Luggage size restrictions

smallworldnh

DIS Veteran
Hi, I'm not sure where to ask this question, so i apologize if this is the wrong forum and could you direct me to the right one please? :)

I just bought a 30" spinner suitcase that would be more than adequate for my almost 2 week trip. it's much bigger than I thought it would be! I see that on both of the airlines I am flying with, they have a restriction of 62". The tag on the luggage says the total is 62.25"! Has anyone had any experiences or issues with larger sized luggage? Would they charge me the overage for 1/4"? Do airlines count the wheels because that would take off about 2". I did pack my bag with almost everything I will be bringing and it weights 33 pounds so the weight is okay and gives me space for souvenirs.

thank you for any info. i'm ready to take the thing back for a 29" suitcase.

Airlines do count the wheels. It is possible they will have you check it.
They'll already have to check it. A 30" bag is not a carry-on.

OP, don't rely on what it says on the tag - you should measure the bag yourself. Make sure you include all wheels and handles. I have a 29" bag that, when fully packed, is about 67 linear inches, so I would be surprised if yours is only 62.25".

Whether or not you'll get charged for an oversized bag just depends on luck.

Thanks, I might just play it safe and trade it for a 29" one. It's not worth chancing a 75.00 charge!!

Thanks, I might just play it safe and trade it for a 29" one. It's not worth chancing a 75.00 charge!!
Take a tape measure with you when you go to the store. When you measure, make sure you add a few inches since it will be bulkier when it's packed.

I think you're probably going to be in the same boat with the 29" bag. My 25" bag comes in just under 62"

I have a 28" bag and have never had any issues with oversize luggage fees, no one has ever measured it either. I am pretty impressed that yours is so light fully packed, I dance around the weight limit more than I would like to admit.

I have a 28" bag and have never had any issues with oversize luggage fees, no one has ever measured it either. I am pretty impressed that yours is so light fully packed, I dance around the weight limit more than I would like to admit.

I agree. I have a 24" that, depending on how I pack it, can push the 50lb mark, but it's an older bag that isn't as lightweight as current luggage. Then I have a newer, lightweight 28" bag that I also have to be careful with packing because it can easily end up over the 50lb mark.

Take a tape measure with you when you go to the store. When you measure, make sure you add a few inches since it will be bulkier when it's packed.

I think you're probably going to be in the same boat with the 29" bag. My 25" bag comes in just under 62"
Yikes, 25" is way too small for me for two weeks. UGH! Just when you have everything booked and paid for, there's something else to worry about! :crazy:

I'm only packing for myself. I'm meeting my adult DD in Orlando! :)

You would not be alone in "fudging" the size of your luggage.

The weight is all that has been "checked" by the Southwest Airlines Staff.

Southwest has been the "only" Airline I have flown with by current bag.

The luggage that is brought on board by some are outside the measurement

requirements too .. if the wheels are included.

It is sorta easy to spot when a roll aboard is
placed sideways because the

overhead storage will not close.

I mention the size of carry-on bags as a just-in-case the "Luggage Police"

say it is so wrong to bring a slightly over-size bag.

My thoughts are a bag a inch or two over size will be ok and it seems to be done everyday

... my2cents

Last edited:
Yes, I'm not worried about the carry on, just the checked suitcase. I'm flying SWA and JetBlue. Glad to hear that about SW!

I use a 29" bag, it's about 41 pounds when packed (my airport has a digital scale you can see). My old one was heavier to start with and I was often close to 50 pounds.

I never really gave the weight a thought. I did "practice pack" when I came up with 33 and I probably did not include everything I would actually take or what I'll be bringing home with me. The bag, unpacked, weighs 11.1 pounds so that's a consideration too. I decided I'm going to just return this big suitcase and get something a tad smaller (and lighter). I should have done that in the first place. Thanks all for your input! I appreciate it. :disrocks:

I have seen airline employees pull out measuring tapes and measure bags. They also have sizers at gates for carry on luggage. Don't count on your bag not being measured. Use luggage which fits the size and weight requirements.

I have seen airline employees pull out measuring tapes and measure bags. They also have sizers at gates for carry on luggage. Don't count on your bag not being measured. Use luggage which fits the size and weight requirements.
This is why I'm going to just get a smaller one. Not worth the chance of having to pay extra! :)

I have a sizable bag that is checked. The size has never been an issue. Weight, however, is a whole different matter!!! I've never seen them measure a bag that's being checked, and I've seen some pretty large bags getting checked. They care about weight.

Talking about weight, if you'd like to know before you head to the airport, I recommend this Balanzza scale.
I saw a review on it on TV and they compared it to the scales at the airport, for several different bags and it matched every time.
I got it right after that and it's never let us down, and I cut close to 50 lbs every trip (chronic overpacking disease here)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WUOFH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter