're open late then you wouldn't have to worry about the sun for at least part of the day. You could do that at EPCOT too, they're open until 9 pm, but unfortunately, the kid cot stations mostly close by 5 or 6.

Have fun!

Welcome, OrangeRabbit!!!

:)

We are glad you are here!!!!!!

I can't believe you are leaving Feb 1!!!

If you start a pre-trip report...or a trip report when you get back, please let me know and I can add it to our wish thread! :)

Sounds like you guys are going to have a blast!

It looks like most of your questions were answered. I don't know the answer about the bed rails?? You could call GKTW...800-995-KIDS and ask...??

Or, is that something you can buy at Walmart? Like a cheap one? Put a bed up against a wall and then add the bed rail?

I honestly don't know...:confused3

Ok, so I never got caught up with the old thread and now we have a new one! ;) Thanks Maroo for starting this one!

I am Karla...the long lost Iluvmickeymouse!......who has been gone from the Dis waaaaaayyyyyy toooooo long! :goodvibes :rotfl:

Hello to all of you who have been and are going on Wish Trips! Hopefully I can stick around and help any of those that need it. That is if I can remember!! :sad2:

Ok, so I never got caught up with the old thread and now we have a new one! ;) Thanks Maroo for starting this one!

I am Karla...the long lost Iluvmickeymouse!......who has been gone from the Dis waaaaaayyyyyy toooooo long! :goodvibes :rotfl:

Hello to all of you who have been and are going on Wish Trips! Hopefully I can stick around and help any of those that need it. That is if I can remember!! :sad2:

Welcome back! :)

I loved your TR!! It was very detailed! :)

Glad to have you back! :) We went about the same time of year...we got to do the Halloween party and all of that stuff! :)

Bed rail info

We needed a bed rail. we told our wish organziation and they orded the bed rail from a medical supply place in the area. This is also what gktw told me when I inquired. YOu do need to set this up ahead of time

I got crafty on Sunday.. Washed them out last night.. What do you think????

DD#2's shirt, mine and nana's:

IMG00133-20090113-0737.jpg

Top row - DD#1's, DH's:
IMG00134-20090113-0737.jpg

and two pillow cases:
IMG00136-20090113-0737.jpg

And my model this morning:
IMG00138-20090113-0807.jpg

Emy wants to wear them on the plane. DH said no way. :( We'll see if she can convience him.... :teeth:

Welcome!!! your TR was one of the first ones I read when I knew Emy was getting a wish!!! :wave2:

How could one say No to such a cute face and bright colors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter