Loving the Journey - Feb 2020 W.I.S.H. Challenge

I lost track of this group in January, so I’m back for February.

I’m using NOOM, and overall I like it. The logging is similar to MyFitnessPal, but the best part is the psychological aspect of the program. I’m not nuts about the support group they put me in. I’m unable to do a lot of exercise due to injuries. I have people in my group hiking 6 miles up an icy mountain; running marathons, etc. I’m excited if I can beat my step goal of 3,000 a day.

Anyway, I am happy to be here.
Good for you, it's about your own journey!

Although I am active and over the course of several years lost weight, I am here for personal reflection. My 2020 goal is to go outside Every, Single. Day, rain, cold, snow, and walk a couple miles, breathe, pray for others, and reflect and be thankful for all I have in life, practice mindfulness.

Joining in here gives me one more piece of motivation. I love hearing other people's stories.

I am doing as I have been at work yesterday and today. I am pretty sure all of this is due to my ear. I went to the doctor on Wednesday because it was really bothering me. It is not infected yet. It is full of fluid and if I can't get it to drain it will get infected. I am a bit more congested and coughing more today but nothing bad. I am taking Sudafed in hopes that it will dry up the all of the fluid. So far no luck. I do still get sick to my stomach at times but not as bad as Tuesday. I think once everything drains I will be fine.

Kids had conferences on Wednesday. I wanted no part of being in that school. They are still having over 200 kids out a day with what seems like no break in site. I did go but I touched the least amount of stuff as possible and used hand sanitizer as much as possible. I even washed my hands as soon as I got in the house. Knock on wood DS seems to be fine and hasn't had any signs of getting anything. I think he has a great immune system from being at a daycare when he was little and getting everything under the sun. DD is getting really paraniod about getting sick. She now has her own Clorox wipes that she is using on her locker and on her desk in each room. She also mentioned that she is washing her hands after each class as long as she has time.

The weekend will be low key. So we can all rest and I can finally get to my mom's house. I have been trying for about a month to get to her house but something comes up or someone has been sick. So far this weekend should be good.

Update from Thursday
Scale was a bit up but still in my x73-75 range with occasional ventures into the x72, x76 and x77 (really don't want to see those last 2 numbers especially the last one until x is a different number is below the current one then they can show up again hopefully only briefly.
Finally got 15 year old moving so we could run 12 year old's urine sample in for the mitrocondria testing and see if we could get some of the money owed for 4-H fruit sales collected as they are supposed to turn as much as they can in at the club collection day which is coming up on the 27th.
We ended up taking 12 year old with us as it was getting really close to time for DH to leave for work and I was concerned we wouldn't make it back and didn't want to make a trip into the smaller town again today. I won't bore you with all the details but the sample was not large enough so 15 year old started operation push the liquids to make 12 year old go potty. We got her a peanut butter smoothie, some chocolate milk, some apple juice, pretzels, chips, and supplies to make oreo shakes.
When we finally got home as we had to go to both the smaller town and the larger town for things we started in have some more salty food to make her thirsty now drink some water, have some chocolate milk. I don't think the apple juice got opened. Occasionally it was time to try and go potty to see if we could get it done because no one was looking forward to even the idea of having to schedule her for a cath proceedure considering how much she fought us with the blood draw. After a long evening and into the night SUCCESS WE HAD GOTTEN IT DONE. 15 year old made her an oreo shake to celebrate

Good for you, it's about your own journey!

Although I am active and over the course of several years lost weight, I am here for personal reflection. My 2020 goal is to go outside Every, Single. Day, rain, cold, snow, and walk a couple miles, breathe, pray for others, and reflect and be thankful for all I have in life, practice mindfulness.

Joining in here gives me one more piece of motivation. I love hearing other people's stories.
Welcome! Being outside is so important to our physical and mental health - great goal!

I am doing as I have been at work yesterday and today. I am pretty sure all of this is due to my ear. I went to the doctor on Wednesday because it was really bothering me. It is not infected yet. It is full of fluid and if I can't get it to drain it will get infected. I am a bit more congested and coughing more today but nothing bad. I am taking Sudafed in hopes that it will dry up the all of the fluid. So far no luck. I do still get sick to my stomach at times but not as bad as Tuesday. I think once everything drains I will be fine.

Kids had conferences on Wednesday. I wanted no part of being in that school. They are still having over 200 kids out a day with what seems like no break in site. I did go but I touched the least amount of stuff as possible and used hand sanitizer as much as possible. I even washed my hands as soon as I got in the house. Knock on wood DS seems to be fine and hasn't had any signs of getting anything. I think he has a great immune system from being at a daycare when he was little and getting everything under the sun. DD is getting really paraniod about getting sick. She now has her own Clorox wipes that she is using on her locker and on her desk in each room. She also mentioned that she is washing her hands after each class as long as she has time.

The weekend will be low key. So we can all rest and I can finally get to my mom's house. I have been trying for about a month to get to her house but something comes up or someone has been sick. So far this weekend should be good.
It's it amazing how much our ears affect our general health... hope you are feeling better soon.

What is it about Friday night. I want to eat all the food. All the bad food!

Since it's Friday and Valentine's Day, and the end of a long week, DH and I actually gave each other permission to eat the bad food tonight. We've ordered Chinese, and it should be here soon.

:welcome: I love your goal, too!

I am doing as I have been at work yesterday and today. I am pretty sure all of this is due to my ear. I went to the doctor on Wednesday because it was really bothering me. It is not infected yet. It is full of fluid and if I can't get it to drain it will get infected...

I've had good luck with: This Stuff.

Since it's Friday and Valentine's Day, and the end of a long week, DH and I actually gave each other permission to eat the bad food tonight. We've ordered Chinese, and it should be here soon.
I love it! Great minds think alike! I just called in our order for Chinese two minutes ago lol.:laughing:

I had a light lunch and no afternoon snack so that I could have take-out for dinner...I'm sooooo hungry!!!

I smashed it last week!
:clapping:

2 body weight strength workouts - they are only 30 minutes and done at home
1 zumba my body isn't loving it tbh but I am glad I am trying things and finding time for myself
7 hours average sleep whaaaat? my average usually is 6!
14500 steps average a day, daily outdoor walk
1600 calories average day. I decided to buckle up (down?) little bit.
I did my 10minutes mediation only 4 out of 7 days - room for improvement, I will shoot for 5 next week.
Half plate veggies every meal
About 1.4kg down on the scale

I had 2 very hungry days towards the end of the week. I had oats instead of omelette one of the days and I wonder if the lower protein was part of it. And I had soup for lunch the other - again probably too low protein. I was hungrier in the evening. I just ate more the days with lower hunger made up for it.

Yesterday - Friday, St Valentines I felt really tempted to ditch my planned meal and go out for food. I know I will be eating out today but I thought - it's Friday, I worked hard, it's st valentines. The reality is that is BS thinking (thanks namaste, my DH needs to talk to you!!!!) and what I really want is to eat well, have energy and confidence, and feel healthier. I want to fit in my lovely clothes that are currently boxed and put away. I decided I am going to have earlier dinner, doubled up on salmon and had lovely fruit salad in the end - all temptation was gone. Yes it took 1900 calories yesterday to eat at my minimum happy calories but way less than if we went out for Inidian meal. I think being sick half of the winter gave me wake up call I needed. I already lost 2kg in January but this felt like week one for me.

I will enjoy my meal out today with zero guilt

@Oneanne I am so grateful that you jumped right in and took over this week - and with amazing topics! Thank you very much! :flower3:

I especially had to think about Tuesday's question quite a bit. I think I am far too much governed by my inner parent. I don't think I am a bad inner parent to myself, but I do set very high goals for me and set myself up for being disappointed. And therefore lose trust in my own abilities. I had amazing news at work last week about a review that was far far better than I thought was justified. It sets me on fast track for an upcoming promotion. I know part of it was luck, but as my friends at work pointed out: I am really good at what I do and I shouldn't feel like a fraudster. I guess part of this is what they talk about how women are less in higher positions because they are more critical about themselves. Anyway, back to the inner parent. One of my issues is that the fear of disappointing my inner parent often is very paralyzing. Because I am afraid to fail I just go into hiding. That's what I did here at the beginning of last week. I am actually really happy that I was able to admit to my failure to all of you - and then received the help I needed. I think if I hadn't done that I would have disappeared from this thread for a month... So, that's something that needs to be worked on.

As to weight loss the last two weeks have been horrible. I ate whatever I could find. Ugh... Good thing is that I wasn't able to find that much. And there is a limit at how much damage you dan do with a bag of fried tofu...

Talking about the tofu: I am thrilled that I have finally found a good tofu!! This weekend I am planning on making a large batch of vegetable and tofu curry which should last for three meals. Just need to figure out which veggies are good for-reheating.

Ironically the first valentines day out of 6 that has not fallen on a day that DH has work that we would not have had to worry about a babysitter because 15 year old could have watched 12 year old and what do you know we didn't have the money in the budget to celebrate or do anything. I thought about doing the Olive Garden Valentines dinner for two since we have a gift card for there from my brother and his family that we got as a Christmas gift but then I read that it was to go.
Ok this is what would have happened. The soup or salad choice while DH and I would have gotten soup at least on of them would have been nabbed by 15 year old, the breadsticks and alfrado dipping sauce would have been taken by 12 year old. We might have gotten our entres that we choose from the selection of ones they had but then again risk of at least one kid taking some of the food and the dessert well I didn't care for either of the options so needless to say we skipped doing anything.
Saturday we were supposed to go to a cat meeting for 15 year old and a photography meeting for 12 year old but I saw late Friday night on facebook (good thing because typically I get notifications for things like calls to join in on for my business 2-3 days after they happen due to some algarythem on facebook) that photography was cancelled and then when 15 year old finally made it upstairs instead of being dressed to head to town like I thought she would be she was not and told me that she wasn't feeling that well and asking if she really had to go.
Since it was 9:45 and we would have to leave perferably by 10:10 with 10:20 at the absolute latest due to there being the all class (MT high schools that compete in the MT High School Athletic Assosciation are ranked by size and are called from smallest to largest C (less than 250 students but most are less than 100 students) B (250-500 students) A (500-1000 students though there is at least one that should honestly be reclassified as B because their enrollment is way down due to the mine and smelter shut down done in the early 1980s) and AA (over 1000 students) and are all the public schools along with a small handful of catholic high schools. Needless to say it is a lot of people and a lot of traffic down there especially if it is between quarter or semi finals as schools are changing as well as the fans coming to support different schools so where normally we can leave between 10:30 and 10:40 and make it down there depending how early we want to walk in the door today was not going to be one of those days.
My plan was to stop and pick up some half priced candy after going to get some money out of the atm on our way home either by sending 15 year old into the store and having her phone me as to what the selection was and the prices or going in myself while she sat in the car with the cat. Since we did not go to cat I was not making a special trip into town.

Last edited:
Week 3

Lets play pretend. I am 18 year old teen called Kelsey.
I am in university away from home, overweight, full of excuses and poor habits. Exams are stressful, I am home sick, my boyfriend is a cheat, cooking is too hard, the groceries shop is too full, I have too much to study and all the very real and never ending parts of life that keep happening.

It's Sunday. I am sitting my on the couch and browsing the net looking for opportunity to give out and feel sorry for myself. You are my life coach/dietitian who needs to do some straight talking and get me to do my groceries shopping and some easy meal prep and drop the excuses and take responsibility! I am 18 so ... good luck with that!

Your turn.

WT-SermonImagesUpToYou.jpg

Last edited:
I would point Kelsey to some of the easiest study snacks around -

cheese & crackers and apples
mixed nuts and oranges
bananas and sunflower seeds

Once she's not "too hungry to cook" it will get easier. To stay motivated, she's got to keep her blood sugar up (fruit) and steady (protein).

Then we look at the student union boards for a group she can join - a hiking club or something that makes exercise fun, a cooking club so she can share the work, anything that gives her a little external structure when her internal structure is flagging.

Next, we check out the course catalog - see if there is a nutrition class or something that will fulfill one of her requirements. What she won't do for her health, she might do for her grades.

I would get her some emotional support because she is:
1. Home sick
2. Not getting the love and loyalty she needs from her cheating boyfriend
3. Stressed out by exams

She might benefit from on-campus counseling. A visit home or a visitor from home could help. Academic support from a professor and/or study group.

Once her emotional needs are met, she will care more about herself and be better equipped to make healthy food choices instead of binging on junk.

My mother died of cancer during my first semester of college. My father moved to Florida three months later and left me at the house to deal with paying the mortgage and other bills while putting myself through college. I had to get roommates, work full-time, and attend college part time while mourning the death of my mother, my best friend, my protector, my everything. I had to grow up very fast. I was a thin, healthy, young lady who began a pattern of emotional eating to cope with my very scary situation. Within 6 months of my mother’s death, I gained 25 pounds. I have never lost that weight...only added on another 70 pounds over the next 33 years. If I had gotten help back then dealing with my grief, fear, and stress in a more healthy way, I would not be obese now.

If I had gotten help back then dealing with my grief, fear, and stress in a more healthy way, I would not be obese now

I am sorry you had to go through this!!:hug:

As to the question: It sounds a bit like what my college experience was like. For me the first step to get in a better path was that I got involved with the law faculty’s student council. I enjoyed the group that was volunteering for this and the work. It was the first step to building a support network.

I think to some extent both previous answers draw on the need of a support network. Whether it’s a hiking club or a councilor. I think that’s one of the reasons why Weight Watchers works for so many people. So, my advice would to find a group to belong to. Not just go to a gym class. Get involved in something that has a common purpose.

I would get her some emotional support because she is:
1. Home sick
2. Not getting the love and loyalty she needs from her cheating boyfriend
3. Stressed out by exams

She might benefit from on-campus counseling. A visit home or a visitor from home could help. Academic support from a professor and/or study group.

Once her emotional needs are met, she will care more about herself and be better equipped to make healthy food choices instead of binging on junk.

My mother died of cancer during my first semester of college. My father moved to Florida three months later and left me at the house to deal with paying the mortgage and other bills while putting myself through college. I had to get roommates, work full-time, and attend college part time while mourning the death of my mother, my best friend, my protector, my everything. I had to grow up very fast. I was a thin, healthy, young lady who began a pattern of emotional eating to cope with my very scary situation. Within 6 months of my mother’s death, I gained 25 pounds. I have never lost that weight...only added on another 70 pounds over the next 33 years. If I had gotten help back then dealing with my grief, fear, and stress in a more healthy way, I would not be obese now.

I am really sorry that you have gone through such hard time. I lost my mum when I was 9, I can relate.

Motivation Monday​

Re post of my favourite quote for the art of weight maintenance

"What I’ve found is that it’s less about being motivated than it is about being conditioned with your habits — having the keystone habits in place that will keep you doing those things even when motivation is waning, which it will. One of the biggest misconceptions is that you have to feel motivated in order to do the behaviors necessary to keep you at your goal weight. I have found just the opposite to be true; if you do the behaviors, you then receive motivation. You feel better. Those behaviors bring on a determination to do more healthy, positive things."

Let's talk to Kelsey about doing the things that need to be done to get us and keep us at healthy weight, even if we don't feel like it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter