Magic Mobile vs. Magic Band

Ask me in June - we’re going the 4th to 11th and plan to use our Apple Watches. I’ll have a MB puck in my pocket just in case, though! (Actually, I think I’ll need the puck for photos, not sure.)
Aloha! I’m asking you in July! Lol how was your trip, hope you had a blast! How was magic mobile and did you use it for Apple watches/hotel rooms?

Aloha! I’m asking you in July! Lol how was your trip, hope you had a blast! How was magic mobile and did you use it for Apple watches/hotel rooms?
We used our watches in place of MBs for park entry. DH had a MB puck on a lanyard and used that for everything else. It was lovely not wearing two bands on my arms and not even having to put the MB watch slider on the watch band before and take it off after our trip (even though that's very easy). I had my iPhone set up for MDE Bluetooth connection, but we only got one copy of ride photos, so I don't know whether it was my husband's lanyard or my phone that caught them.

We had issues getting into the parks two of our 5 days. Once, it wouldn't work for my daughter, another time, it wouldnt work for me but each time they resolved the issue pretty quickly. I HATE weatring magic bands so was really hoping to use my phone for everything but even using the MDE app, my phone would not work to open the door at Caribbean Beach. The light would turn green but it wouldn't unlock and I was advised by a CM to take a KTTW card or magic band with me each day which kind of defeated everything I wanted in Magic Mobile so rather than helping, I was right back to where I was. Toggling to my phone to order food, check wait times, etc but then defaulting to something else to get in the room.

i wanted to update you! I got this confirmed by Disney that this is untrue!

magic Mobile 100% works on room doors: both from the watches and the phone app!
That’s great news - did you do it? I wasn’t successful with my phone in June, but I didn’t try my watch. DH had his MB puck on a lanyard so we used that.

That’s great news - did you do it? I wasn’t successful with my phone in June, but I didn’t try my watch. DH had his MB puck on a lanyard so we used that.

My sister just did! She said the watch gave her some difficulty but that her phone opened it every time!

My sister just did! She said the watch gave her some difficulty but that her phone opened it every time!
:rotfl2:I couldn't get the phone to work at all, or at least I couldn't get the timing right between tapping the phone to the lock and then pushing the handle. DH's MB worked much better! Next time though I'll try my watch!

Is she sure she was on magic mobile, and not just the MDE app? The MDE app has had the capability to open your resort door for years.

We didn’t have magic bands on our June trip to CBR because we were not going to Disney parks. The magic mobile didn’t work on any of our phones to unlock our hotel room. It was really quite an unpleasant experience after dragging our luggage all the way to Aruba. Then going back to the front desk to get card keys. Maintenance thought it was the lock itself (and worked on it for 30 minutes) but I believe the app was not functioning. It never worked during our 2 night stay.

I like the magic bands. I can just walk up anywhere and scan in. With the phone app you have to get the phone out, have the app open (I assume), and then put the phone back up.

That is one thing I don't understand about the phone app. The advantage of MagicBands was that you didn't have to get out your KTTW card (and potentially lose it). Even if you don't need to get the app open, you still have to get your phone out of wherever it is stored. I'd much rather get out a credit-card-ish KTTW and potentially lose it rather than my phone.

I think the MagicMobile was just a CYA move of Disney's so that did appear to make a backward move in tech (back to the cards) when they stopped the free magic bands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter