Major Hurricane Ian forecast to hit Florida next week, may be Florida's biggest in years, state of emergency declared by Florida Governor

We just drove 22 hours to get here. Had the time we did it over 3 days and now sit in a hotel close to the port . Can’t wait to get on the ship tomorrow. Still a little scared of the waves me may get this week.
That is amazing that you can do that. There is no way that I could do that anymore. I wish I was getting on the ship tomorrow. I will fly in tomorrow and hang out at WDW and keep my fingers crossed that I can get on the ship on Friday. Maybe you guys will get an extra day out to sea.

Aren't cruislines pretty flexible when it comes to hurricanes. They have to know all flights are going to be cancelled.
I called today and they said no changes to the cancellation policy yet. Still 100% penalty to cancel or rebook.

Yes I know I could lie and say I have covid and cancel that way but not an example I want to set for my kids. Hoping DCL comes to a decision tomorrow now that it looks pretty certain florida is in the direct path.

Aren't cruislines pretty flexible when it comes to hurricanes. They have to know all flights are going to be cancelled.
They don't care. Back in February, my flight was cancelled because of a severe ice storm that shut down the entire northeast region of the country. There were no flights available on Friday or Saturday and the cruise left on Saturday morning. We checked Boston, Manchester, Providence, Hartford, New York, Newark, Baltimore... We even considered driving half way and catching a flight somewhere, or taking a train and then a flight. But nothing would work to get us there on time. Disney didn't care, though.

We were a bit lucky. Disney had recently changed our itinerary from an Eastern Caribbean to a Western Caribbean because the various Virgin Islands were still being strict about Covid-19 protocols and foreign visitors. So, we were able to cancel the cruise and book back-to-back Dream cruises out of PC instead for about the same price and without paying fees. But if that hadn't happened, we'd be out of luck without travel insurance.

That is amazing that you can do that. There is no way that I could do that anymore. I wish I was getting on the ship tomorrow. I will fly in tomorrow and hang out at WDW and keep my fingers crossed that I can get on the ship on Friday. Maybe you guys will get an extra day out to sea.
Well we have a fifth wheel trailer we go away every summer so used to driving long periods of time. Though sometimes my hips say different.

Safe travels , stay healthy to all coming in for the cruises this week!

Enjoy your cruise , been waiting almost 3 years to get on a ship again so I know I’m going too. Positive thoughts the whole way. 🎉

We leave on the Fantasy on Saturday. While we live in Central Florida, things are not looking good for my mothers flight (who will be joining us) from NY for her Friday arrival. However, my biggest concern is Covid testing for my 1 year old-we were supposed to get this done on Thursday at Port Canaveral with Inspire Diagnostics. Although it is a 45 min drive for us- it looks like it will be the height of the storm. The earliest we can test would be Wednesday, which is still not ideal or looking safe. Really not feeling good about our options for getting this testing done- as the two days in our testing window seem like they are going to be the height of the storm.

They don't care. Back in February, my flight was cancelled because of a severe ice storm that shut down the entire northeast region of the country. There were no flights available on Friday or Saturday and the cruise left on Saturday morning. We checked Boston, Manchester, Providence, Hartford, New York, Newark, Baltimore... We even considered driving half way and catching a flight somewhere, or taking a train and then a flight. But nothing would work to get us there on time. Disney didn't care, though.

We were a bit lucky. Disney had recently changed our itinerary from an Eastern Caribbean to a Western Caribbean because the various Virgin Islands were still being strict about Covid-19 protocols and foreign visitors. So, we were able to cancel the cruise and book back-to-back Dream cruises out of PC instead for about the same price and without paying fees. But if that hadn't happened, we'd be out of luck without travel insurance.
That's different. A hurricane is a natural disaster. If it effects the port of embarkation or debarkation cruiselines have been very generous with cancellations. You would have to go back a few years pre-covid to find some examples of that. If its a weather problem where you live then they are not going to care.

I called today and they said no changes to the cancellation policy yet. Still 100% penalty to cancel or rebook.

Yes I know I could lie and say I have covid and cancel that way but not an example I want to set for my kids. Hoping DCL comes to a decision tomorrow now that it looks pretty certain florida is in the direct path.
Just and FYI Disney is usually slower than other cruise lines to do anything.

While they may work with an individual here or there depending on circumstances, I don't recall DCL being particularly lenient with cancellations due to prior hurricanes that did not have direct impact on the port or cruise timing. Which is most hurricanes. We won't know if this one will have such impact until maybe tomorrow or even Wednesday/Thursday. If the port is closed thus making the next cruise depart late (like next day late), then yes DCL allows changes/cancellations. But if the port is open and the cruise is expected to go out as scheduled, one needs to have travel insurance if desiring to cancel. And as gets reported here frequently, the DCL offered insurance does not cover flight-related issues unless the flights were purchased through DCL.

While they may work with an individual here or there depending on circumstances, I don't recall DCL being particularly lenient with cancellations due to prior hurricanes that did not have direct impact on the port or cruise timing. Which is most hurricanes. We won't know if this one will have such impact until maybe tomorrow or even Wednesday/Thursday. If the port is closed thus making the next cruise depart late (like next day late), then yes DCL allows changes/cancellations. But if the port is open and the cruise is expected to go out as scheduled, one needs to have travel insurance if desiring to cancel. And as gets reported here frequently, the DCL offered insurance does not cover flight-related issues unless the flights were purchased through DCL.
I did mention in my previous post when it effects the port of embarkation. I thought that is what the discussion was about not any random hurricane.

I did mention in my previous post when it effects the port of embarkation. I thought that is what the discussion was about not any random hurricane.
Your comment appeared to be in response to someone commenting about flights not covered by DCL insurance. Not about the port closing.

The airport (MCO) and various flight can be impacted without the cruise port (Port Canaveral) getting closed. My point is...it's highly unlikely that DCL will refund if Port Canaveral remains open and the cruise is schedule to go out on time. There can still be a LOT of flights cancelled or delayed causing people to miss the cruise - they need to have insurance for that and not rely on DCL to refund.

Between my work schedule, wife's work schedule, son's school, we really have no flexibility. Either we fly into Orlando Thursday, or we cannot get there. I'm guessing at this point that I'm going to be out four grand or so. And if that's the case it's also the very last straw with Disney. They've already lost most of my goodwill toward the company. If I'm out of luck due to circumstances beyond my control then Disney is dead to me. And yes, I'm very grumpy today.

That's different. A hurricane is a natural disaster. If it effects the port of embarkation or debarkation cruiselines have been very generous with cancellations. You would have to go back a few years pre-covid to find some examples of that. If its a weather problem where you live then they are not going to care.
It's not really much different. In my case, the airports near home were closed. In this case, MCO is likely to close. If that happens, then Disney still probably won't care. They'll only care if Port Canaveral itself closes.

Am I reading this right? The DCL insurance does not cover missing a cruise because of flight cancellations if the flights were not booked through Disney?

Am I reading this right? The DCL insurance does not cover missing a cruise because of flight cancellations if the flights were not booked through Disney?
That is correct. The insurance offered through DCL only covers components of your trip that are booked through DCL. If you have flights, pre- or post-cruise hotel stay, rental car, etc. that you booked on your own, those are not covered by the DCL cruise insurance.

I currently have a flight leaving from Long Island on Thursday morning, scheduled to land at 9:30am at MCO. Just received an email confirmation from the airline 5 minutes ago for the itinerary. Not sure what to think here...exactly how bad do the conditions have to be for them to cancel all incoming flights to Orlando?

Between my work schedule, wife's work schedule, son's school, we really have no flexibility. Either we fly into Orlando Thursday, or we cannot get there. I'm guessing at this point that I'm going to be out four grand or so. And if that's the case it's also the very last straw with Disney. They've already lost most of my goodwill toward the company. If I'm out of luck due to circumstances beyond my control then Disney is dead to me. And yes, I'm very grumpy today.
I am sorry that you might miss your cruise. However, you could have purchased trip insurance for a cruise during the height of hurricane season. Disney can't take the hit for that. No other cruise line would, either.

It's not really much different. In my case, the airports near home were closed. In this case, MCO is likely to close. If that happens, then Disney still probably won't care. They'll only care if Port Canaveral itself closes.
I'm not sure why Disney should "care." It's a business, not your mom. They will keep cruises operating, if they can do it safely, with the people who can make it to the ship. I'm sorry if some can't make it, but that's what trip insurance is for.

Just clarifying for folks who are worried. If you have DCL's insurance, it's true that you wouldn't be able to get your money back if your flight is cancelled (assuming it wasn't booked through DCL). However, as long as you call DCL before ship departure, you will receive 75% of your cruise fare toward a future cruise...so you don't lose everything.

I'm not sure why Disney should "care." It's a business, not your mom. They will keep cruises operating, if they can do it safely, with the people who can make it to the ship. I'm sorry if some can't make it, but that's what trip insurance is for.
I didn't write that Disney should care. I simply wrote that they don't.

Nevertheless, one might argue that treating customers well might lead to loyal repeat customers and that those folks are good for business. So, Disney might care.

However, as long as you call DCL before ship departure, you will receive 75% of your cruise fare toward a future cruise...so you don't lose everything.
Doesn't that include submitting a claim through the DCL insurance -- and the insurance will deny it. Only then does DCL's "cancel for any reason" credit kick-in. But guests do need to take the step of having the insurance deny the coverage, unless DCL streamlined that process more recently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter