• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magicband+

I really wish they would let me link my CC to the band without the hotel stay part.. you could mouse pay.
Untill then I will keep using my phone

It totally makes sense to create a more expensive Magic Band. I'm sure Disney found that a lot of people like Magic bands - but it is mostly collectors, Disney lovers and regular attendees of the parks who like to show off the design of their Magic band.

At the same time, there are probably those once in a lifetime visitors who didn't want to be bothered buying a magic band and were happy to use the included key to the world card. There is a cost to Disney for the card they were "giving away" so having most people replace it with a free app is ideal (no cost to Disney, no cost to guests).

But back to those who like magic bands - this is a way to capture more money from guests who would have previously bought a magic band. Presumably a Magicband+ will cost more than Magicband 2 and will offer higher margins to Disney.

Its too bad Magicband+ didn't include a color LCD where you could customize it - but there are probably a lot of challenges (namely battery life) with that.

If basic Magicband+'s cost $50 (versus $19.99 for a solid color Magicband 2), think about how expensive a Limited Edition Magicband+ will be. At least $100 I would think? A Dooney and Bourke LE Magicband is $58, so a Magicband+ version could easily be $150.

Count me on the list of people who will probably shell out for a Magicband+ or three though over time.

if these things end up being $100, it would be nice if there was a function that could be used at home and not just on vacation. not sure what that would be.

honestly, if they keep adding functions to the apple watch that replace the magic band, i cant see getting them. i dont like wearing 2 bands.

if these things end up being $100, it would be nice if there was a function that could be used at home and not just on vacation. not sure what that would be.

honestly, if they keep adding functions to the apple watch that replace the magic band, i cant see getting them. i dont like wearing 2 bands.
I already built a magic band reader to use my existing magic bands at home. I'm certain somebody will figure out how to make the + bands light up at home too!

I'm intrigued what can you make you MB do?
Anything my home automation system can do. I use home assistant and I can set each band to call a specific webhook to start flows in my automation. I can turn lights on and off, unlock doors, set the alarm, etc.

I started with this youtube video, though there have been several follow-ups and updates since. I take no credit for the design or the code.

Anything my home automation system can do. I use home assistant and I can set each band to call a specific webhook to start flows in my automation. I can turn lights on and off, unlock doors, set the alarm, etc.

I started with this youtube video, though there have been several follow-ups and updates since. I take no credit for the design or the code.
thats really freakin cool...but you have to be really techi to be able to do that. What i mean is, some random joe who isnt that advanced, needs to be able to use this at home somehow.

Omg this is amazing... I wish I was technically inclined

Also, I wonder what the range for the magic bands will be during the shows. What if you decide to skip the show and instead do dinner? Will your band just start lighting up inside Liberty Tree Tavern? What about in the dark on Space Mountain?
The range for those MB's is very, very short. No way will they be triggered inside an attraction.

I have a few questions first:

How long will the 50th anniversary MB stuff last, i.e. length of availability to show on the MB and how long will the interactions be in the parks?
Need to know exactly what they mean by interactions with things in the parks, the examples have been vague?
Cost -ROI?
Disney isn't great with technology when it comes to visitors; will this be worse because the system can't handle it? Had some trouble on my last visit in Sept 2021.

I am a MB person. I had no qualms about paying $5 for a MB for our last trip.
I am not interested in using my phone, having to carry it around and worry about battery usage. The new + model does look like fun.
So, we will see if it is worth my $$, just like everything Disney has to offer.
Enjoy the 50th anniversary everyone and stay safe!! :tink:

I was excited about the new Magic Bands. We are going in January and hope they are available to be used by then. We will get them because as others have said, that is who we are.
Totally. Our first family trip ever was December 2016 with the original magicbands. They were part of what made everything "magic" for me. I understand people wanting to do things on their watch and phones now, but I still love the magic band.

The first thing my son asked is "Can it show me the time yet?" :rotfl2: I should have guessed this was coming. I couldn't believe that they would just quit selling MBs. I bet my neighbor, who works at Frog, knew about this, assuming they used them again. He worked on the original MB stuff. I am sure we will buy one, but I want to see more designs first.

Hold your horses here. I see the apple wafch can get us into the park, pay, link photos. Can it trigger the photo pass during rides and open hotel rooms? What other features is it lacking?

Hold your horses here. I see the apple wafch can get us into the park, pay, link photos. Can it trigger the photo pass during rides and open hotel rooms? What other features is it lacking?
No, the Apple watch cannot currently trigger ride photos or open hotel rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter