Luggage Locks?

wendyk

Disney Lover
OK, I've read on this board that you are not suppose to lock you luggage anymore. I've got some of those plastic cable tie things. Now, how do you get them off at your destination?

Wendy

We used nail clippers (which are now allowed in carry-on luggage). One tip - don't close the cable ties up too tight. If you leave a bit of a loop it is easier to cut off.

Also don't forget to throw some extra in for the return flight and in case they do get opened (tho I think they will then use their own).

We just flew back from Orlando last Wednesday with 7 checked bags. I had the cable ties on all of them. They checked (opened) two of my bags, and did not put any new cable ties on them. They did leave me a note inside the bags saying it was searched.

It kind of bugged me that they didn't relock it since I had used the cable ties, to make their life easier!

We got cable ties from DCL with our disembarkation tags. I didn't use them however, because they were rather small and very thin, and I had already packed larger bigger ones.

Ok. I've heard the theory that you should use cable ties instead of locks. Can someone explain why? It seems to me if people wanted to get into your luggage they could regardless of what you choose to use to secure them.

Re: locks on luggage

Yes, if someone is determined to steal your luggage and/or contents, there is probably little you can do once they are out of your sight. Thus, locks or cable ties would not make a difference.

However, let's say someone was just randomly looking for an open suitcase (not necessarily intent on a certain suitcase). That thief would likely rummage through an unlocked bag rather than one that is locked. In many ways, this scenario is similar to locking one's car. If a thief wants YOUR car, there is little you can do to prevent its theft (alarms, steering wheel locks, etc. can be disabled by good thieves in seconds). However, if some joyrider is looking for a quick ride, he is more likely to try an unlocked car or one without an alarm/"anti-theft" device.

Rmgoode~
I know exactly what you mean, now they just don't have to have the keys to luggage, they just need a nail clipper to get into our luggage!!!

I just don't like the idea, that once it's out of TSA's hand's and in the "back room", anyone has access to our luggage, not that anything's changed, it's always been like this, but now they have more access to take anything they want and there's nothing anyone (TSA- government, police, etc) will do about it. It seems like a violation. Why don't they have security camera's in the back rooms also? That may deter the few unscupulous (sp?) thiefs from stealing from our luggage. I know they fire people constantly when caught, but they should be doing something to prevent this in the first place... JMO

Not having locks on luggage make it easier for the "real Security" to check inside luggage if they have a question on the screeen without having to break your lock.

But on the other hand, if they really want my Victoria Secret's undies, they can have them... I won't put anything of "real value" in my checked luggage, just stuff that's "valuable" to me, clothes, shoes, etc.....
J. :)

The TSA requested that the public no longer use luggage locks but suggested cable ties. The TSA will inspect luggage and if you use a lock they will do whatever they need to do to get the lock off, including damaging the bag zipper if they have to. I am glad that they are using the paper to notify people if their bags were searched.

At least with cable ties it makes getting into the luggage a bit tougher than no lock at all. Anything that slows down a break in will help. We used cable ties this January on our cruise and I packed nail clipper in an outside pocket of one of the suitcases.

Of coarse Murphy's Law is at work here. We finally bought a large packet of luggage locks all keyed the same! My DH was tired of of having several different keys and having to try each one in the lock until the lock opened. We will never get to use them. Oh well. Kathy

Another advantage of cable ties rather than nothing at all.

It is true that a thief can easily cut them, but it is also true crooks are lazy (or they wouldn't be crooks).

However, I use bright (orange, blue, yellow etc) ties. If I get my luggage and the cable is cut, I can tell instantly. I then open my bag to inspect the contents.

If it was TSA, there will be a note inside.

If it is not TSA, I can raise Holy H*** immediately, before leaving the airport, thereby preserving my rights better.

I do believe that behind the scenes there is better monitoring of the non-TSA workers access. They/we don't want them to have the ability to take something out OR put something in.

That said, I carry lots of various sized straps as they come in nearly as handy as empty zip lock bags.

Jim

What about those of us who don't have suitcases with zippers? We use hard side luggage which has a key and a combo lock. What do you do then? No where to use cable ties!

1) Cable ties can be chained together to form a very long one (would reach around any suitcase, including hard-sided luggage).

2) Duct tape (glue might leave mess)

3) Celophane wrap (yes this works great too (and cheap), and protects your luggage from the baggage gorillas). Comes in different colors including clear, and it will be EASY to spot your luggage. It can be "heat shrunk" with a hairdryer for a very snug professional looking fit. You don't need nailclippers to remove it!

You can also use luggae "belts".

Get at travel store, they go around the suitcase top to bottom and un"buckle" quite easily.

Easy for TSA, a pain for thieves.

Kind of old fashion, we still see them alot in europe.

Jim

I thought that I was being so efficient by packing nail clippers that everyone reccomended on this board, except I forgot and packed them inside the suitcase. I just ran up to guest services and they kindly lent me a pair to unlock all of the bags. I am just unpacking them now, and found notes inside that they had been searched.

Zacsmom:

I notice you said you had to open your bags but when you did there was a note saying they had been searched.

Does this mean the were searched and then resealed?

If so, did you attach/enclose extra straps for resealing them?

Jim

I like the luggage strap idea, like the rainbow colored ones I've seen. We have hard-sided luggage, and obnoxious lime green (best bargain at Tuesday Morning!!). They are easy to spot but there is no way to leave the bags unlocked and have them not pop open. I will have to use luggage straps.

I'm concerned though that TSA would break the lock because even if I don't lock them I have to close them...and the combo will flip on its own from moving the luggage. I guess I will have to label the luggage with the combination.

Don't they go get you in Europe if they want to search your checked bags? I thought I saw that on TV...probably from watching "Heathrow" ("Airport" on non-BBC channels).

I flew yesterday on Southwest and checked a large bag, without any cable ties or locks (nothing worth taking but I had scissors for scrapbooking and I knew I couldn't take them in the carryon). When I got my bag after the trip, it had a cable tie on it. Inside was the notice from the TSA that they inspected the inside of my bag. So it appears that after they checked the contents, they secured it for the flight. I was pleased that it was handled in that manner.

Originally posted by rcostello1
I like the luggage strap idea, like the rainbow colored ones I've seen. We have hard-sided luggage, and obnoxious lime green (best bargain at Tuesday Morning!!). They are easy to spot but there is no way to leave the bags unlocked and have them not pop open. I will have to use luggage straps.

This is our concern with our hard side luggage.....they could easily pop open! Also, one is kind of tricky to close.....if they don't close it right our stuff will be leaking out the sidess.....I don't mind them searching, I just wish I could be there to make sure everything was properly sealed back up.

Heading out to buy those luggage belts.....are they pretty strong?

jgalecpa,

The airlines put new plastic ties on for us. If there was not a note inside, I never would have known that they were in the bag. Thank goodness, they picked the one with all of the clean, folded clothes in it.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter