Low Carb Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizneegirl

Loves the Mouse
I'm going to go ahead and start a new post just for low-carb recipies, if that's alright with everyone. That way, we can find them easily.

I'll post recipes I've tried that have turned out well. Feel free to add to it!

I pulled a few out of the "help" thread... if I missed any, or you want to post more, please do!

Wovenwonder's Brocolli Salad

Broccolli Florets
Crumbled cooked bacon (reserve drippings)
Shredded cheddar cheese
chopped onion

Dressing -- Mayo, bacon drippings, and Splenda to taste

Mix first four ingredients and toss with Dressing.

YUMMY!
:)

Lettuce Tuna Rolls

1 can tuna
1-2 T mayo
1 T pickle relish with jalepeno (Mt. Olive brand - good stuff!)
a drizzle of hot pepper juice

Mix ingredients into tuna salad. Spoon equal amounts onto 4 boston lettuce leaves. Roll up leaves. Serves 2 (or 1 if you're hungry!)

From my calculations, it's only about 4 grams of carbs for the whole recipe... there are 4 grams/tablespoon in the pickle relish, and just trace in the lettuce & pepper juice. It was yummy... refreshing, light, and a little spicy!

Note: You could also use dill pickle relish with 0 carbs... would make this pretty close to a free food!

TinkerPixie's Breakfast "Cereal"

1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 packet of Equal
2 tablespoons of sugar free maple syrup

Mix cottage cheese and chopped nuts. Sprinkle with Equal, and top with sugar free maple syrup.

Spicy Cabbage-Meat Stir Fry

1/2 lb. hot sausage (bulk)
1/2 lb. ground beef
half a medium cabbage (about 1 lb.), sliced thin (like cole slaw)

Cook sausage and beef, adding black pepper to taste. Add cabbage, and continue to cook over medium-high heat. Add soy sauce, and cook until cabbage is somewhat wilted (approx. 10-15 minutes).

A little spicy, a little crunchy. Whole recipe comes to 26 grams of carbs... 4 servings easy as a main meal, 6-8 as a side.

Sausage Cheese Balls

2 packages hot sausage (the bulk packages - I used Tennessee Pride)
1 1/2 cups Atkins baking mix
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar
1/2 cup jalepeno, finely chopped
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Form into 1" balls, and place on non-greased cookie sheet (I'd use one with sides, there's some grease that bakes out). Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

NOTE: My balls came out a little bigger than 1", and I had 45 of them. I also cooked them longer than 15 minutes.

The whole recipe is about 30 grams of carbs. About .75 g per ball (if you make the bigger balls). Makes a YUMMY snack. Spicy & filling... you feel like you've actually eaten something.

You can also freeze the uncooked balls... cook some now, some later. I would guess you could halve the recipe as well, if you didn't want to make so many at once.

NOTE: Recalculated the carbs... the recipe is actually under 30 carbs. DH & I figure balls are closer to .5 carbs per (dependent on size, of course!) :) We've also been eating these almost daily as a snack... they're MUCH better hot than cold, and we haven't gotten tired of them yet!

Helen's "Potato" Salad (from Linda's Low Carb Menu & Recipes)

16 oz. bag frozen cauliflower
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 green onions
3 T. yellow mustard
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 t. pepper, or to taste
1/2 t. salt, or to taste

Cook the cauliflower until soft, but not mushy; drain well. Cool, then cut in small pieces. Mix the mustard with the mayonnaise, then mix all ingredients into the cauliflower. Chill at least 2 hours. Makes 6-8 servings (6 servings - 6 carbs) (8 servings - 4 carbs)

NOTE: I used white onion, instead of the green (probably 1/4 cup). This is really good! Believe it or not, it actually DOES taste a lot like potato salad... think I'll be making it when we have company next month.

Mashed "Faux-Tatos"

Makes 2 servings
Per serving: 160 calories; 8.5 grams carbohydrates; 4.0 grams fiber

3 cups cauliflower florets
4 Tbsp. cream cheese
1 Tbsp. butter
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Steam cauliflower until soft. Measure cream cheese into a bowl and cut into small pieces. Drain cauliflower and add to cream cheese in bowl. Using potato masher, mash the cauliflower and cheese together until mixed. Or if you prefer a smoother consistency, use electric mixer. Add butter and salt and pepper and continue mashing or beating until thoroughly mixed and/or the texture you prefer for mashed potatoes.

NOTE: I can't remember where I found this one... it was on the net somewhere! ;) I was doubtful, but this is good. I made half the recipe for 2 servings as a side, and it was plenty (not to mention, lower carbs!). I used a potato masher, and it was definitely not the consistency of mashed potatos, but tasted wonderful! Next time, I think I'd try using the mixer & getting a smoother consistency.

Here's my favorite!!

Lime Chicken in Cream Sauce

chicken breasts -- skinless and boneless.
diet lime soda (Diet Sprite)
sour cream

Directions:

Saute the chicken breasts in olive oil until browned on both sides.

Pour in enough lime soda to cover the chicken; cover the pan and let simmer until chicken is done.

Remove chicken. Reduce liquid to 1/2 - 3/4 cup.

Add enough sour cream to liquid to thicken it and let flavors meld. Pour over chicken. Garnish with sliced limes and serve!

This is delicious! I even serve it to company - it's so good, that they want to know what's in it, and they don't believe me when I tell them!

OK, you HAVE to try the Mock Danish!

Mock Danish

2 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
1 Tbs. Splenda
1 tsp. lemon concentrate
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Soften cream cheese in microwave. Mix cream cheese and egg thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Microwave on High for 2 minutes.

Should figure to about 3 - 3.5 grams of carbs for the whole thing.

Notes: I used lemon extract - don't know if they meant actual lemon juice concentrate, but extract was what I had. I softened the cream cheese for 30 seconds or so in the microwave. I also cooked it for about 2 1/2 minutes. The 2 minutes is good, but a little eggy in the middle... the 2 1/2 minutes makes it a little more "bready"... fluffier & drier. I also microwaved it right in the cereal bowl I mixed it in.

I also tried a chocolate version, but don't have it quite right yet... I think it needs more chocolate & maybe more Splenda. I used 1/2 tsp. cocoa powder, 1 tsp. sugar free chocolate syrup & 2 packets Splenda, and took out the lemon concentrate. I'll post the final when I get the chocolate right... kind of like a weak brownie right now.

Be sure and postwhen you get the chocolate one right, I'd love to try that.:D

I made fried chicken last night, DH has been attempting to eat with me on this diet, but he was craving fried chicken...so, I ground up about a half bag of pork rinds an that is what I breaded the chicken pieces with, then deep fried them. They were excellent! I did discover, that to make the crumbs adhere to the meat an egg wash was necessary, I just mixed up 1 egg with about three tablespoons of ranch dressing, and drenched the meat in that before frying. The dressing helped mask some of the pork rind flavor. This is definetly one I'll do again.

I'm going to try the pork rind crumbs to make salmon patties with a dill cream sauce... If it's good, I'll post it ;)

Spicy Fried Mozerella Sticks

2 pieces string cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup crushed hot & spicy pork rinds
oil

Cut string cheese in half across the middle, then in half again length-wise.

Dip in egg, then roll in pork rind crumbs.

Fry in hot oil - careful not to overcook or your cheese will run!

Remove to plate and dip in Bleu Cheese dressing (or Ranch, or Salsa, or your favorite low carb marinara...)

Makes one serving. Count carb grams in cheese and whatever dip you choose.

Notes: I was down to the end of a bag of the hot & spicy pork rinds (you know, where all the really hot stuff is!), and thought, hmmmmm, I bet this on fried mozerella would be good! Sure enough... the mozerella and the bleu cheese dip takes the sting out of the hot spices, yet leaves enough flavor to have a little kick.

I also didn't feel like getting out the deep fryer, so I just poured a little peanut oil in a small pan, and fried them in that, turning them a couple of times.

Here's a favorite dessert of mine now:

CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

1/4 cup of heavy cream
1 TBS of Atkins dry Chocolate Shake Mix
2 packets of Splenda

Mix the ingredients together. Continue to mix vigorously until all the dry ingredients are incorporated smoothly into the cream and it thickens up. This is absolutely DELICIOUS and has about 4 carbs per serving and 255 calories.

DG's Frosty

3/8 cup heavy cream
3/8 cup half and half
1/8 cup SF chocolate syrup
1/4 cup Egg Beaters
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 packets Splenda

Mix all ingredients together, and pour into freezer mug. Cover mug. Stir every 15-30 minutes (depending on mug, freezer, etc.) until desired consistency. Then, eat it straight out of the mug... Yum!

Approx. 7 grams of carbs for the whole thing. It's rich though, so you can easily split it into 2 servings.

Notes: I got hungry for ice cream, but don't have an ice cream maker (and no SF stuff in our grocery stores, either!) So I played around and came up with this... it's good, and you don't need any special equipment to make it (though you do need a couple of hours to stir & freeze). It's not quite ice cream, more of a Frosty or frozen hot chocolate from Dairy Queen. I used Atkins' Sugar Free Chocolate Syrup, and I think it caused little ice crystals, but with the flavor, I really didn't mind the texture!

Use Egg Beaters or equivalent (use 1 serving), since you're not going to cook this before you freeze it... they're pasteurized - better than a raw egg (though, if you'd rather use a raw egg, you can).

Get one of the freezer mugs you find at Walmart, etc... the ones with the liquid in it.

I covered the mug with an old margarine lid. Covering it is important (it wasn't freezing up without it)... and I don't know if Saran Wrap would be enough.

You may be able to cut down on the Splenda, this is just what I used. It makes a VERY sweet mix, but isn't excessively sweet once it freezes.

Tried another one from the lowcarbfriends.com board... This one is EASY and good!

Pepperocini Beef

Put a 4-5 lb roast (I buy whatever is on sale) in the crockpot and dump a good size jar of pepperocinis with juice on top. Cook on high for 1/2 hour then reduce to low and cook for 8-10 hours.

"This is spicy but soooo good!. I usually don't eat the peppers, the beef is excellent served on those microwaved cheddar or parmesan cheese chips things." (from the chef)

Note: This was really good! The outside is spicy, but not all the way through. We ate the pepperocinis too - they were wonderful! Although, don't make the mistake I did and leave the crockpot on high all day. ;) Though, the juice from the crockpot is great over the meat, in case it's a little dry.

WASA Pizza

Wasa Light Rye or Soya cracker
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced (or a couple slices off a regular tomato)
Pepperoni (or pizza topping of choice)
Mozarella
Oregano
Garlic Powder
Mrs. Dash

Put Wasa cracker on a pizza rack (if you have one) or small cookie sheet. Line with tomato slices. Sprinkle with garlic powder, oregano and Mrs. Dash. Line with pepperoni (as much as you want - double layer is great!). Top with mozarella cheese.

Put under broiler for 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned & bubbly. Enjoy!

Approx. 6 carb grams per pizza.

One makes a great snack, two would probably make a meal.

Another good one... this one from Low Carb Luxury

Peppery Turnip Fries

Ingredients:

8 medium turnips (about 2 1/2 pounds)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon Splenda
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt (sea salt works best)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Olive oil spray
Lime juice

Peel the turnips with a vegetable peeler, slice and cut into 2 1/2-by-1/2-inch sticks. Pour 1/2 cup heavy cream into a large bowl and place the turnip sticks into the cream. Fill bowl with cold water until the turnips are completely covered. Add 1 teaspoon Splenda. Swirl a bit to mix and allow to sit in cream mixture for 10-15 minutes. (This cream-soaking step removes the "bite" flavor of the turnips, leaving them with a milder, more potato-like flavor.) Rinse in colander with cool water and pat dry.

Preheat oven to 425°F.
Combine turnip sticks with the nutmeg, pepper, sea salt and Parmesan cheese in a large plastic (Ziploc-type) bag. Seal the bag and shake well to coat the turnip sticks.

Spray 2 large baking sheets lightly with the olive oil spray. Spread the turnips in a single layer on the sheets and spray again with the olive oil.

Bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 15 minutes. Turn the fries over and continue baking for 15 minutes, until the fries are tender and golden in color. Serve hot with a sprinkle of lime juice.

Makes 8 servings. Approximately 4.5 carbohydrate grams per serving.

Notes: I used 3 turnips (.75 pounds) and cut down the ingredients in about half, just about right for 2 hungry people. These are a little sweeter than french fries, but very good. Don't cut them too large or thick... the sweet/turnip taste comes out then... but shoestring, or the fresh-cut fry size is just about perfect. To get them crispy, I think you'd have to bake them longer than the 30 minutes, or maybe bake them on a pizza rack (wire or perforated). We skipped the lime juice, and ate them with mayo... yummy!

Another one from the lowcarbfriends.com bulletin boards...

Deep Dish Pizza

Egg crust:
4 ounces cream cheese
3 eggs
1/3 cup cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups shredded italian cheese blend
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1 cup of mozzarella cheese

Beat together cream cheese and eggs until smooth.
Add cream, parmesan cheese, and spices. Blend well.
Sprinkle 2 cups italian cheeses into dish.
Pour egg mixture over it.
Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.
Let stand for 5 minutes.

Spread on pizza sauce.
Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
Pile crust with your favorite toppings.
Sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese.
Return to oven and bake until bubbly and golden brown.
Allow to stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Notes: If you want it to be more of a crust than a quiche, I'd recommend using a small cookie sheet/jelly roll pan (about 10 1/2" x 15 1/2"), and baking it a few minutes longer than the recipe says (or until it turns a golden brown). I get a carb count of 16g for the whole crust... be sure to count up your toppings - they can add up! This is YUMMY! Even DH (the skeptic) thought it was great. Good as cold leftovers, too.

Took me a while to find this again...

Anyway - another recipe... good for fiber & omega-3 fatty acids, and for those days you just "gotta have" a little something sweet & bready... (of course, it helps if you like bran muffins...) Makes a good breakfast or snack item... and wonderful hot with a BIG smear of butter! :)

Bran/Flax Muffins

1 c. wheat bran
1 egg
1/2 c. cream
1/2 c. vanilla DaVinci syrup
2 T. melted butter

Mix and let stand 10 minutes.

In another bowl, mix:

1 c. flaxseed meal
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
3 packets Splenda or Stevia - optional

Add dry mixture to wet ingredients, spoon into 12 muffin cups, bake at 400° for 25 minutes.

2 grams (or under) ECC each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter