• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MagicBand +

I noticed on shopDisney that many Magicbands are discounted with some available for another 25% off so I was thinking of grabbing some. Am I correct that the functionality is unchanged at DLR? You can scan in to parks, LL, and the bands react to certain things but that is about it right?

I noticed on shopDisney that many Magicbands are discounted with some available for another 25% off so I was thinking of grabbing some. Am I correct that the functionality is unchanged at DLR? You can scan in to parks, LL, and the bands react to certain things but that is about it right?
Correct. You can also use them with PhotoPass photographers.

Just make sure you get Magic Band Plus. I noticed some on ShopDisney were older versions.

We had our first DL trip in 2022, our first using Genie+. We really hated the amount of time we had to spend on our phones but understand that this is the reality of a Disney holiday these days if you want to use G+. I know with Magic Bands you still have to use your phone to book the LL's but this next trip we are definitely going to buy Magic Bands just for the convenience of checking in for our LL's and getting through the entrance gates in the morning. So much quicker and easier to scan your wrist that fiddle around with opening the App, finding the right screen scanning one ticket then refreshing and scanning the next. Believe me when you do that ten or twelve times a day, every day for a week you REALLY get sick of it.

We had our first DL trip in 2022, our first using Genie+. We really hated the amount of time we had to spend on our phones but understand that this is the reality of a Disney holiday these days if you want to use G+. I know with Magic Bands you still have to use your phone to book the LL's but this next trip we are definitely going to buy Magic Bands just for the convenience of checking in for our LL's and getting through the entrance gates in the morning. So much quicker and easier to scan your wrist that fiddle around with opening the App, finding the right screen scanning one ticket then refreshing and scanning the next. Believe me when you do that ten or twelve times a day, every day for a week you REALLY get sick of it.
We used Genie+ on our 2022 trip to WDW. We all had magic band+s. Nobody was on their phone except for me when adding another Genie+ reservation. And the only time I did that, other than in the morning, was to get another reservation after checking in line. Never while in the parks. I felt I was rarely on my phone.

Does everyone in a party have to have their own account or are Magicbands like park tickets in that I can link them to my account. I’ve seen that you need to link the bands, update firmware, etc…

We used Genie+ on our 2022 trip to WDW. We all had magic band+s. Nobody was on their phone except for me when adding another Genie+ reservation. And the only time I did that, other than in the morning, was to get another reservation after checking in line. Never while in the parks. I felt I was rarely on my phone.
Yes that is the experience I am hoping for this time around. I feel like the Magic Bands will alleviate a lot of phone time. Also this time round I am a lot more confident in how to use the booking App so I know I will be a lot more efficient and I won't be on my phone fiddling around all the time. I know now what I want and usually the best time to book it so I feel like we will be more ready for the whole G+ experience.

Yes that is the experience I am hoping for this time around. I feel like the Magic Bands will alleviate a lot of phone time. Also this time round I am a lot more confident in how to use the booking App so I know I will be a lot more efficient and I won't be on my phone fiddling around all the time. I know now what I want and usually the best time to book it so I feel like we will be more ready for the whole G+ experience.
We never ‘fiddle faddled' for better times or rides. We just got what was available when we looked. This cut down on phone use. I can imagine someone who, every 5 minutes, is looking for the better ride or time and just refreshing, refreshing, etc. - those people would be on the phone all day.

We never ‘fiddle faddled' for better times or rides. We just got what was available when we looked. This cut down on phone use. I can imagine someone who, every 5 minutes, is looking for the better ride or time and just refreshing, refreshing, etc. - those people would be on the phone all day.
Yes we don't bother doing that either. We now know what LL's push out to a late time pretty quickly at the start of the day so we make sure to book those rides first then leave the ones that we know consistently have a relatively immediate return time till later in the day. We rope drop so we can ride our favourites a couple of times early then use LL to ride again later.

Echoing others - not necessary but convenient. If you are trying to cut unnecessary costs, then don't get them. My family is not local, so our trips to Disneyland are every few years and cost at least a few thousand after all is said and done. I spent $100 total for my wife and I, (bought her one off Ebay that they no longer sell), and we'll have 6 days in the park. That's an extra $17 per day for an added convenience of just being able to tap and go and not fumble around with our phones.

This is especially important for us as our next trip is with our 1 year old and just being able to hold up our wrist for rides, entering/exiting the park, and photopass seems amazing. I know phones have become essential to the DL experience, but with MB you need to use them ust a bit less and I appreciate that.

Echoing others - not necessary but convenient. If you are trying to cut unnecessary costs, then don't get them. My family is not local, so our trips to Disneyland are every few years and cost at least a few thousand after all is said and done. I spent $100 total for my wife and I, (bought her one off Ebay that they no longer sell), and we'll have 6 days in the park. That's an extra $17 per day for an added convenience of just being able to tap and go and not fumble around with our phones.

This is especially important for us as our next trip is with our 1 year old and just being able to hold up our wrist for rides, entering/exiting the park, and photopass seems amazing. I know phones have become essential to the DL experience, but with MB you need to use them ust a bit less and I appreciate that.

Just curious about buying MB on eBay. Since MB aren't transferable was this a 'mint in box' MB?

I thought that once an MB was 'assigned' to someone it could never be 'reassigned' to another person, thus a 'used' MB would be 'useless' for a new owner.

Just curious about buying MB on eBay. Since MB aren't transferable was this a 'mint in box' MB?

I thought that once an MB was 'assigned' to someone it could never be 'reassigned' to another person, thus a 'used' MB would be 'useless' for a new owner.
Yeah, it was an unopened MB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter