Magical Express Replacement

If MDE really goes away in January -- which I still doubt -- they'll have some system that replaces it that provides "free" transportation to and from the airport. They aren't going to hand two billion dollars a year (50 million visitors X $40) to anyone else once things return to normal.

I agree. I don't think Disney is thinking this through. Many Disney guests literally have never traveled anywhere else. They don't want to have to worry about how to get to their resort. Maybe ordering a ride share isn't difficult for young people, but many retirees go to WDW as well. I have an uncle in his 70s who loves going. He treats his adult children and grandchildren, and they all meet at the resort. I can't imagine him needing to figure out transportation on his own to get there. If MDE does go away, I think it will be temporary. The fallout will be massive, and Disney will end up bringing it back.

Sure, but when you think about the environmental impact, a shared shuttle will be a lot better than ordering your own ride share. Plus, there may be an advantage to Mears if they get your luggage for you. I also wonder if they'll pay any royalties to Disney to continue playing the Disney shorts on the buses. That is my children's favorite part of starting our Disney trip. They love scanning their MagicBands at arrival at the airport and then watching Chip & Dale on our ride to our resort.
If Disney doesn't care enough about the environmental impact (by discontinuing DME) then whey should guests?

I agree. I don't think Disney is thinking this through. Many Disney guests literally have never traveled anywhere else. They don't want to have to worry about how to get to their resort. Maybe ordering a ride share isn't difficult for young people, but many retirees go to WDW as well. I have an uncle in his 70s who loves going. He treats his adult children and grandchildren, and they all meet at the resort. I can't imagine him needing to figure out transportation on his own to get there. If MDE does go away, I think it will be temporary. The fallout will be massive, and Disney will end up bringing it back.
The fallout is already massive. I doubt Disney brings it back. I say that cause Mears has already announced a replacement. You will be able to get a shuttle to Disney, just it will cost you now.

Hey, I'm in my 70s, and I love going too....:P

And for our trip in Apr, we found hiring a private car to be very easy, convenient, efficient, and a great way to get to our resort quickly with much less hassle. The cost round trip including a grocery stop if we wanted it, was what we would have paid way back before DME was even a idea in someone's head - a taxi.

Now days, there are many options, but being picked up at the luggage carousel, riding in a clean, quiet vehicle, and having a great conversation with a dedicated driver, instead of having to stand in a line with 500 of my closest friends and families, wait for a bus, and possibly go to several other resorts before being finally dropped, is a choice I willingly will make from now on.

I do value the luggage service DME provided as well as resort luggage/airline check-in, but we did it ourselves before DME and can do it now if that option goes away. I would willingly pay extra if that were an add-on option going forward.

Now, I understand that families may not see it the same way as some adult only travelers, but it's good to look at this from all sides.

ETA: I believe that our car service used electric cars - much less environmental impact. Many of the shuttles and buses do too, now.

The fallout is already massive. I doubt Disney brings it back. I say that cause Mears has already announced a replacement. You will be able to get a shuttle to Disney, just it will cost you now.

Yes, but I think the problem Disney will encounter is that people will have to book it on their own. I've traveled a lot around the US, and almost every hotel I've ever stayed at anywhere offers a free shuttle from the airport. You can fly into any major city, and there is an option to hop onto their shuttle. In some smaller towns, some hotels will share a shuttle. In other small towns, there hasn't been a hotel shuttle, but they will call and book a Super Shuttle or whatever for you. Disney is doing something entirely different it sounds like, and they're just saying, "Good luck getting here. You can try to book Mears or ride share on your own."

The fact that people have to figure it out on their own will be a problem for many people. I think it will especially be a problem for people who rarely travel, senior citizens, and international travelers.

The fact that people have to figure it out on their own will be a problem for many people. I think it will especially be a problem for people who rarely travel, senior citizens, and international travelers.
There are millions of travel agents who would love to assist anyone who needs help with any part of planning a Disney trip....

That’s not really going to be a viable option. Trains won’t run that frequently and the bright line trains aren’t that high capacity.

On top of that the train will go to Disney Springs. Luggage is not allowed on the normal Disney buses so you'll need to still find a way to get to your hotel.

Sure, but when you think about the environmental impact, a shared shuttle will be a lot better than ordering your own ride share. Plus, there may be an advantage to Mears if they get your luggage for you. I also wonder if they'll pay any royalties to Disney to continue playing the Disney shorts on the buses. That is my children's favorite part of starting our Disney trip. They love scanning their MagicBands at arrival at the airport and then watching Chip & Dale on our ride to our resort.

Mears was never involved in the luggage delivery. That was a separate contract Disney had with Bags Inc. Supposedly they went out of business, they did not return after the 2020 closures. Disney got rid of the checkin stations at the resorts. I think that’s gone for good.

I know this has been said before but I find it fascinating;

For 34 years, people found their way to the resort without DME. Now without it there seems to be so much concern about people not being able to figure out how to get to their hotel from MCO. Even though Mears will continue offering transportation to all hotels. I suspect from the exact same spot where DME is currently running.

I think it's going to different - not difficult.

and I was wondering if Mears was going to charge Disney for running promotional videos.
Yes, but I think the problem Disney will encounter is that people will have to book it on their own. I've traveled a lot around the US, and almost every hotel I've ever stayed at anywhere offers a free shuttle from the airport. You can fly into any major city, and there is an option to hop onto their shuttle. In some smaller towns, some hotels will share a shuttle. In other small towns, there hasn't been a hotel shuttle, but they will call and book a Super Shuttle or whatever for you. Disney is doing something entirely different it sounds like, and they're just saying, "Good luck getting here. You can try to book Mears or ride share on your own."

I can't think of any hotels, excepting hotels in an airport zone, which offer complimentary shuttle service. Disney was a big exception.

Mears was never involved in the luggage delivery. That was a separate contract Disney had with Bags Inc. Supposedly they went out of business, they did not return after the 2020 closures. Disney got rid of the checkin stations at the resorts. I think that’s gone for good.
Bags did not go out of business.

I know this has been said before but I find it fascinating;

For 34 years, people found their way to the resort without DME. Now without it there seems to be so much concern about people not being able to figure out how to get to their hotel from MCO. Even though Mears will continue offering transportation to all hotels. I suspect from the exact same spot where DME is currently running.

I think it's going to different - not difficult.
I agree. You have to do this pretty much anywhere else you travel (including every other Disney park in the world) unless you're staying really close to the airport. People will figure it out.

and I was wondering if Mears was going to charge Disney for running promotional videos.

I can't think of any hotels, excepting hotels in an airport zone, which offer complimentary shuttle service. Disney was a big exception.

Bags did not go out of business.

Really?

There are a million examples out there, but here's an example from Marriott:

Here's an example from Hyatt:

Here's an example from Hilton:

Almost every place I've traveled to has had a free shuttle when I needed it. I occasionally have rented cars at my travel destinations but usually don't. It kind of stresses me out driving in new cities. When I travel to a city, I generally stay in the middle of everything, and the hotel gets me to and from the airport. At least based on my experiences, I think it's crazy Disney won't offer a standard service.

Really?

There are a million examples out there, but here's an example from Marriott:
View attachment 574085

Here's an example from Hyatt:
View attachment 574086

Here's an example from Hilton:
View attachment 574087

Almost every place I've traveled to has had a free shuttle when I needed it. I occasionally have rented cars at my travel destinations but usually don't. It kind of stresses me out driving in new cities. When I travel to a city, I generally stay in the middle of everything, and the hotel gets me to and from the airport. At least based on my experiences, I think it's crazy Disney won't offer a standard service.
Universal doesn't offer a free shuttle service

I used to travel for work a lot, free shuttles were pretty rare. I used Super Shuttle, got a taxi or rented a car.

A lot is based on competition. If other hotels in an area offer it, they all will to stay competitive.

I’ve been traveling to Disneyland for about 15 years, they have never had a free shuttle.

Hey, I'm in my 70s, and I love going too....:P

And for our trip in Apr, we found hiring a private car to be very easy, convenient, efficient, and a great way to get to our resort quickly with much less hassle. The cost round trip including a grocery stop if we wanted it, was what we would have paid way back before DME was even a idea in someone's head - a taxi.

Now days, there are many options, but being picked up at the luggage carousel, riding in a clean, quiet vehicle, and having a great conversation with a dedicated driver, instead of having to stand in a line with 500 of my closest friends and families, wait for a bus, and possibly go to several other resorts before being finally dropped, is a choice I willingly will make from now on.

I do value the luggage service DME provided as well as resort luggage/airline check-in, but we did it ourselves before DME and can do it now if that option goes away. I would willingly pay extra if that were an add-on option going forward.

Now, I understand that families may not see it the same way as some adult only travelers, but it's good to look at this from all sides.

ETA: I believe that our car service used electric cars - much less environmental impact. Many of the shuttles and buses do too, now.

I’m right there with ya’. We did pretty much the same with a car service on our last trip. And, hey, if we “old” people can find our way across the country to MCO, we can certainly find the way to our hotel. 😂😂

According to their website, "Bags, Inc" is still very much in business and still handles bags for many hotels.

In my experience free shuttles to and from hotels is very rare. Disneyland Resort doesn't offer free shuttles yet families and seniors still manage to get there. Gotta really plan ahead for Tokyo Disney - no free service there.

Change is difficult. Especially when they are taking away perks we have grown to expect. What Disney offered in Florida was extraordinary and will be missed. But we will all still get to The World from MCO.

I did love the on site baggage check-in service at the resort- miss it and wish they would bring it back in some form

I did love the on site baggage check-in service at the resort- miss it and wish they would bring it back in some form
I always take a late flight out on my departure day so I have several hours in the parks. I loved dropping off my bags in the morning and heading out to park hop. Then returning to the resort and NOT having to wait in line at Bell Service. Missing so many perks it's making me rethink a WDW vacation...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter