Luke Family - Day 1 - Arrival at HRH & Universal Studios

whalewatcher

Travel Buff
Who we are:

Me: Fabulous wife and mother - thirtysomething
DH: Fabulous husband and father - thirtysomething
J1: Justin - age 5 - 43 inches
J2: Jeremy - age 3 - 38 inches

We flew from Newark Airport to MCO on Continental without incident. Kids were great throughout the vacation which made the trip awesome (as opposed to some disasters we've had in the past). Took Tiffany Towncar to HRH. Went to checkin at noonish. I booked a kid's suite through Universal and was told at the time that if I check in early enough I could have my choice of pool view or garden view. Well, I checked in with Maritza and was told that all kid's suites are garden view. She made two phone calls to confirm this. Has anyone out there stayed in a pool view kid's suite? Do they exist?

Anyway, we go up to room #6068 which has a view of the water taxi dock. We loved the kid's suite!!! King sized bed with couch, table, chair and TV in main room. Kid's room had two twin beds with a cute nightlight lamp between them. Kids also had a tv and a table with 4 chairs. The bathroom was big with 3 sinks and a separate shower. Also a walkin closet and minibar near the door. Only complaint really was A/C made this weird buzzing noise sometimes and housekeeping wasn't that great.

So after a 5 minute break we head over to US for J1 to ride his all-time favorite - Men in Black. Upon entry we saw lots of characters - Chuckie, Eliza, Popeye, Olive Oil, BTF scientist, and some others I forgot. J1 and DH rode MIB while J2 and I got wet in the alien coke misters outside MIB. DH rode BTF alone b/c J1 couldn't be convinced to go on it. We went to Fievel's Playland, Woody's Coaster, and glanced at Curious George. We liked all of this stuff and no waiting. It was very hot at this point.

We ate lunch at Int'l Food and Film. The chinese food looked pretty scary in there and frankly so did the other stuff but the pizza and salad we got was fine. The TVs in the seating area were playing lots of clips from violent movies.

Then we did Animal Planet Live. This show was cute but it could be better run and the microphones didn't work that well. Next we went to ET, one of the few rides with a line at 4pm. Thank goodness for Express. I don't know about the rest of you but the whole thing where they type your name in is such a waste of time, especially if you're in the express line and half the time you can't even here your name at the end anyway. The ride itself was great.

We were really hot by now and went back to swim in the pool. The kids loved being able to stand up in certain areas of the pool. Did anyone notice that the rules with the slide state that kids must be 48 inches to go down the slide?? Needless to say I saw kids as small as J2 going down (with life jackets). J1 loved the slide but had trouble swimming away once he was dumped into the pool. The tide tends to pull you into the slide. DH said J2 was too little to slide. What a wimp!!!

We had dinner at the Beach Club. Although I read several bad reviews of the BC before going, we loved it and ate there several times. The service and food were great. The prices are outrageous, of course. We recommend the cheeseburger, hot dog, quesadias, salad, fruit cup, pizza. Kids played some shuffleboard.

Put the kids to bed in their own room and they went right to sleep!!! Watched "Amazing Race." Some things never change, even on vacation.

Thanks for posting the trip report, it sound as if you had a really good 1st day! We are going to HRH/IOA/US in 12 more days, I can't wait to go. The kids suite sounds awesome, we have a standard pool view room booked, but with only 2 of us, that's really all we need. Is the Beach Club the restaurant by the pool? I suspect we will be eating dinner by the pool frequently. :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter