Low cost ways to spread fairydust?

megs1313

DIS Veteran
On our last trip we had a couple of spontaneous opportunities to spread some fairy dust to other guests (a pack of bubbles we brought for waiting in line, some glow sticks while waiting for the fireworks) and I really, really loved those chances. Can you think of other ways we could create a little extra magic for other guests on this trip? My kids really had fun doing it, too, and I know they'll love making other kids smile when they can. TIA!

Offering photos is nice but I don't want random people handing out junk to my kids. Glow sticks at night etc is one thing but I would politely decline anything without an immediate use. I would also turn down bubbles in line, many people find them quite annoying. We can play with bubbles at home.

I agree with the bubbles, no way to know its actually bubbles. Bubbles are the only security concern i have at wdw.

I ran into someone once that if they know they cant use all their dining credits, they invite a family to join them and try to find that family that saved up and couldnt afford it. Theres still gratuity to cover, but its a nice treat for someone.

My daughter gives away lower cost trading pins to younger children when appropriate. Again looking for the family that struggled to be here. Usually its duplicates of the low cost mystery pins.

cheap squirt guns / pool toys.

Stroller help when loading on the bus / monorail / boat -Most of us have been there. Tired kids are no help. Usually the person with the stroller wants to get it out of everyone's way as much as everybody wants them to get it out of the way.

Handing off paper fastpasses you don't need.

Not causing a scene by yelling at clueless parents that are transferring their misery onto to their little kids.

Offering the, "it's gonna be ok in a few minutes" smile to the parents of the toddler having the, "I'm having too much fun to take a nap" meltdown.

We buy Disney stickers at the dollar store. There are usually 3-4 sheets of stickers in each package so we hand out sheets individually. We usually give them to kids who are in line and a little cranky. It gives them something to do.

We hit up Party City and bought a bunch of small dollar items in the aisle where they keep all the party favors so we could trade with the Jawas. Shiny things...Star Wars things etc. So we are over at Launch Bay and trading with the Jawas and a family came along with a bunch of young boys who had no idea that the trading was a thing. So I grabbed our excess favors and gave each boy an item to trade. They were very excited (gave their Mom one too!).

I have mixed feelings about these threads. I admire those who want to spread additional joy and happiness and I truly believe that these efforts are all for the best of reasons. And spreading fairy dust makes one as happy as being the recipient of fairy dust does.

But, inevitably, there will be some mention of wanting to find a needy family to bestow joy upon. How on earth do you identify the needy...in Disney, of all places?

Is it the Mom who is wearing K-Mart shorts circa 1995? Well, that's me because my threadbare shorts are comfortable and the pockets are just the right size and I can never find anything in the stores that work so well for me. Yes, they are threadbare and yes, I am going to have to give them up soon.

Is it the family eating baloney sandwiches brought into the park along with our pringles and free cups of ice water? That's my family.

Is it the child who longingly fondles the souvenir that they know they won't be allowed to buy? Again, my family

We are AP holders and fly to Disney 3-4 times a year. We are financially stable but have decided that if we do Disney cheap, we can do it often. And, boy am I cheap. I make it a challenge to myself to see just how cheaply we can do Disney each trip.

I would be appalled to be the recipient of charitable Pixie Dust if I thought that it was being bestowed due to my being less fortunate than you.

I would be polite and kind to you because I know that your intentions are honorable but I would rather you donate a pair of mittens to a homeless shelter than a bauble to me in WDW.

I agree there are better ways than handing out things to make you and your kids feel better. A few months ago there was a thread like this where family took their outgrown clothes and toys, I believe that is what it was, and handed out to those they felt needy. If my kids were younger and we were approached by someone even at Disney offering a trinket or something they'd politely say no thank you. You don't know the family, the needs of a child or the situation. Maybe mom and dad don't want child to have item. They then look like the bad person saying no. Your need to feel good about yourself put them in that situation. I can't believe people are even allowed to have bubbles in line. Also hope the squirt guns mentioned weren't for line! Or even the pool as some don't want to be squirted.

Donate to a shelter, your child's teacher would love the small trinkets for classroom, etc. There are better ways then handing out what others might not appreciate at Disney.

Some might want and appreciate the gesture, but others might not.

I do recommend extra cheap ponchos if it's easy for you. We were at the night time light show at DL and had planned and strategized so we could be along the rail. It was amazing to be that close but we knew that you got wet depending on the wind so we had brought ponchos. It was a chilly night, it would NOT have been fun to be wet. Ours came in a multi-pack and we had an extra which we offered to a little girl close to us. She and her mom were so grateful because they aren't crazy Disney internet people like we are :joker: and hadn't come prepared. So don't be afraid to be kind to people obviously, but I agree that anything based on "charity" could be embarrassing for all involved despite the wonderful intentions. I think it's important to remember that CDIP (Crazy Disney Internet People, of which I am one!) experience Disney in a different way than the average guest. We make sense to each other but to the rest of the world....it can be kind of weird! :dog2:

Someone next to us shared about half a dozen of those thin, glow sticks with our friend's child as we all waited for the opening Christmas castle show during one of the parties. It was a real treat for her, and she played with them all the rest of the night :-) Funny - all the money spend on party tickets and she was enamored with those glow sticks ;-) THANK YOU to the sweet family who shared and sprinkled pixie dust on our trip!

If you play Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, offer your duplicate cards to other players.

DD16 used to pin trade when she was younger, but now she just keeps her favorite pins on the strap of her park bag. Occasionally, she'll get other kids who want to trade, but she doesn't trade those pins. We've started keeping a few to give away so it won't seem so harsh when she doesn't want to trade.

We give our SOTMK cards to kids all the time. We have one full set, working on a second, get lots of duplicates. The little kids love to have some cards to "play with" and big brother/sister doesn't have to figure out which card to give to the sibling (who may just rip it up or fold it, etc as soon as they get it)

If my daughter and I are playing SOTMK for a set period of time (not racing to see who finishes first) I have kids around me help with the cards if they seem interested (and the parents say OK).

My kids have shared extra glow sticks, stickers or even unopened snacks while waiting for parades or fireworks, they have traded and given away somk cards and dup pins, we often take pictures of others so the entire group can be in them. Holding doors and helping with folding strollers etc - just common courtesy IMHO, Not sure I would "stock up" on extras though as that seems forced to me as opposed to just enjoying vacation and being a good guest. I don't go looking for ways to improve others vacations but if an opportunity to be helpful presents itself I hope I will recognize it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter