Magic Key Passes

Omg this was my thought exactly! How in the world is attendance down??? The parks have been packed this summer.

A local friend of mine who is a huge Disney fan but not a Magic Key holder went with her family this week, stayed at the GCH and actually used the words “pretty miserable” to sum up their DL park day due to the massive crowds. Another local friend went two weeks ago and had a similar experience. I don’t think either of them will be back anytime soon.

Ugghhhhhhhhhh. I’ve warned my sister it’s going to be crowded and hot tomorrow. We’ve booked storytellers at 11:30 for a long break. They’re from Texas, so they’re used to hot weather, but we’re leaving the house at 6:20 so we’re in that garage at 7am for rope drop.

I have Tuesday booked to take my girls one more time before school starts, and we may just come late so we can do the parade and the fireworks one last time, and a few rides instead of rope dropping and spending all day in the heat.

I don’t know how much more packed the parks can be….. I mean how can attendance be down? July was miserable. So was June before the blacked out all of the Enchant Key Holders. I’m not sure what August has been like…. We’re going tomorrow. I’m preparing for the worst. 🤪

I will say we live in San Clemente and I’ve noticed this week that the beaches have been way less crowded… even in Laguna. My daughter did a surf camp a couple of weeks ago and trying to find parking to pick her up and drop her off was a nightmare. I’m hoping for my sake Disneyland is less busy than it was when we were there in July.
Yeah, I remember how great the (lack of) crowds were in summer 2019. And it was a huge deal because everyone expected the parks to be packed more than ever because of Galaxy’s Edge. But it sure didn’t feel like they were.

And they are saying there are less people in the parks this summer than there were then? Doesn’t feel that way.

It’s very odd.

Uh....Disney never releases numbers. But if your stance is still that AP holders put more money in the parks then I don't know what to say.

Neither of us can provide facts because we all know disney does not make them public. We can only go by hunches and assumptions. Mine are currently more accurate.

I think your mixing up accuracy with anecdote. Without facts, nothing you say is more accurate than anyone else.

The bottom line is, if MKs/APs were not a significant revenue source Disney and Disney could do without them (or they were somehow reducing income from ticket holders), they would be gone. MKs do bring in a significant amount of income into the parks, and not just through MK sales. Disney knows they can squeeze extra money from MKs when they need it. Otherwise, they wouldn’t offer “special” MK only merchandise items, special MK only hours, or a special MK only restaurant/terrace. They know they can “turn up” the faucet of MK spending in a way that just doesn’t work with regular ticket holders.

When can this unfavorable mix renew already
It's so nice of Disney to call us paying guests unfavorable, although no surprise- they've made fun of guests for being overweight or eating too much when they tried to justify smaller food portions.

I know it was a corporate/financial call- but com'on.

I don't like that "unfavorable guest" remark at all. Being local we have DL annual passes but
also WDW ones. I have to admit we hardly spend anything there. BUT we do spend more at WDW
because we cruise DCL more and say onsite. We just consider it an extension of the cruise.

So while not much is spent at DL there is a lot more being spent going on a few of their cruises a year
combined with WDW stay. I guess we are half an "unfavorable'? .....and sounds like that half they want
to kick to the curb.:confused3

Last edited:
It's important to clarify a couple of things here:

First, Disney didn't say "unfavorable guests," they used the phrase "unfavorable attendance mix" in regards to revenue generated at Disneyland.

Second, this was a financial call. The terms "unfavorable" and "favorable" mean specific things in the finance realm.

Unfavorable means simply that revenues were less than projected OR costs were higher than projected. Favorable means the opposite.

Since we know Disney was speaking on revenue, specifically, all this phrase means IN FINANCIAL SPEAK is "revenues per guest at Disneyland were lower than projected in the last quarter." Or, in other words "the guests who came didn't spend as much money as we projected they would."

Remember, this is the earnings call for ONE quarter. In this quarter, at Disneyland, there were 2 separate discounted ticket offers, a massive Covid surge, and no special festivals or celebrations that would bring in extra revenue. The rides have been plagued by breakdowns. I have to imagine some of that Genie+/ILL revenue was offset by refunds.

I think this phrase was taken to mean something that it wasn't, but what I think it actually means is even worse than the "unfavorable mix" being AP holders. I think what it actually is referring to are the people who used the discounted resident offer. A.K.A. "the poors."

Remember, for most of this quarter, the 2 lowest passes were blacked out. Some of these people (I know of a few) bought these tickets, but are traditionally the people who pack a lunch and park at the Gardenwalk or Uber over. They don't spend in the parks, especially if they can't even use their discounts due to their blackout.

Disney's error here was offering discounted tickets over the summer. I can't remember this ever happening before, but it would have allowed all those people who bought the lowest tier passes a somewhat affordable way to skirt the summer blackout and still not spend as much as the next higher pass cost.

Disneyland has now had 3 "bad" summers in a row. Look for next summer to have some sort of additional revenue generating event. I suspect we will see either a new summer festival or the expansion of the Food and Wine Festival like WDW has done. This is an easy way to generate interest AND revenue. I also expect significant summer hotel discounts going forward.

First, Disney didn't say "unfavorable guests," they used the phrase "unfavorable attendance mix" in regards to revenue generated at Disneyland.

Second, this was a financial call. The terms "unfavorable" and "favorable" mean specific things in the finance realm.

Unfavorable means simply that revenues were less than projected OR costs were higher than projected. Favorable means the opposite.

Since we know Disney was speaking on revenue, specifically, all this phrase means IN FINANCIAL SPEAK is "revenues per guest at Disneyland were lower than projected in the last quarter." Or, in other words "the guests who came didn't spend as much money as we projected they would."

Remember, this is the earnings call for ONE quarter. In this quarter, at Disneyland, there were 2 separate discounted ticket offers, a massive Covid surge, and no special festivals or celebrations that would bring in extra revenue. The rides have been plagued by breakdowns. I have to imagine some of that Genie+/ILL revenue was offset by refunds.

I think this phrase was taken to mean something that it wasn't, but what I think it actually means is even worse than the "unfavorable mix" being AP holders. I think what it actually is referring to are the people who used the discounted resident offer. A.K.A. "the poors."

Remember, for most of this quarter, the 2 lowest passes were blacked out. Some of these people (I know of a few) bought these tickets, but are traditionally the people who pack a lunch and park at the Gardenwalk or Uber over. They don't spend in the parks, especially if they can't even use their discounts due to their blackout.

Disney's error here was offering discounted tickets over the summer. I can't remember this ever happening before, but it would have allowed all those people who bought the lowest tier passes a somewhat affordable way to skirt the summer blackout and still not spend as much as the next higher pass cost.

Disneyland has now had 3 "bad" summers in a row. Look for next summer to have some sort of additional revenue generating event. I suspect we will see either a new summer festival or the expansion of the Food and Wine Festival like WDW has done. This is an easy way to generate interest AND revenue. I also expect significant summer hotel discounts going forward.
Imagine that, block out passholders and revenue goes in the toilet...

This is the first speculation I’ve heard that actually makes the various things they have said and done all make sense together.

It’s still very interesting that attendance is apparently down from 2019 summer. I wonder if part of the delay in pass renewals could be waiting to finalize their overall strategy for next summer before locking in pass blockout dates. 🤷‍♂️

This is the first speculation I’ve heard that actually makes the various things they have said and done all make sense together.

It’s still very interesting that attendance is apparently down from 2019 summer. I wonder if part of the delay in pass renewals could be waiting to finalize their overall strategy for next summer before locking in pass blockout dates. 🤷‍♂️

Covid didn't exist in the summer of 2019. I think the summer surge was responsible for a LOT of decreased attendance. I mean, my family missed almost the whole month of July because of it.

I also don't think its ACTUALLY been crowded at all this summer. There is a perception of crowds, due to the aforementioned ride breakdowns, lack of daytime shows and entertainment, and the mess that is G+. Its not working the way they thought it would to push crowds into the areas they wanted. No one listens to the suggestions.

Well we’re really the unfavorable mix crowd because we’re Enchant key holders and we bought the discounted resident ticket, but we splurged for the one that’s good M- Sunday so maybe we’re not THAT unfavorable. 🤣

Anyway, we were there today and spent an unbelievable amount of money- Genie Plus, LL for ROTR, Storytellers Character brunch, dinner, and snacks for 7 people.

And it was crowded. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many people sidelined to view the parade. It made leaving at 9pm super easy because there were very few people actually leaving the park and the walkways for through traffic down Main Street were completely clear.

Take the unfavorable mix/guest comment and run with it. I think its hilarous. Wear it proudly.

I will never visit Disneyland most likely. If I can get some money up to go there from North Georgia, I will just head on to Aulani instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter