"Magical Beginnings" ...

WestCoastDVC

Earning My Ears
DVC Silver
We are closing on a direct Aulani purchase with current incentives and were informed of a "new program" called "magical beginnings" where you can give back the current use year points (aka bonus points) for another $10/point off. It didn't strike us as particularly magical to sell the points back to Disney at ~half their value but your mileage may vary. Anyone else gotten this?

We are closing on a direct Aulani purchase with current incentives and were informed of a "new program" called "magical beginnings" where you can give back the current use year points (aka bonus points) for another $10/point off. It didn't strike us as particularly magical to sell the points back to Disney at ~half their value but your mileage may vary. Anyone else gotten this?
Is this for a limited time only? I was going to call tomorrow.

Is this for a limited time only? I was going to call tomorrow.

It wasn't framed to us as limited time only. It was framed as a "new program" and I assumed that meant it was more permanent. I am not sure if for all or only select resorts though.

I thought one year's points are valued at about $6 per point so $10 would be a better deal? Maybe I am misunderstanding this?
I just emailed my CM to get the details and will post once received.

That's better than what they normally give in trade for points. It's probably a reasonable option that will work for some buyers. Some don't want to deal with renting out points and most who do rent use a broker so would be getting $15.50-16/pt.

I thought one year's points are valued at about $6 per point so $10 would be a better deal? Maybe I am misunderstanding this?
I just emailed my CM to get the details and will post once received.

Well these are the 2021 points essentially without maintenance fees. Since you can rent them for ~$18 on the free market (sometimes more, sometimes less), that is the value we assigned to them ourselves.

Well these are the 2021 points essentially without maintenance fees. Since you can rent them for ~$18 on the free market (sometimes more, sometimes less), that is the value we assigned to them ourselves.
Ahhh got it, thank you.

Are you a new member or adding on points? I'm curious if they would only offer this to new members (hence the title "Magical Beginnings") or to any new contracts purchased.

And I assume they would waive the current year's dues for those points if you gave them back?

Are you a new member or adding on points? I'm curious if they would only offer this to new members (hence the title "Magical Beginnings") or to any new contracts purchased.

And I assume they would waive the current year's dues for those points if you gave them back?

Adding on so I am guessing they mean beginning of that particular contract. I didn't ask about the dues on those points (and it is only December for this year anyways which is the advantage of the first year points).

So let me get this straight… DVC is essentially going to rent back your first year of points at $10 per point?

Am I missing the “magical” part? Is there pixie dust on the check when it comes in the mail?

Technically yes, but a lot less hassle than renting. I certainly would do it if I didn’t want the points.

Interesting that it is only for buyers from the US. If we had decided to buy the 300 pt AUL I would have been defintely annoyed that I didn't have the option.

And if you aren't paying for the maintenance fees, it's actually really good. Assuming you don't want to use the points.

You probably are not paying the MFs anyway as those are calendar year not UY.

Taking this offer doesn’t really impact that. But it does give an owner at least $10/point and as I said, it I don’t need it would need to rent to recoup its a pretty easy situation.

DVC is again offering to buy back the 1st year points for new memberships. However, by the time one pays the taxes on the money they receive, for many, the amount left will not even cover a year of dues. I suspect that DVC is needing to create more availability, but their offer just seems ridiculously low. How much does DVC now charge for one time use points?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter