Magic Key Renewals

Not that anyone cares, but my guess is APs will come back when the pent up demand subsides and the park crowds die down. When that happens they will release an AP program and immediately get the desired result. Right now there's a ton of day ticket attendees. More than I have ever seen. Seems every line getting in is being held up by virtually every group getting their photos taken. I remember when this didn't happen....2019.

I still think an AP of some version has to be released soon.

https://wdwnt.com/2022/08/disney-bl...-on-unfavorable-attendance-mix-at-disneyland/

Did you see this one? Despite the 70% increase in parks revenue, the CFO is not happy with the "unfavorable attendance mix" at Disneyland, meaning, Disney doesn't like all these Magic Key holders attending the parks. Doesn't bode well for renewals....

He could have also been referring to people purchasing the cheaper Southern California ticket deal. Those bring huge crowds into the parks.

Disney logic:
  • Parks are busy
  • We can’t sell out day tickets
  • We move day ticket allocations to magic keys resulting in an unfavorable mix of guest
  • So let’s get rid of magic keys so we can continue to not fill out the parks with day ticket holders because we learned nothing last summer when the parks were empty despite being closed over a year.
  • Spring 2023: “our parks have seen a significant drop in attendance and overall revenue is down, what happened?”

Disney logic:
  • Parks are busy
  • We can’t sell out day tickets
  • We move day ticket allocations to magic keys resulting in an unfavorable mix of guest
  • So let’s get rid of magic keys so we can continue to not fill out the parks with day ticket holders because we learned nothing last summer when the parks were empty despite being closed over a year.
  • Spring 2023: “our parks have seen a significant drop in attendance and overall revenue is down, what happened?”
Considering we are headed into the Halloween and Christmas season, perhaps they’ll resume MK sales in the spring?

I might need to buy tickets for the upcoming days that I want to go after my MKs expire. But if that happens, I am probably not going to buy MKs since I will be spending part of the money I planned to spend on them for regular tickets. Disney would lose out on the revenue from my return trips, because I will likely never buy regular tickets more than once per year.

I might need to buy tickets for the upcoming days that I want to go after my MKs expire. But if that happens, I am probably not going to buy MKs since I will be spending part of the money I planned to spend on them for regular tickets. Disney would lose out on the revenue from my return trips, because I will likely never buy regular tickets more than once per year.
I agree. I think someone along the chain is thinking/hoping (wrongly) that annual pass holders will spend the equivalent cost on daily tickets.

We might buy a special event ticket once a year and save that money and do other trips. Consumer attitude has changed, Disney is showing more of its corporate side, Universal has upped it’s game, and there are more entertainment options available now more than ever.

I'm also in a similar situation coming from Hawaii. We had two trips planned for the next year if we renewed our keys but now that's no longer an option, we decided to go only once. I'm not happy but I have peace because I'll be spending less, not only at Disney but also less on airfare, which is crazy expensive too.

My take is that Magic Keys and AP is like a discount program. It allows AP holders to go more often by paying less. It also gives merch and food discount. Do I spend more by having APs? Probably. But if I don't have it, I'll still go. Just not as much. I'll probably just make most of the fewer times I go. I think most people will fall in this camp, even the locals. I think this is what Disney is aiming for. Demand will still be there for Halloween and Christmas. Sure there will be a drop-off in January and February. But Spring Break and summer vacation is just around the corner. The new Toon Town will also open in the Spring. Magic Keys or not, demand will remain strong. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I'm also in a similar situation coming from Hawaii. We had two trips planned for the next year if we renewed our keys but now that's no longer an option, we decided to go only once. I'm not happy but I have peace because I'll be spending less, not only at Disney but also less on airfare, which is crazy expensive too.

My take is that Magic Keys and AP is like a discount program. It allows AP holders to go more often by paying less. It also gives merch and food discount. Do I spend more by having APs? Probably. But if I don't have it, I'll still go. Just not as much. I'll probably just make most of the fewer times I go. I think most people will fall in this camp, even the locals. I think this is what Disney is aiming for. Demand will still be there for Halloween and Christmas. Sure there will be a drop-off in January and February. But Spring Break and summer vacation is just around the corner. The new Toon Town will also open in the Spring. Magic Keys or not, demand will remain strong. Just my opinion.
I agree. We’re in arizona and definitely go more often with the keys. If they aren’t offered, we’ll just take less trips. 🤷🏼‍♀️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter